Thursday, August 13, 2020
  • Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 43,000+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 510,000+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,450+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon 2020

Fishstab

Jun 16, 2020
South Somerset
Got a week in salcombe coming up soon and will hopefully be out hunting bass.

Is the estuary mouth area a bass nursery and no fishing allowed? came across an old post on here mentioning it.

anyone got any recommendations of goodshore diving bass spots? I’m guessing the little nooks and coves in the coastline (especially anything protected from the west) will be good?

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Sunny Britain
Tried looking for accommodation in Devon at the weekend. Almost all have no availability this month (found 2 in Plymouth itself, we usually go out in the sticks) and most are booked for the rest of the year and well into next year. Barring further lockdowns, UK holiday accommodation could be in for a bumper couple of years.

hunt shoot fish

Aug 12, 2007
Plymouth
Farm local to me has air b&b, may be worth a call?
K Kent
54 Barton Avenue, Plymouth PL5 4LG
01752 771458

On the edge of the river, not in the housing estate.

Cheers Stuart

Reactions: Mr. X

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Sunny Britain
Thanks Stuart! I will take look at that in the future. We've yet to explore around Plymouth properly - did visit the awesome aquarium though -and I recently discovered that an old climbing pal lives there now.

I hadn't thought of AirBandB (duh!), thanks for that. I hope you're not offended but we found another place in the sticks closer to where we have stayed in the past (South Hams though) and a bit nearer the coast than we usually manage. It was the only slot this month in the area we were most interested in.

All being well, we're going to Devon!

OP
OP
Trelawney

Trelawney

Aquatic Womble
Jan 12, 2007
Kernow.
A quick boat dive yesterday produced a couple of nice fish.
Both taken about 10m down on the side of a reef wall.
8AC49362-8CA4-4D67-A436-746A807FF782.jpeg

OP
OP
Trelawney

Trelawney

Aquatic Womble
Jan 12, 2007
Kernow.
He was a little fatty. Weighed in at 1.95kg.
Not massive, but I got a couple of decent fillets off it.

OP
OP
Trelawney

Trelawney

Aquatic Womble
Jan 12, 2007
Kernow.
Where are you staying in Devon MrX? The viz is pretty good down here at the moment, 6-7m inshore away from the river mouths.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Sunny Britain
Sounds good :) but things may change before we get down there (I've PM'd you details using the Forum's conversation feature). We're staying closer to the east coast this time - there was not much choice but happy enough with location. We plan to visit the west side too, if the weather is calm, to spear, and if weather rough, to boogie board. We'll try to avoid crowds though.

I plan to pack books and walking boots too, in case it buckets down all week! It's only happened to us once in August thankfully.

Mr. X

Forum Mentor
Staff member
Forum Mentor
Jul 14, 2005
Sunny Britain
Does anyone know venerable forum member @johndory Hunter ? Wondered if he still spears in this area. Looks like he dropped off the forum.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2020 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT