• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Some more Leaderfins questions :)...

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

CrazySwede

Feb 5, 2015
Hello!

I know there is a lot of questions about Leaderfins, tried searching for a mega-thread but didn't find any so here goes. Would be very helpful if any of you could help me out!

I am interested in buying a pair of Leaderfins. I've been using Cressi Gara 3000LD (too narrow) and mainly Omer Stingrays in plastic. I dive in Sweden and my intention is to dive outside all-year-round including winter. Will use them for casual freediving/snorkeling 5-10 meters, CWT to about 35-45 meters, and DYN in pool.

I have read that the Leaderfins footpockets run a little bigger than Omer Stingrays, so I will keep that in mind when ordering. I have also read that the Omer Stingray footpockets can be used with the Leaderfins blades, but that the Leaderfins footpockets are softer.

I will most certainly buy a pair of glassfibre in medium for starting out. But I am ready to buy another pair or two if this would make an impact on my diving, for example another stiffness or material (carbon?). I weigh 75-80 kg and stand about 180 cm tall. I am now using Omer Stingray fins size EU 41-42 with no socks, EU 43-44 with 3 or 5 mm socks, EU 45-46 with 7 mm socks. My shoesize is usually around EU 43-44.

1. Would a single pair of fins suit all of the disciplines I mentioned (casual freediving 5-10m, CWT 35-45m, DYN)? I am thinking that maybe for CWT 35-45 m, a stiffer fin would be a better choice.

2. Is there any difference in material/performance at all between the different looks of the glassfibre fins? Im looking at Abyss Pro (all black), Black-Camo (black camo), and ICE (transparent). I would really like the ICE fins because I have read about other ICE fins being very helpful in getting close to underwater life.

3. Is it possible to peel the "Leaderfins"-logo off the fin? If ordering the ICE fins I would really prefer if the logo wasn't there at all.

4. Will glassfibre and/or carbon fins get stiffer in cold waters (from 1°C to 10°C)?

Will keep this thread updated about my future Leaderfins!

So I actually found the mega-thread ( https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/leaderfins.85924/ )... If mod prefer, feel free to move the thread there... Sorry!

Anyway I got a response from Leaderfins customer service:

Our foot pockets sizes similar Omer stingray.

Difference between blades – only color.

Sticker leaderfins – you can remove.

That answers some the questions. Thou I still feel that the different coatings/colors in some minor way HAVE to affect performance of the blade...

Well I went ahead and ordered a pair of Stereofins ICE.

Re: Leader Fins
I have 5 pair of Leader fins of various models and can only give you the benefit of my experience with them.
I have also posted a review on their website about the pure carbon fins.
All my fins are med with foot pocket size 42-44, with the exception of a carbon pair which are soft.
The Pure Carbon I use the most for cwt to 50m, exploring and the occasional spearfish. The Carbon (soft) i use for mainly surface swims/snorkeling/safety diver. The Ice model/fibre glass types i use for dyn training in the pool.
I find medium feels soft anyway compared to a lot of other fins as you will find out. I get better performance from the Pure Carbon model compared to the Fibre Glass models. The reason I don't use the carbons in the pool is they get badly scratched and scuffed and chlorinated water is not kind to equipment, so I'll use a cheaper pair for that activity.
I also use a pair of C4/82's which are very soft comparatively.
The price point for Leader fins is the clincher for me, C4 are twice the cost but I feel they're not twice the fin for what I get from them.
Enjoy your purchase.

Alright, I got my fins. They were shipped pretty quickly. They feel nice, as they should (have tested a friends Leaderfins same size same stiffness).

Though I was surprised about a few things:

1. The blade, if bought together with the Leaderfins footpocket (named as Stereofins), does not fit the Omer Stingray pockets. The pre-drilled holes does not align with the Omer Stingray footpockets. I have asked Leaderfins customer support and they do not recommend using the pre-drilled blade for Omer Stingray. They implied that if I wanted to use Omer Stingray footpockets with their blades, I should instead buy the blades only (named Stereoblades) and drill the holes myself (the Stereoblades without footpocket does not come pre-drilled). See picture 1-1.png, 1-2.jpg, 1-3.jpg.
1-1.png

2. The plastic parts seem a bit low quality compared the Omer Stingrays. This is probably only a cosmetic issue, but I would have liked it more if the plastic parts were of higher quality. Would make me feel safer. For example after unscrewing and checking out the blade, when screwing them back together, I had problems aligning them correctly, because the screws were pointing in different directions. See photos 2-1.jpg, 2-2.jpg, 2-3.jpg, 2-4.jpg, 2-5.jpg.

3. I noticed that the plastic part that holds the screws together with the footpocket seemed not to be properly aligned with the blade, because it has been put right at the angle of the blade. Does anyone know why they do this? Does all Leaderfins look like this? Should I worry? See picture 3-1.png.
3-1.png

4. The sizing I was told by customer support to be similar to Omer Stingray. Compared to my Omer Stingrays the Leaderfins footpockets are in reality one size smaller. My Omer Stingray EU 41-42 is pretty much the exact same size as Leaderfins EU 43-44. I can wear them both but only without socks.

Overall though, Im happy with my purchase. Probably going to buy one or two pairs more from Leaderfins, a soft glassfibre one and possibly a carbon/pure carbon for CWT. The thing is - now I need more footpockets from Leaderfins... One footpocket for no socks, one for 3-5 mm socks, and one for 7-9 mm socks...

Attachments

• 1-2.JPG
    1-2.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 561
  • 1-3.JPG
    1-3.JPG
    132.8 KB · Views: 515
  • 2-1.JPG
    2-1.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 476
  • 2-2.JPG
    2-2.JPG
    62.2 KB · Views: 434
  • 2-3.JPG
    2-3.JPG
    64.7 KB · Views: 436
  • 2-4.JPG
    2-4.JPG
    69.4 KB · Views: 483
  • 2-5.JPG
    2-5.JPG
    66.7 KB · Views: 547
Re: Leader Fins
I have 5 pair of Leader fins of various models and can only give you the benefit of my experience with them.
I have also posted a review on their website about the pure carbon fins.
All my fins are med with foot pocket size 42-44, with the exception of a carbon pair which are soft.
The Pure Carbon I use the most for cwt to 50m, exploring and the occasional spearfish. The Carbon (soft) i use for mainly surface swims/snorkeling/safety diver. The Ice model/fibre glass types i use for dyn training in the pool.
I find medium feels soft anyway compared to a lot of other fins as you will find out. I get better performance from the Pure Carbon model compared to the Fibre Glass models. The reason I don't use the carbons in the pool is they get badly scratched and scuffed and chlorinated water is not kind to equipment, so I'll use a cheaper pair for that activity.
I also use a pair of C4/82's which are very soft comparatively.
The price point for Leader fins is the clincher for me, C4 are twice the cost but I feel they're not twice the fin for what I get from them.
Enjoy your purchase.
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

I had the same problem as you @CrazySweede. I bought my fins, and when they arrived I noticed that, fins fastening is placed to close blade bend. In spite of that, I decided to give them a try, and I tested them in the swimming pool. After training under fastening there was some white mark, it looked like curved plastic. Please look at the attached pictures.

IMG_1206.JPG fins_2.png

I also noticed that one fin had an unusual slit between the footpocket and the blade. The second one was fairly ok. So I suppose that Leaderfins has some problem with correct fitting his own blade to the his own footpocket :D.

fins_3.png fins_1.jpg

I returned fins to Leaderfins, after few emails they send me back a new pair.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT