• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing buddy in Western Cape, South Africa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Chad Gouws

May 6, 2016
I've recently become very interested in spearfishing, so I am looking for a partner to show me the ropes. A little advice here and there as well as a dive buddy would be really great.

I live in Cape Town and Stellenbosch, am keen to head to spots between Hermanus and Melkbos regularly on boat or shore dives. Also keen for trips down the Garden Route towards Struisbaai

Regards
Chad

I've recently become very interested in spearfishing, so I am looking for a partner to show me the ropes. A little advice here and there as well as a dive buddy would be really great.

I live in Cape Town and Stellenbosch, am keen to head to spots between Hermanus and Melkbos regularly on boat or shore dives. Also keen for trips down the Garden Route towards Struisbaai

Regards
Chad

Hi Chad

The University of Cape Town is getting it's spearfishing side up and running again and are keen and eager to get guys out. I'm pretty sure if you contacted them they would assist you. Sebasitaan de Vos ("Bas") is their spearfishing officer and can be contacted on 0785146044 or bascdevos@gmail.com.

Or try Chirsto Beeslaar from Huguenote Spearfishing Club on Christo@crewtech.co.za or 083 628 5890, he may have contacts in the area.

Tell them you got their details from Caroline at Rob Allen and they will help you out. I will email them both now to tell the to expect you.

Let me know if you don't come right, I have a couple of other mates in the area but I've lost contact with them so don't have their details on hand. But can find it for you.

All the best
Caroline

Hi Chad, me again.... I just got a reply from Sebastiaan and he said he will definitely be happy to show you around :)

Reactions: Chad Gouws

Regards
Chad
Hi Chad
Give the guys at the Huguenote Spearfishing Club a call. They are a great bunch of guys.

Hiya Chad,

Some good info provided by Caroline - great to hear my alma mater is getting their sprearfishing act together!

Another good place to get in touch with other spearos is via Blue Spearos spearfishing club. They are the most active club in the Western Cape in terms of membership and social competitions. Contact Fuzzy at bluespearos@gmail.com

In Stellenbosch the Maties underwater club has an active spearfishing community and joining the club will give you access to not just the freediving / spearfishing part but also the underwater hockey and scuba activities.

As I'm sure you are aware that due the dynamic conditions around our coastline diving isn't always possible and a great way to do some apnea related training to stay in shape for spearing is playing underwater hockey. A lot of spearos play on a regular basis so this is not just a good place train for spearing but also meet other spearos. There are weekly games in Stellenbosch, Strand and Cape Town. For the Maties underwater club contact Jack at matiesowh@gmail.com or read more here: http://matiesunderwater.co.za

If you have not yet done it I highly recommend that you do a freediving / spearfishing course. Fuzzy at Blue Spearos does a introductory course that covers a most of the spearfishing basics and if you are keen to take your spearing to the next level *Trevor Hutton is most probably the best guy to take you there. You can contact Trevor at freediving@trevorhutton.co.za or read more here: http://www.trevorhutton.co.za/

* Trevor is currently travelling abroad so may take some time getting back to you.

Last edited:
I had mates at Maties and those were the details I lost.... Thanks for the links!

Also Christo is keen to meet up and he sent through the contacts for Blue Spearos and recommended getting in touch with them. So 2 recommendations for Blue Spearos :)

I agree totally about doing an intro course, get the basics down... And get into Underwater Hockey! You will be amazed how much it improves your confidence and breath hold. And it's a great way to meet guys.

"Chad is welcome to contact me Faiz(Fuzzy-Blue Spearo chairman-0844754065).I am sure he may also contact Charl Marais(Chairman of Maties underwater club).I suggest Christo ,Bass and Charl add their mobile numbers"
and you can find Huguenote Spearfishing Club and Blue Spearo on FB

Hi, I am heading to Cape Town and would like very much to go spearfishing December 8-10, 2018. I am considering going out for tuna with Fish Tales Charter. Would you like to join and split costs? or any other suggestion of how we may go spearfishing?

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT