• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

    • Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

    You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spear extraction

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

JRen

Well-Known Member
Feb 11, 2004
15
0
86
I am looking for some techniques to extract a fixed point spear from fish. I have only used the screw off type in the past and I see a lot of reference to 'spear extractor' point on knives but need so info on how it's used. Thanks:confused:
 

Pablo

Breather... so far!
Mar 9, 2004
347
69
0
Never used one of those, but is easy turning around your spear and get the tip thought the wound. ;)
 

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
1,486
393
188
47
Hiya

Another option would be simply to unclip your shooting line and then pull the spear plus line through the fish. Then simply attach the line back to the gun.

Regards
miles
 

Pablo

Breather... so far!
Mar 9, 2004
347
69
0
If you unclip the shooting line make sure to first get the spear back in the gun... if not one day he will LOL at you from the depth rofl.
 

ahoyhoy239

As Seen On TV!
May 13, 2003
61
12
48
34
i have 3 techniques to remove the spear from fish:

1. Clean anything blocking the barb from laying flat on the shaft and try pushing it back while twisting the shaft. This usually lets the shaft pull right out.

2. On my Rob Allen, like miles said, unclip the line and pull the line through, then clip it back to the gun. Just make sure the fish is dead...:duh You'll hate yourself if you don't

3. If possible, I just pull out my samurai sword and cut some flesh to pull the spear. I usually only do this when the shot is near the edge of the fish and I wont cut too much meat. I only do this if i am in a hurry and doing step # 2 will take too much time.
 

Pablo

Breather... so far!
Mar 9, 2004
347
69
0
How about slip tips?

Never try one, but a new RA 7.5 spear is being gutted on my workshop to get a custom upgrade. The spring steel is bloody hard to engineer, but not hard enough to resist a kingy session! How you get it out once in the fish?
 

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
1,486
393
188
47
Hiya Pablo

I'm very envious of you!!!!!! Land of the giant Kingies!!!!! A 20kg fish here is something to talk about, a 30kg+ fish is execptional. Seen the pictures of the 40kg+ kingies shot in NZ waters. Nice!!!!

I've also been toying with the idea of using a slip tip for kingies. Especially when shooting 10kg+ buggers on the bottom. They normally just bang the spear on the bottom and all you get is a bent spear for all your effort. Can't happen with a slip tip.

Let me know if you've experimented with slip tips for kingies.

Buddy of mine shot a 7kg kingie yesterday. Shot the fish through the gill plate with the spear exit-ing the eye. He now removes the spear after thinking the fish is dead. The fish suddenly becomes alive and jumps out of his hand. I breathe up and go after it. Find it at the bottom in 18m water, only to see a small, 2m dusky chomping it!!!. So just make 100% sure all your fish is dead or properly stringered before taking your spear out. Will save you alot of heart-ache..........

Regards
miles
 

Pablo

Breather... so far!
Mar 9, 2004
347
69
0
Nice story!!!

20Kg is pretty much normal, and I don't shoot them under that. But for the real big ones you must be lucky, or travel up to some good spots like the Tree Kings (3 marlins taken las week 98, 110, 158 kg). I've seen some heavy beast (40+) at the begin of the season but didn't get a shoot. Sadly the winter is here and soon they will become rare.

The low tech DY slip tip on RA steel spears is on his way, and I try to keep it simple for anyone be able to do the same: still need some machines or a friendly workshop. They steel is dam hard and I'm getting new carbide bits to bite thought. Stainless is easy to work, but the good grades are expensive and need a tricky thermal hardening... not DY!

The second part of the project is to protect the tips (once engineered they rust easily) by electrolyze. I've been running a few really interesting DY experiments that will soon be published in here. But that should extend a lot the live span of our steel spears... as long they are straight!
 

miles

BORN WILD!!!
Supporter
Jun 13, 2003
1,486
393
188
47
Thanx Pablo

Will eagerly await your tests. Any pictures or sketch's available on the basic design of your slip tips. I'll get rabitech to make me a couple and test them out.

Regards
miles
 

Alison

Offline
Mar 6, 2004
1,898
204
0
Pablo has the idea, string your fish, then push the spear through the fish and return it back point first through the spear hole. Easy :)
 

JRen

Well-Known Member
Feb 11, 2004
15
0
86
Originally posted by Pablo
Never used one of those, but is easy turning around your spear and get the tip thought the wound. ;)

Thanks Pablo, sometimes it helps to look at the prob from 'a different side' excuse pun.
 

JRen

Well-Known Member
Feb 11, 2004
15
0
86
Originally posted by miles
Hiya Pablo

I'm very envious of you!!!!!! Land of the giant Kingies!!!!! A 20kg fish here is something to talk about, a 30kg+ fish is execptional. Seen the pictures of the 40kg+ kingies shot in NZ waters. Nice!!!!

I've also been toying with the idea of using a slip tip for kingies. Especially when shooting 10kg+ buggers on the bottom. They normally just bang the spear on the bottom and all you get is a bent spear for all your effort. Can't happen with a slip tip.

Let me know if you've experimented with slip tips for kingies.

Buddy of mine shot a 7kg kingie yesterday. Shot the fish through the gill plate with the spear exit-ing the eye. He now removes the spear after thinking the fish is dead. The fish suddenly becomes alive and jumps out of his hand. I breathe up and go after it. Find it at the bottom in 18m water, only to see a small, 2m dusky chomping it!!!. So just make 100% sure all your fish is dead or properly stringered before taking your spear out. Will save you alot of heart-ache..........

Regards
miles

OK, I must be behind on the jargon - care to explain 'slip tips'.
 

Pablo

Breather... so far!
Mar 9, 2004
347
69
0
A slip tip is fitted to the tip of a spear via a cable. Once you hit a fish, the tip came of and the tip hold on the fish via the cable: this way the spear doesn't bend... normally.

He seems easy... but many tips doesn't fit properly and wobble when you shoot loosing accuracy. The same if they don't align properly with the spear.

Once you hit a fish, the tip need to have grip enough in the fish, and no to much on the spear to get free and do his job. Many have a bad tendency to get stuck if the spear work sideways... and that is pretty normal; and you have a good chance to see the spear pull straight out the fish :rcard !

Too basic kinds of tip: the ones with double floppers that act like an normal spear, but via the flexible cable. And the ones that are fixed on they middle and that should twist across the wound and have a big holding surface. This last ones seem to be the most flavored because of they excellent holding and they ability to don't rip the flesh of the fish. this last ones work better if you get across your fish; need power, lots of power for big fish!

You want as well something streamlined to keep the speed and momentum of your spear, and easy to rig to don't loose to much time.

They are not easy to design, specially for 7mm spears. Wong does some nice ones, and you can have a look at the "ice pic" standard on must on the riffle bluewater guns.
 

JRen

Well-Known Member
Feb 11, 2004
15
0
86
Originally posted by Pablo
A slip tip is fitted to the tip of a spear via a cable. Once you hit a fish, the tip came of and the tip hold on the fish via the cable: this way the spear doesn't bend... normally.

He seems easy... but many tips doesn't fit properly and wobble when you shoot loosing accuracy. The same if they don't align properly with the spear.

Once you hit a fish, the tip need to have grip enough in the fish, and no to much on the spear to get free and do his job. Many have a bad tendency to get stuck if the spear work sideways... and that is pretty normal; and you have a good chance to see the spear pull straight out the fish :rcard !

Too basic kinds of tip: the ones with double floppers that act like an normal spear, but via the flexible cable. And the ones that are fixed on they middle and that should twist across the wound and have a big holding surface. This last ones seem to be the most flavored because of they excellent holding and they ability to don't rip the flesh of the fish. this last ones work better if you get across your fish; need power, lots of power for big fish!

You want as well something streamlined to keep the speed and momentum of your spear, and easy to rig to don't loose to much time.

They are not easy to design, specially for 7mm spears. Wong does some nice ones, and you can have a look at the "ice pic" standard on must on the riffle bluewater guns.

Only for you lot that shoot BIG fish. I am aiming at the 1-2 kg range (nice size to eat) so a fixed point spear should be sufficient for now.
 
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2021 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Spearfishing and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT