• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spare bottles

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

SJ Crandall

May 18, 2004
I know that you should have a dive card to fill a scuba tank. Is that card required to fill one of the emergency bottles, the little spare bottles? If a cat were freediving, would that be a good thing to have? I have no scuba training or card.

I personally think that a spare air could be a good thing, but only under certain circumstances. Using one can however be very risky.

Using spare air is scuba diving and on top of that in an emergency situation. I think to be able to use it meaningfully you should at least be certified to dive to preferably even deeper depths than you are freediving to. Not just getting a certificate but also being a confident diver at that depth. Also you should be very good in scuba emergency training and also train with the spare air itself. Otherwise you might falsely feel safe while in the mean time the spare air adds more security problems than it resolves. Some even go as far as advising never ever to use it at all because they think the risks are too great compared to the usefullness of it.

See also previous posts about spare air bottles like:http://forums.deeperblue.net/showthread.php?threadid=43222

Ascending while breathing compressed air

Without scuba diving training and understanding the dynamics of breathing the compressed air at depth, chances are you WILL KILL yourself if you attempt using compressed air for emergency ascent.

Possible consecuences are:

General Barotrauma, Raptured Lungs, Atrerial Embolism. All of which might result in your death.

Please get a proper training if you plan on breathing compressed air under water.

Just wondered. Those things seem easy to come by, I would've thought there'd be more to using them. I went to Space Camp in Alabama lo these many years ago, and part of the program involved a space suit and a big tank. I got an ear infection on the flight, and was not allowed to participate. The rest of the camp experience was pretty mind-numbing. The classes we had to attend regarding diving were pretty informative, and the whole reason I was there. The afflictions mentioned here were mentioned there. I'll skip the tanks all the way around I think.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT