• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spear/Freedive Buddy in Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ItsCal

Jul 1, 2020
Hey guys, my name's Cal. I'm a relatively new freediver & spearfisherman from Stevens Point, WI. I've been diving with some of my local friends the past two years, which has been a lot of fun. However, it's kind of become apparent lately that diving/spearing is just something they do when they don't have other plans, whereas it's a priority for me. I'm really trying to not dive alone, and would absolutely love to dive with/learn from people with a similar level of interest in the sport. If you're in state (or even the surrounding states) and interested in teaming up, please let me know.

There might be some in these forums who will disagree with my advice, but freediving alone while summer spearfishing in midwestern lakes is not that dangerous. In the first place, almost all the carp and panfish you’re pursuing are in shallow water, typically less than 15 feet. In fact many of your shots can be taken while floating on the surface. If you choose, you will never have to put yourself in any position where you’re approaching your breath holding limits and the risk of an underwater blackout.

The most dangerous thing about diving these lakes is getting hit by a boat, even when you are dragging a dive flag. I have had several close calls recently that scared the hell out of me.

I’ve been ocean and freshwater spearfishing since 1975 and easily 95% of the time I was alone. Sure it’s fun with friends but I get nervous when anyone with a speargun in their hands is in the water with me. I never come close to pushing my breath limits and I always carry a knife as I did get in big trouble once with a tangle. I totally enjoy the freedom of diving where and when I want to by diving alone and don’t feel vulnerable without a buddy, though a few extra dive flags might help keep the boats away!

Reactions: ItsCal
@stick500 This is a recurring topic, diving alone. I think most divers will dive alone when they can't get a buddy. Just take it easy, slow, be totally prepared.

@stick500 @J Campbell thanks fellas. I've recently come to the same conclusion. Keeping boats away is my primary concern, seems like nobody knows what a dive flag is or what 100 feet actually looks like. Anyway, thanks again for your thoughts. Good diving.

"seems like nobody knows what a dive flag is or what 100 feet actually looks like" - Some idiot boaters will come up to the flag out of curiousity, just to "check it out".

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT