• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spear gun

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

yggy

Aug 18, 2021
Hi
I am new and I am interested in buying a 75cm speargun
it is difficult to decide because there are so many manufacturers and models on the market
if you can any suggestion for a reliable speargun

The length is more critical than the brand or model. How did you decide on the length, 75cm? Where will you spear, the Med? If so, I wonder if a longer speargun (e.g. 90) might be more appropriate?

You don't need anything too fancy but it is usually best to avoid the very cheapest models if you plan to spearfish for years to come.

Re. Brands, I really like Omersub but I hear they are not the same since the company got bought out ( sadly, I hear that a lot these days) and have become expensive where they used to offer good value. Rob Allen for tough gear for big fish. Beuchat have some nice models e.g. Hero and Evil but many other as well. Apnea (Turkey)'s Whaler model would be a great beginners gun with advanced features like a quality sharkfin spear, dyneema wishbone and rail it should keep you happy for many years. The twin band Apnea ST is also excellent (I have one) but costs a bit more.

There are lots of good brands and models. Several very good Greek companies, many good Italian companies, ditto France. I think there are some good Spanish and Portuguese companies too but we rarely see them.

I tend to avoid Picasso gear, not entirely successfully :(. Cressi had some problems with their sharkfin spears fracturing and did not replace them (in USA). Mares had some cool looking spearguns a few years ago but I think they some kind of problem.

Bauchat seac cressi salvimar mares brands are hawe in the shop but what mode?

I dont vwant cheep model also dont want most expencive some with enough power and decent quality

Reactions: Mr. X
Bauchat seac cressi salvimar mares brands are hawe in the shop but what mode?
Beuchat or Salvimar would be my preference from that list. Oddly, I think both have a 'Hero' model.

What features do you value/like/dislike?

What features do you value/like/dislike?
yggy is new. I doubt he knows what he would like or dislike. Those are the things you realize only in retrospect. Chances are that he has already bought something he would regret.

I have an idea. Maybe we should make a sticky thread, with a good brief on spearguns. Specifically, what NOT to buy.

Reactions: Mr. X
:D Yes. My bad: I thought this was the thread by the chap in Greece buying his second speargun. Folk often prefer the wishbone type they started with on their first speargun. So I prefer Dyneema but OMD preferred steel, French articulated wishbones (if I recall correctly). Each has pros and cons.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT