• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

South & West Wales

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Anyone going in this weekend?

I'm staying down the Gower this weekend (25th) and going to get in.
New to the sport and just getting my first gun. Although snorkelling practically before I could walk. Looking for friends in the sport, any hints, tips and pointers gratefully received too!

Any recommendations for the Gower area? Also is there a tide preference for certain species? Previously when free diving for scallops I've always taken low tide to get anywhere near the beds as the vis in North Wales is hit and miss at best!
As I'm starting entry level I've been on a toss up between 75cm Mares Sniper Alpha or 90cm Mares Sniper. Any advancements on that? £70 was around my top budget.
Also what are people's thoughts on diving buoys? When I've gone for scallops I've actually found people (mainly rich teens on jet skis and small boats) unsure of what they are AIM for the buoy thinking it's a point to go around. I've usually felt safer only going under when I'm certain there's no one heading in my direction and not having a buoy as a target.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Reactions: mogsychief
I'm staying down the Gower this weekend (25th) and going to get in.
New to the sport and just getting my first gun. Although snorkelling practically before I could walk. Looking for friends in the sport, any hints, tips and pointers gratefully received too!

Any recommendations for the Gower area? Also is there a tide preference for certain species? Previously when free diving for scallops I've always taken low tide to get anywhere near the beds as the vis in North Wales is hit and miss at best!
As I'm starting entry level I've been on a toss up between 75cm Mares Sniper Alpha or 90cm Mares Sniper. Any advancements on that? £70 was around my top budget.
Also what are people's thoughts on diving buoys? When I've gone for scallops I've actually found people (mainly rich teens on jet skis and small boats) unsure of what they are AIM for the buoy thinking it's a point to go around. I've usually felt safer only going under when I'm certain there's no one heading in my direction and not having a buoy as a target.

Any input greatly appreciated.

Hi!

Gower is very hit and miss due to the tides. I know they're due to get bigger as the week goes on too so you might not get so lucky! Any of the beaches on the Gower can be good on their day, I'd personally say that your best bet would be to have a crack at Oxwich though, I know a few have dived there in the last couple of days and it hasn't been too bad! I've been fed up with the Gower the past couple of years so I'm going to be heading further west this year and only going to the Gower when it has guaranteed viz that I've seen in a photo or something!

Again I would say go at low tide but others may say different. As for species at different tides, I never saw bass until dead low when it was due to turn, but then again you can't catch any bass this year :( Pollock, Wrasse, Mullet seem to be around whatever time of day, never really targeted flatties but I imagine they'll be the same too!

I would say go for a 75cm Gun, 90 may be a bit too big for this area where we're lucky to get a few metres. Gun isn't the be all and end all, I caught my first fish with a £40 and it done the job. If you enjoy the sport you can always get a better one in a couple of years!

As for the buoy, unless you've got a kayak or boat near you then I'd say have one 100%. I know exactly what you mean though, I've had idiots on Jetskis come up to the buoy but they don't seem to come back when you point a loaded speargun at them haha! At least they know somethings in the water mind, otherwise they may not be looking at all!

Hi!

Gower is very hit and miss due to the tides. I know they're due to get bigger as the week goes on too so you might not get so lucky! Any of the beaches on the Gower can be good on their day, I'd personally say that your best bet would be to have a crack at Oxwich though, I know a few have dived there in the last couple of days and it hasn't been too bad! I've been fed up with the Gower the past couple of years so I'm going to be heading further west this year and only going to the Gower when it has guaranteed viz that I've seen in a photo or something!

Again I would say go at low tide but others may say different. As for species at different tides, I never saw bass until dead low when it was due to turn, but then again you can't catch any bass this year :( Pollock, Wrasse, Mullet seem to be around whatever time of day, never really targeted flatties but I imagine they'll be the same too!

I would say go for a 75cm Gun, 90 may be a bit too big for this area where we're lucky to get a few metres. Gun isn't the be all and end all, I caught my first fish with a £40 and it done the job. If you enjoy the sport you can always get a better one in a couple of years!

As for the buoy, unless you've got a kayak or boat near you then I'd say have one 100%. I know exactly what you mean though, I've had idiots on Jetskis come up to the buoy but they don't seem to come back when you point a loaded speargun at them haha! At least they know somethings in the water mind, otherwise they may not be looking at all!

Hey! :)

Ah dear, just my luck! I've just moved from near the coast in N. Wales to Buckingham so about as far from the sea as I think you can be in the UK and was really looking forward to getting back in! Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me please :D
Ah sweet, will definitely give Oxwich a shot, I think that's where we're camping too so a good port of call. I also saw on another thread mention of Worm's Head and out around Mumbles headland so maybe I'll have a gander there. It's hard to get your bearings when you've not been to a place before. Probably have to see what the wind is doing on the day too and find a suitable bay. Even if I see nothing it's better than being land bound!
Is there much further West/ how much further west are we talking?
Aye I had seen there was another Bass ban/ catch and release running this year...Can't imagine the release being too successful with spearos :ROFLMAO: Joking aside it's a tragic shame it comes to this- although quite predictable given min landing size is 42cm and they don't reach sexual maturity until 46cm... Riddle me that!
Re:gun size, I think you're right! Any recommendations on brand? I'm no skilled shooter so something easy to aim and load would be a nice start. Not too heavy as I'm no Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Thanks again for all your help! :D

Hey! :)

Ah dear, just my luck! I've just moved from near the coast in N. Wales to Buckingham so about as far from the sea as I think you can be in the UK and was really looking forward to getting back in! Keep your fingers and toes crossed for me please :D
Ah sweet, will definitely give Oxwich a shot, I think that's where we're camping too so a good port of call. I also saw on another thread mention of Worm's Head and out around Mumbles headland so maybe I'll have a gander there. It's hard to get your bearings when you've not been to a place before. Probably have to see what the wind is doing on the day too and find a suitable bay. Even if I see nothing it's better than being land bound!
Is there much further West/ how much further west are we talking?
Aye I had seen there was another Bass ban/ catch and release running this year...Can't imagine the release being too successful with spearos :ROFLMAO: Joking aside it's a tragic shame it comes to this- although quite predictable given min landing size is 42cm and they don't reach sexual maturity until 46cm... Riddle me that!
Re:gun size, I think you're right! Any recommendations on brand? I'm no skilled shooter so something easy to aim and load would be a nice start. Not too heavy as I'm no Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Thanks again for all your help! :D

Ah never! They've got some good spearfishing up in N.Wales too! Right if you're not sure on the area, if Oxwich is bad, Mumbles will be really bad! The Worms head probably isn't do able without a boat to be honest. You could hug the cliffs in Rhossili but you might have the seals come and check you out and freak you out if its not crystal clear, the other side has massive rips and currents so I'd steer clear if I was you. Port Eynon/Horton is just around the corner from Oxwich, that's where I've done most of my diving because I know it better than anywhere else. If you go out on dead low and get in the water on the left hand side of the beach and follow the coast around until you find kelp beds. If you keep swimming you'll come to Slade beach and that has kelp beds on its left too!

West has much better viz all year round. I think they have about 5-6m at the moment but you're talking another hours drive on the motorway, call it an hour and a half from oxwich! And further West to me is anywhere in Pembrokeshire really!

Bass ban is bit of a joke, they've stopped all recreational fishing taking them but are still more than happy to let the Spanish/Portuguese trawlers come in and rape the bays of every bit of life which is backwards!

Brand can be personal preference! Cressi are good, I had a Geronimo and loved it! If they still make the Commanche then they are good too and you might be able to get one for about £70! Can't comment on a Mares because I've never had one! I've also never had a pneumatic gun! I'm not 100% but I assume they're easier to load than a gun with slings, so that's something you could possibly look at?

St Brides again today. Viz about 7 mtrs. No pollock about anywhere and very few sandeels! Loads of wrasse big and small. First time seeing mullet out of the haven. Some small schooly bass about. Massive spider crabs.

Broadhaven South at 6am this morning. 5mtr viz and flat calm. No big fish about. Loads of wrasse again. A few small pollock, a couple of schooly bass, loads of moon jellies, hundreds of spider crabs and a few dog fish. Despite the fantastic weather it still feels 'early season' under the water. Hopefully the big fish will show later in the summer.

Horton on the Gower yesterday. Viz is deteriorating because of winds and big tides. 3mtrs at best. Still no big fish about only wrasse

Reactions: foxfish
Hi all,

Completely new to spear fishing and keen to see what it's all about. I live in Bridgend but will be travelling down to Pembrokeshire most weeks. If anyone has any recommendations for good spots to try, it would be appreciated. Is Swans Bay (manorbier?) any good?

Hi all,

Completely new to spear fishing and keen to see what it's all about. I live in Bridgend but will be travelling down to Pembrokeshire most weeks. If anyone has any recommendations for good spots to try, it would be appreciated. Is Swans Bay (manorbier?) any good?

Never been in at Manorbier. It maybe good over the kelp to the right or around the point on the left. Good spots include St Brides Haven, Caerfai Bay, west Angle and Broadhaven South. To the right out of Lydstep is supposed to be good

Hi all. Total newbie here. Fished all my life but completely new to spear fishing. Snorkeled quite a few times but never in UK waters. Cut a long story short, I'm after a dive buddy or company if anyone would wish to take me under they're wing. Or just local knowledge / advice. Any help would be much appreciated.
Cheers guys
Living in Swansea. Forgot to mention

Hi all,

Got some Cressi modular freediving fins for sale which have only been used once. Size 10-11, allowing for a 5mm sock. I live near chepstow but am in pembrokeshire most weekends and can collect from either place. Looking for £40 quid for them which is a steal since they go for 70-80 new. I'm able to post if you need for a few extra quid. Thanks, Elliot

Attachments

• 20180810_131349.jpg
    20180810_131349.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 248
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT