• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2018

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Trelawney

Aquatic Womble
Jan 12, 2007
Happy New Year Chaps!

We finally got out on the 11th Jan for a dive off Torbay. It was so bad that we played a round of rock-scissor-paper to see who would splash first. I won and stayed dry. The other diver jumped in and then was back on deck within 5 min. Viz was a rather expected 0.0m-0.25m and dark.
Better luck next week, though I doubt it.....

Reactions: Boss and foxfish
Happy new year all.

With the Bass ban I wondered if I could seek some advice? Being a bass hunter I haven't ever gone after flatties but having my hand forced I could do with some tips. I appreciate no one os going to give up spots, but any thoughts on time of day, best situations, states of water, and places to look? TIA

The early diver catches the lobsters. I went for a quick dive this morning at one of my lobster patches. The viz was very good, 6-7m.
A total tally of four lobsters made it back to shore, with one being returned as it was legal but too small for my conscience.

Reactions: foxfish
Good to hear from you Chris and great to see someone posting here.
Been out a few times recently, not much to report but took a nice 1.5kg crab on Saturday and a few scallops. Taken kayak out a few times this year and plan on doing so more regularly. Treated to some awesome vis.

Reactions: foxfish
It is a bit quiet on here Dai. I’ve only just got back into spearfishing this month as the past 12 months we’ve been really busy with the boat and commercial scallop diving.
I dived a local beach near Whitsand on Wed and caught a nice plaice. The tide was on the turn and had to go out hell of a way to find them. I had my spear tip six inches off the nose of a 5lb bass in the shallows. A lot of self restraint was needed!!

Reactions: little sarge
Not been on here for a while. To busy with work. Managed a few dives this year but nothing like i used to do. Dived a couple of weeks ago at a SE Cornwall mark i like to dive for Plaice. There was a fresh NW wind which didnt affect where i was diving. With the bass restriction being lifted and allowing one a day i made my way out to the plaice ground via the kelp covered reefs and sandy gullies. I didnt want to waste to much time looking for bass so decided the first one i seen was going on the stringer rather than passing it up for a bigger one. The first one i seen hidden in the kelp was on the stringer in no time at all. A 1.9kg size bass. Off out the the plaice ground. 20mins in and very little fish life seen at all then the first plaice which was sat on a small rocky reef rather than in the sand. After that i picked up another 4 plaice. All in prime condition. A long swim back in against the wind towing 6 fish on the float seem to take for ever. Several more bass were seen on the same ground on my way back in where i had the bass on the way out. Great to see and a nice dive. IMG_20181027_172027~3.jpgIMG_20181027_172027~3.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20181027_172106~2.jpg
    IMG_20181027_172106~2.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 274
Last edited:
Hi guys I've just moved back to the area and am wondering why I ever left!! The water is incredible. I've been living in Swindon which is land locked entirely! !

I'm looking for buddy's to freedive with in the new year. Wanting to develop my skills and put them into practice. Anyone diving around Plymouth??

All the best Webster

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT