• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Sore feet when fin swimming

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

F27Corsair

Nov 24, 2002
I have orginally been fin swimming for the past few months with the newer Super Rocket fins that i purchased new. Aqualung's new model of this fin fits small so i had to purchase the Super Rocket, wth my feet being a 10 1/2 and very flat and wide. With the fins being stiff, the outside of my feet would cram against the side of the fin and cramp my feet. I could do only a few laps before the pain was unbearable.
Recently i decided to ditch the super rockets and buy a used pair of the older style Rockets. The older style were a larger fit so i could stick my feet into the regular sized style, and not have to buy the Supers. This fixed my problem with the side of my feet being cramped, but i now get pain on the ball of my feet after just a few laps. I had the same problem a few years back with the same old Rocket style. It seems that during finning, its not my legs that hold me back; its my feet!
Has anybody had the same problems i do, and does anybody know how to solve it? Thanks.
-Travis

fin feet

I had a problem with sore feet after my first dive. My feet and toes swelled up, and I could hardly walk for about a week. I asked my dive instructor, and the response that I got was that it was a common problem with beginners and would go away soon. I didn't want it to happen again, so I bought a different type of fins, and I've been fine ever since.

It turns out that I'd irritated the fibrous tissues in my feet stretching them out, which caused the swelling, etc. You might just need time to get used to your fins, especially if they're on the stiff side. I didn't want to take the time to do that. Do you have pain after you get out of the water?

Anyway, my experience... I hope it helps,

Batray:)

BatRay,
I had used these fins a few years back on a pretty consistent basis (at least 3x a week for 3 months). During one of those sessions i finned 2000m and i could barely get out of the pool, let alone walk because my feet were so sore. I would think that after using them for that long, i would have gotten used to it.

:confused:

Sorry, I don't know what to tell you. I don't have that problem anymore, but I also switched fin types. My fins probably wouldn't be appropriate for your purposes.

Anyone else got any suggestions?

Unfortunately i dont have the option of switching fin types, as it is for military training. The course im prepping for uses the older style Rockets, so im worried about the balls of my feet. Thanks for the advice though.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT