• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

soft wishbone tangling

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

uluapoundr

Mar 21, 2003
Anyone shooting soft (dyneema, spectra, kevlar) wishbones experience tangling in the shooting line? If so, what is the cause? I have a setup that is tangling more than 75% of the time. Any suggestions?

I have that same problem sometimes - the shooting line loops around the bottom of the bands. Frustrating as heck when you're deep with a reel-gun & you can't even use the reel. :(

Tapering the bands & shortening the wishbones brought my tangle rate down considerably, but sometimes it's just the way the bands recoil. Some guns have a higher rate of tangling up. Which gun is this?

It's only happen once with me with my RA 130. I use a floatline so it isn't a major problem.

Hi Harold,
This is my RA 120 with double 16mm bands. I did make longer bands, which may be throwing off the timing. Do you think it's the lower band which tends to flip over and grab the shooting line? Aaron at RA USA thought it might be that. I did shorten them and the wishbones to see if this helps. I have 1 1/2 wrap shooting line and a bungee breakaway. I will put on a Pelagic 80 reel but still want 1 1/2 wraps.

The bands weren't tappered.

Just happen once... but I shoot a tail' head at such a close range that the spear slow down before fee completely the gun. All the shooting line get tangle around the rubbers (1*20 tapered/ short wishbone) and the muzzle. I was glad to see the fish spasms... otherwise I may have loose the gun (130 RA carbon).
Most of the guns around here use a soft dynema wishbone, and I never heard of the problem...

I thread the RA on a specific way to keep spear noises down, everyone says I go to get tangle... but so far so good and silent!
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=49569

Hi Uluapoundr,

Do you use a swivel in your shooting line? Try running your hand trough the shooting line from the muzzle to the spear before loading the spear in the speargun. Sometimes the shooting line gets twisted and will cause the tangle in the bands.

Also pay atention to shooting line position after you load the the bands, specialy at the muzzle.

it could also be a bad placed sleeve (the one that connect to the spear).

Cheers,
Rui

Rui,
I have a trolling swivel that attaches from my floatline to the shooting line, but I don't have a swivel on my shooting line. You are right, the line could be twisted when I wrap it on the gun. I'll try to make note of that the next time I wrap the line. I put a reel on the gun, I'll make sure to put a good swivel.

I am using 250 lb test mono, I think it came with 400 or a thick 300. I have 250 on other guns with no problem. I also use 200 on my smaller euro guns.

I'll try to get in the water on Saturday and try out the new setup.

OK some thoughts...

If it is not the shooting line twisiting or not sitting right (quite likely) then some of the following may help!

With your rubbers try switching which notch you load on... eg if you always load your upper rubber to the 1st notch try it on the last notch.

Make sure your crimp is very tidy, this is probly the most likely problem with the gun.

Dynema usually causes this problem rather then mono as it is not as stiff as the mono so by going to the larger # mono you may find a little increased stiffness/memory helps out.

Those would be the first things I would look into!

let us know how you go!
Rob

I gave up trying to figure out what I did wrong with my setup. I was losing too much dive time and without a pool to test in, it was easier to just scrap the muzzle for an after market open muzzle.

See my post on open muzzles.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT