• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Some answers for a new guy

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Buzz

Jun 30, 2002
Most of the spearfishing I have ever done has been over shallow coral reefs that did not require much bottom time to be succesful. I plan to do most of my diving from now on off the Gulf Coast of Florida near the Mexico Beach area. I have yet to get down there and give a shot, and was wondering what to expect. How deep should I expect to be diving to find fish worthy of taking home? There are a few wrecks in 30 feet of water, but I would not think they would hold many fish. Most of the productive bottom structure is in 60 to 80 feet. Are these depths out of reach for the average freediver to be succesful at shooting fish? Most of these questions I hope to answer for myself in few weeks if I can break free and head to the beach, but I am just curious.

Originally posted by Buzz
Most of the productive bottom structure is in 60 to 80 feet. Are these depths out of reach for the average freediver to be succesful at shooting fish? B]

Yes. Call a local shop for the 411, egt the numbers of a club and go with some of their members... cut the learning curve in half for yourself.

sven

I appreciate the info. I will definitely try to hook up with someone to show me the ropes the first few times. By the way, how long do most folks spend undewater on a typical dive when spearing?
I feel comfortable kicking underwater in the pool with fins for only about 1 1/2 minutes, but can consistantly hold a static time of 4 minutes. Just trying to judge whether my current abilities are up to par. Thanks.

Buzz

Don't worry about the times... just go in and down and have a good time. Later when the times and depths become an issue, you can sweat it. The comparison with others is just something else that will need to take a back seat, as there's enough to think about...

sven

buzz,

i've been able to accomplish most anything i need to do while spearfishing in under a minute. unless you're comfortable working at depth for 2.5+minutes, i'd stick to an efficient and safe time. most of my long dives are just to scout out an area. once i find something, i'll surface, breath up and go look for a shot, but all w/in the minute time frame on that next dive. i'd suggest that longer times should always include a buddy in the close proximity.

get used to the reef before you start hitting wrecks. knowing your equipment and how to comfortably handle fish, is only a minor precursor to being able to hunt deep wrecks.

good luck,
anderson

Buzz,

Don't look at the number on my post but be rest assured that I am no more than a 25 foot freediver. Listen to these two gentlemen..they are very right. Even me find good fishes at 20 feet or less if the location is good. I am a scubadiver, I dive all the way to 100+ but some of the best & biggest fishes I seen on scuba were almost always less than 60 feet deep. If pelagic is what u are after mid water is best. This is why me want to learn to freedive too. Silence is more productive.

Have fun.

IYA

Thanks guys. I appreciate the input. I just got back from the coast last night. I did not get a chance to spend much time in the water, but did hook up with some local commercial fisherman in town and picked their brains about some local areas. They said there should be plenty of good fish in 25 to 30 of water, but I would not find them on public numbers or other well known sites. It is just a matter of spending time on the water and finding my own spots. Now I just have to figure out a way to find more time to be on the water. Thanks again.

Buzz

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT