• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spear fishing remote freshwater Scottish lochs

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

joeXXX

Aug 20, 2015
Hi there
Trying to be a well behaved visitor to the country )
Just wouldn't want to confuse some local ranger into thinking he discovered another Nessie

What are the uk regulations and practices ? please anyone (google didn't come up with much)

In general for the UK, spearfishing is currently not permitted in freshwater. Scotland has many of its own laws, so it may differ, but bearing in mind its history of wealthy, influential, landed gentry who enjoy fishing, shooting & hunting, it seems unlikely to me that it would be permitted.

Are the lochs all freshwater though? I heard a story that the original Nessie sighting was due to an off-route sturgeon, which presumably must have got in from the sea somehow.

Reactions: joeXXX
Fw spearfishing is illegal in Scotland. You can spearfishing in sea lochs without any problem

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Reactions: joeXXX and Mr. X
In general for the UK, spearfishing is currently not permitted in freshwater. Scotland has many of its own laws, so it may differ, but bearing in mind its history of wealthy, influential, landed gentry who enjoy fishing, shooting & hunting, it seems unlikely to me that it would be permitted.

Are the lochs all freshwater though? I heard a story that the original Nessie sighting was due to an off-route sturgeon, which presumably must have got in from the sea somehow.

TBO done neither of those . Might be wrong but I'm uncomfortable about going into S/W ones -- they seem to resemble a bath tub without a plug during tides

On the subject does anyone know of any good spots on the west coast (Ayr to Ailort)? I am up there for 10 days and tempted to take the gear with me.

Fw spearfishing is illegal in Scotland. You can spearfishing in sea lochs without any problem.
Grant, do you a reference to the applicable law/bylaw/rules?

:) Thank you kindly sir. So it is the same law as for England and Wales - although I see some very specific clauses apply specifically to Scotland.

I think our migratory fish laws are more developed but yes, in essence the same legislation regarding spearing in fw

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Reactions: Mr. X
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT