• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South Devon report 2007

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

spearheads

Matt H
Dec 18, 2005
Well know one else has made a new thread for south devon so i have:) .

Looking forward to posting some underwater pics and videos this year. Also a bass over 10 pounds.:)

Roll on summer.

Hi Spearheads any idea what the vis is like around Babbacombe at the moment? My new OMER ICE's arrived today and am itching to get them wet.

Allan

I was at Babbacombe beach yesterday not diving just walking, the sea was green with a bit of a swell but fairly calm ,i would not expect viz past a few feet.:)

Well know one else has made a new thread for south devon so i have:) .

Looking forward to posting some underwater pics and videos this year. Also a bass over 10 pounds.:)

Roll on summer.

Hey - not so fast Spearheads - a 10lb Bass - was that a spearfishing catch this year - very impressive, is there a story?

I had a bass an oz under 10 lb at oddicombe i wrote a strory and a pic somewere in south devon 2006. I also had a 6 lb and a 8lb at my spot that i gave away to you lot:head :) .

We've had a great time in Cornwall the last 2 years (best fishing I have come across so far) but we're thinking of trying somewhere a little closer to home this year, Devon. We discovered the delights of E. Devon last Easter. I haven't been to S. Devon for 20 years, so I am wondering what might be a good area to stay?

The ideal would be a quiet cottage within easy walking distance of some good spearfishing (so that I could fish before breakfast &/or after dinner). Although, I realise that might not be practical. I would be happy to go back to E. Devon but I am thinking Torbay/Dartmouth area might allow us to explore more of the south & east coasts. We'll be taking a sit-on kayak too.
(I recall visiting a beach called Blackpool Sands a couple of times as a child, which was good. I also recognise the names of some of the bays you guys fish around Torbay as there are sea cliff climbs in/near several of them).

I also wondered about the south coast & near Plymouth -- which could also give access to some good fishing just over the border in Cornwall (Rame/Looe/Polperro). Any suggestions?

I also recognise the names of some of the bays you guys fish around Torbay as there are sea cliff climbs in/near several of them).

There are lots of climbing spots in the bays i fish ,i see them quite often climbing the rocks.:)

If you would like to get an idea of some of the diving in south Devon look at my link in at the very bottom of the page. Most of the pics are from the bay.:)

Here are some pics.
the viz was around 3 meters and the water is still warmish.
The mullet is a crap shot ,it had a blind eye and a bite on its tail.:)
Sorry about the vid its quite hard to watch with the speed i was swimming at.
I saw a shoul of 4 mullet while resting on the surface. so if it clears up the speargun is coming out:)

[ame=http://s134.photobucket.com/albums/q110/spearo_album/?action=view&current=babbacombediving039-1.flv]babbacombediving039-1.flv - Video - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting[/ame]

Last edited:
Reactions: podge
how was the viz i noticed it was flat today but it gets dark to early for a quick dive.

That navy ship is the fisheries bout that catches the foreign trawlers coming into the bay.
I would like to get in this weekend but i'm doing ten tors training:head .

Last edited:
Reactions: Almostafish
Some pic's from todays jolly out of Oddicombe on the kayak and to test new fins. Will try to write a report tomorrow when I can keep my eyes open.

_1171654.jpg

_1171655.jpg

Allan

Do i spy a gabbiano there??? I think i do!! I do love that gun, and im pretty sure that i have the same float too. If i am lucky then the yak should be similar too :D.

Great pictures to both of you. Here in cornwall out water is distinctly brown :(

Huw

Nice pics chaps :)
It's good to see favourite spots and dream as I sit here, with a cold, up to my eyeballs in work :crutch

Nic banana. Pics 3-5 are decent hunting grounds (if you know where to look). Saw a seahorse around here last summer, which apparently caused a stir among the seahorse watch people in Torbay.

How did you get the kayak down the cliff at Oddicombe? Or did you go down to Babbacombe?

Pic 2 is my second favourite hunting spot in the bay i had my biggest catch of fish their this summer.:) Its a bit of a swim from shore but its worth it.

Do i spy a gabbiano there??? I think i do!! I do love that gun, and im pretty sure that i have the same float too. If i am lucky then the yak should be similar too :D.

Great pictures to both of you. Here in cornwall out water is distinctly brown :(

Huw

Definately a Gabbiano...I rate them too. The first time I used mine I managed to aspetto a lovely bass into range and promtly shot over its head...tits! I was aiming with the bands (funny angle) and not down the barrel. Luckily i'm used to it now and even managed to spear a bass last season!rofl

ahahah :rofl... the first time i shot mine, i was aiming at a mullet that was about to pass underneath me, so i kept on tracking the fish, paying absolutely no attention to where the butt of the gun was pointed, squeezed the trigger.... shot hit straight through the top of the fish, but i also managed to smash myself in the mask with the recoil :D!!!!

First fish i had ever stoned... i was off to a good start, and i had the mark on my face to remember it by :D

Sorry for the delay in posting, had a really busy couple of days.

The plan was to set off from Babbacombe but when you can park at Oddicomde for free, during the winter, that’s where I decided to go. From here it’s only a short paddle back to Babbacombe an around to Long Quarry Point, keeping close in, and a sharp eye out for semi submerged rocks, lots of them the size of cars.

From Long Quarry Point I decided not to hug the coast line into Anstey’s Cove but go straight across the bay heading towards Hope’s Nose, this was ok until nearly half way across and now having no shelter from the strong offshore breeze was finding it hard going. On the other side of the bay there is a small but sheltered bay with nowhere to land but just nice to get out of the wind and rest. It also looks a good spot for some spearing and will be checking it out later in the year.

From here I carried on to Hope’s Nose, this whole section of coast looks good for spearing and is quite out of the way. Half way between Anstey’s and Hope’s Nose there is a tiny beach, pictures 3, 4, and 5 in my previous post. I hauled out here for lunch, I was so hungry that I ate everything that I had with me and with no food left the decision was made not to carry on the Hope’s Nose but to head back and test my new fins. Besides there was more food back at the car!!!

Heading back was much the same accept on reaching Long Quarry Point I headed straight across the bay to Petit Tor Point. No sooner had I got out into the middle of the bay the wind picked up again, you would have thought that I would have learnt from earlier, but no, not me.

Oddicombe was looking like a small dot on the horizon and the wind was now howling offshore. It must have taken me 30 minutes to get across to Petit Tor Point, was it worth it, no. The water was really milky with no more than half a metre of viz. That was enough paddling for one day, time to get in and change into my Spearo gear and test my new Omer ice fins. So it was a quick pit-stop back at the car and back in again. The quick test dive ran into an hour and a half and then only ended because I needed to be making tracks home.

I am pleased with the Omer Ice’s very comfortable foot pockets, no cramping at all, which is more than can be said for my old Gara 2000 HF’s. They may not be quite as powerful as the Gara’s but made up for it in comfort and smoothness and can easily wear them all day.

Did I see any fish? Two, that is all, one lesser-spotted dogfish about forearm in length and a bull huss of a full arms length. All in all a fantastic day considering what was in store the following day, weatherwise.

Allan

Last edited:
sorry if i've missed the thread and this has been mentioned elsewhere.

Looks like a large cargo boat has been wrecked of Sidmouth, south devon. The news reports re. the containts of the containers doesn't sound good. Battery acid, Perfume.. I understand they are putting a floatation barrier around the wreck as it it leaking diesal.

Someone else can probably find the bbc news link for anyone interested / concerned.

I'd be interested in knowing the true containts and hazards of the cargo. I Imagine any waste is being washed onto the south devon reefs with the strong s.westlies and not out too sea, unless the wind has changed.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT