• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2019

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Trelawney

Aquatic Womble
Jan 12, 2007
A very refreshing spearfishing trip met with surprising 6-7+m viz off a deep reef mark near Plymouth this morning.

Very barren life-wise, but a shoal of mullet provided a welcome distraction. We took one each and then went for a rummage around a nearby Victorian cannon range.

Not sure of the water temp, but we were in for a couple of hours in wetsuits and only got chilled at the end.
C30F5BB0-3C86-45C7-8EAA-6FFA18D2E70C.jpeg

Another dive today at a shallow shore reef.
The water was a bit chillier at 9°c but warmer than the 3°c air temp. The viz was patchy, but at best was 5+m but getting worse as the tide turned.
I only saw wrasse, but this was a lobbie dive and didn’t disappoint.

The first came five minutes after getting in, and the second 20min later. The third and biggest turned out to be a berried female that went straight back.
99BCA888-ACF2-4EAF-9DA5-9A750E6CF8FB.jpeg

I had a couple of nice lobsters today. These were the only keepers. I caught at least five that looked really good but were soft in the shell and two berried females. So out of nine, only two good ones.

The viz was very good, about 6m. The temperature was still a bit chilly, so I left the water after 2hrs.

The only other fish seen was a clean looking but still stinky mullet, a lone flounder and a big bullhuss.

Attachments

• 372B5242-7CC8-4F66-A4A9-6EBE7AEF8EEA.jpeg
    372B5242-7CC8-4F66-A4A9-6EBE7AEF8EEA.jpeg
    3.9 MB · Views: 237
Sad to see you're the only one posting Trelawney, but good to see you've been getting rewarded! I've only managed to get in once this year in Cornwall, was a bit cold and very very quiet. Probably won't be able to get in until June now ✌

Not been in yet but hoping to by the end of the month. Good to see some posts on here, hope it picks up as we come into the season more fully.

Reactions: foxfish
It is very quiet on here HD7, though I think most people post on Facebook now.

We went out last week before the alge bloom got really bad. I was lobbie hunting, but the bloom was so bad I gave up after an hour with nothing to show.
My mate got a couple of good size stinkies.
C92FABA7-BBB4-4BF2-93C4-AF7BEC0AD272.jpeg
616309EB-D4AD-449E-B35B-D6A3D294417B.jpeg

Reactions: Broseidon
Thanks for continuing to post content mate - it’s such a shame to see what was once a thriving forum now turned into a ghost town.

The good old days of the FOM and FOY are long gone.

Is there a central group for all UK spearing or is it spread across lots of area-specific groups? Got any links?

I despise Facebook but the state of the forums has got too bad. I was the only person to post anything in the North Wales thread last year, sure it will be the same this year.

Funny thing is Facebook also seems to be slowing down now!

Funny thing is Facebook also seems to be slowing down now!

I seriously can’t stand Facebook, it’s a cancer. I’d just like a bit of the old DeeperBlue community back. Even you’re pretty quiet these days Foxy - do you spear any more?

I still monitor the forums and of course I organise the annual db Guernsey fish-in but I only dive few times a year now.

We’re going to try and get out this week. The May bloom is slowly starting to die off, and I need to get some practice in for the DB Fish-In.
I’m determined to get my name on the trophy this year.
Fed up of being a runner up.

Thanks for continuing to post content mate - it’s such a shame to see what was once a thriving forum now turned into a ghost town.

The good old days of the FOM and FOY are long gone.

Is there a central group for all UK spearing or is it spread across lots of area-specific groups? Got any links?

I despise Facebook but the state of the forums has got too bad. I was the only person to post anything in the North Wales thread last year, sure it will be the same this year.
I post on the United Spearfishing page on FB.
It was set up by my mate in Plymouth.

Do any of you guys dive anywhere near Plymouth? I hate diving on my own and it would be good to meet up. Don't worry, I'm not after secret spots just trying to find out if there is a community who dive together.

CR

CR, there are loads of us divers in Plymouth. Only I seem to be posting here though. Check out the FB page above and join. We’re out most days if the viz and weather allow.

Dropped in at Arymer Cove yesterday and swam round past Westcombe Beach. The sun was shining, mild northerly wind, 1-2 foot swell and a couple of hours before high tide. Visibility was awful with barely a metre in the seaweed mush until we swam out a few hundred metres where it improved to maybe two metres! Anyway good enough for a few line dives but nothing major. Roll on to better vis.

CR

Took first five of the year yesterday evening in a secluded South Hams spot. Vis around 5 meters which was great, loads of spider crabs around and came across a decent sized ray but left it be. Not much else about but great to be back in the water.

A late afternoon dive to a secret reef spot on Saturday afternoon.
The Westerly wind was causing some surface chop, but the viz was very good, over 10m vertical.
Lots of bass about but no decent size pollock.
We took one bass each and had an explore around the gullies.
F7530D6E-7766-476E-9256-8807AE795815.jpeg

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT