• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Solo Training?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

DaKahuna

Sep 20, 2003
Hi All,
I unfortunately end up diving alone about 50% of the time. I have just begun doing some apnea training that seems to be showing results after only a couple of sessions. This makes me want to practice going deeper. Yesterday, I made it to 50 ft for the first time.... while diving solo.
Yes, I know some will say that I am shooting for one of the "Darwin" awards, but I am trying to be conservative in my dives.
My methodology was to start by acheiving a depth I was confident in, 30 ft. Then I would repeat that depth and check for 10 seconds bottom time. If successful, I would increase about 5 feet in depth. I told myself that if I experienced any contractions during ascent, I would not go any deeper. Using this method I reached 50 ft, and didn't even repeat the depth to check for bottom time. I was happy to stop there for the day.

So, I would like any and all advice on my techniques as I am still fairly new to this, having started about 8 months ago, and never getting the opportunity to dive with more experienced people. Shoot - half the time, I have been diving alone! Thanks in advance for any words of wisdom.

Diving solo is certianly not the safest thing to do, however there some freedivers who dive solo regularly. Solo training on the other hand (increasing depths and times) is certianly dangerous. I used to solo freedive regulaurly until reading the thread below...
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=39696
Read every post if you can spare the time. The thoughts on that thread changed my opinion from one of diving carefully solo, to one of not diving solo at all anymore. You can watch my opinion changing in my posts as I participated in the thread.

One more good thread:
http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=40900

Whatever you end up doing, be careful and stay safe.
Aaron

Thanks for the links flyboy, I read them all the way through.
I will be incorporating the "no purging" part into my guidelines as I continue to dive solo.
As a general rule, I spend most of my time diving in 15-25 ft just because that's where the fish I am hunting usually are. I don't spend much time going for PB's, and from here on out I won't be experimenting while alone.
Any other recommendations for ways to keep dives conservative, besides not doing them, are still very welcome.

Dear all

I am the last one to point a finger at someone who freedives alone. I wouldn't be surprised if among those who criticize solo-freediving would be some who would find 1000 excuses why they wouldn't want to join You if You asked them for their company.

I have been freediving now for 35 Years and in the beginning I even did personal bests by myself - ignorantly. Then I participated at the first competition, that was in Sardinia in '98 where I saw the other side of the coin: (Sambas, BO's).

The next couple years were easy to find company, but as the structures started to crystallize, I saw the need to start all over again (i.e: finding people to go a little bit deeper with and still have fun at the same time. Is this possible? Or is the human nature already so degenerated? I am also asking myself :) )

Relatively compared: for every 10000 dives done in competition we may expect 800-1000 casualties but may be only one fatal case out of 10000 dives done alone. But can we even take a chance to risk death even in 1:10000?

In competition there is maximum safety with maximum stress whereas by yourself there is no stress but also no safety. In competition people become familiar with the elements and may unlearn to listen to their body signals.

Being by ourselves we behave differently: reputation doesn't matter, we are at awe of the elements and can discern the smallest, almost inconceivable body-signals.

In summary: I still recommend not to dive alone (unless it is impossible to find someone else, and in this case I suggest to stay very conservative.)

Just as pkotik pointed out in some other thread dealing with the same issue: freediving alone is irresponsible towards our loved ones and tantamount to gambling with their lives. With love and consideration as supreme guideline we wouldn't want to freedive alone because of:

1. hurting those we would leave behind
2. Missing the joy in shared adventure and in celebrating each others success (personal bests).

I wish You all safe and pleasant dives - hopefully with a nice buddy that You can share Your joy with!

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT