• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing around a cave... Any tips or advice???

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

MozSpearer

Nov 19, 2013
Hi everyone!

I expect to be heading on a spearing trip in about 2 and a half weeks. The location is quite an interesting one. If you'd like to see it on Google Earth coordinates are:
And I'd also try the reef about 1km North of that spot.

LIke you can see on Google earth it has a tunnel leading through from the sea straight into the pool(about 6m deep) and I would like to hear if anyone has speared in this kind of conditions. And if they'd like to share some tips or advice I would appreciate it...

My dad has dived there before and saw a big fish in the tunnel but couldn't get to it because of waves pulling in and out of the cave. So for starters I know I'll have to watch that pull.

Any advice or tips appreciated!! Thanks in advance guys!;):D(y)

Cheers. Mozzie

Be CAREFUL, be weighted correctly so you don't float to the roof of the tunnel, abort plans if tides / conditions aren't perfect, use a buddy / spotter.

Reactions: MozSpearer
Is that a tunnel or a cave? The map looks like you might be able to swim all the way through to the little lagoon area on the back.

I have no good advice, other than be careful, and send pictures of what you catch!

I'm going there tonight to clear it out of the big fish, leaving you just the small ones.... ;)

Most ppl don't post their spots for just this reason.

Kudos!

Be CAREFUL, be weighted correctly so you don't float to the roof of the tunnel, abort plans if tides / conditions aren't perfect, use a buddy / spotter.
Thnax! I probably won't go into the tunnel/cave just stay inside the lagoon area. The lagoon always has some deep water so there should be some fish there all the time. You can have some fish but leave me 1 big one!! Hehehe...
Is that a tunnel or a cave? The map looks like you might be able to swim all the way through to the little lagoon area on the back.

I have no good advice, other than be careful, and send pictures of what you catch!
That's already good advice. Thanks! You could swim through but it'd be too dangerous. There's also a ''blowhole'' in the middle. Its not really a blowhole but the water goes up and down a bit when waves come through. I'll definetly post pics.

I'm going there tonight to clear it out of the big fish, leaving you just the small ones.... ;)

Most ppl don't post their spots for just this reason.

Kudos!
It was just for you to get an idea of what I'm talking about. And I don't really mind sharing spots(haven't got that much) since I don't go spearing as often as I'd like so there should be fish each time I go. I also believe its far for you guys to travel to!! But maybe I'm wrong!!

I'll definetly have a buddy(my brother or/and my dad). We'd probably stay at the house across the lagoon so its very easy to abort dive at least. I think I'll just stay in the lagoon to be on safe side.

THanks a lot guys!! Anyone else?

I have a question about weighting.

I have a lung capacity of 5 lt. I have a 3mm wetsuit and I put a piece of camping mat inside the suit to make it a bit more tight-fitting. So I was wondering how much weight to use. I know this is a very important safety aspect so would like to get it right. I've only recently acquired my weightbelt and wetsuit so haven't had chance to experiment with the right amount of weight. The depth I'll be diving is 5-7m(depending on the tide). And I know the amount of weight is determined by the depth dived.

Any suggestions? Cheers. MOzzie

No tips for weighing for these specific conditions? Oh well, let me go reading through some old threads. Thanx to all who have replied so far. Cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT