• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Burbot/Walleyes at Lake Diefenbaker (Video)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Paraaronoid

Jul 6, 2007
My first crack at video editing. It was a good day all-around as we got nicely into some Diefenbaker, Saskatchewan walleyes. Saw many on the day in the 6-10 lb range. Saw a couple of schools of whitefish, and managed a burbot too. Visibility wan't great, but we managed fine.

Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice video, are you using one of those waterproof point and shoots? I got a canon d10 to do the samething, gave it a try last week the video looked good but I wasn't able to find any nice fish like you.

Can't wait to see more man

Nope, it was a camera from HelmetCamera.com. I wouldn't recommend that system to my worst enemy though - it is extremely bulky (there are seperate batteries for the digital recording device as well as the camera lens itself). The waterproof casing required to house all of the non-waterproof gear is way too big to effectively put it on a speargun...Couldn't resist doing it though.

I have a new camera on order though - can't wait to receive it and test it out...Tachyon XC - seems to be getting incredibly good reviews and is all housed in a compact 4" unit. All for $179 US...

Nice vid. Never speared in freshwater but spearing is spearing whatever. Bottom looks kinda shitty though. Not much plant life and lots of silt.

Dave.

Very cool stuff amigo. Nice big walleye!
Dave; welcome to our world lol.

that's how most of the minnesota water looks.. if that good. You're fortunate, get to shoot edible fish..

that's how most of the minnesota water looks.. if that good. You're fortunate, get to shoot edible fish..

It is typically better than this. This lake is actually a damned up part of one of our major rivers here in Sask. We have had poor water levels this year, making things murky.

I am very fortunate here in Saskatchewan. It is probably one of the best places in N. America to spearfish. There are no restrictions on which lakes you can spearfish in and you can take all species that can be caught by rod/reel. From walleye/pike in most lakes to all species of trout, whitefish, burbot, bass, etc.

that looks like alot of tasty fun. ill be doing alot of road tripping around there in the spring and early summer. if your open to meeting for some spearing i can make time any weekend.
send me an PM if you want to set something up... i guess your done for the year though eh?

i would like to get out one or two more times.... bring on the ice diving

Is this offshore or by boat. I'm watching these videos with such jealousy, lol. I would love to do that. I go mostly to pierce lake + area. And we once managed to shoot big walleye, but all I see are pike and suckers otherwise. My next goal is to shoot burbot and more walleye.
Posted via Mobile Device

Is this offshore or by boat. I'm watching these videos with such jealousy, lol. I would love to do that. I go mostly to pierce lake + area. And we once managed to shoot big walleye, but all I see are pike and suckers otherwise. My next goal is to shoot burbot and more walleye.
Posted via Mobile Device

Glad you like those vids abid :)

Virtually all of my spearfishing is done from shore, although this year I finally bought a little inflatable boat that I want to use to get me out into some of the remote fishing locations that are too far to swim to. The cool thing about prairie spearfishing is that all of the fish are near structure, which is most of the time near shore.

Good luck with the burbot. Find the deepest, coldest part of the lake and you should be able to find them :)

How do you spear? With or without tanks? Its hard to stay deep for any length in time without tanks I'd assume.

How do you spear? With or without tanks? Its hard to stay deep for any length in time without tanks I'd assume.

Without tanks - being a bubble blower causes too many bubbles and you can't get very close to fish. I'm only down there for 30-45 seconds at a time, but the fish aren't typically deeper than 20-25 feet...Lots of time to get down to the bottom and swim around for a bit before coming up.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT