• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Solo spearfishing for flatfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Jun 8, 2020
I will spend the next two weekends in the south of Denmark spearfishing for flatfish. Unfortunately I can't find a divebuddy. I am from Germany where it is illegal to spearfish and I do not have many contacts in Denmark which makes it pretty hard to find somebody to dive with. I really don't want to cancel my trip because of that so I am planning to snorkel in shallow water where I can see the bottom and spot the fish without diving. I would only go on the occasional duck dive to secure a fish and will have a watch with me to check my dive time. My plan is to stay underwater for a maximum of 40 seconds. I am aware of the shallow water blackout and know that there is always a risk. Do you have any tips on how to lower the risk even more?

Best regards, Laurin

I usually spearfish alone. Be careful. Don't push times and depths too much; give yourself time to"acclimatize"/adjust comfortably naturally and gradually. Have friends or family on shore/nearby if you can; with a phone to call the coast guard if necessary

Btw for shallow depths, if diving down and staying down a while, you normally need to carry more weight than when deep diving. But again be careful

Good luck Laurin. Stay safe

Reactions: Dragonier
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…