• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Belize

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

btweikel

Dec 15, 2001
Has anyone out there attempted to get through Belize customs with a speargun? I heard a rumor that, all though speafishing is legal, customs will confiscate any the find as you enter the country.

Hi,

As I understand it spearfishing is legal if you live there, if not good luck finding a local to dive with. This information is from a dive resort and they typically want to save the local scenery, so they don't encourage spearfishing. This besides the cost turned our heads towards Cuba and we really liked it. There you can get three day non-resident fisheing tickets.

Best wishes,

FD48

My intention is to fly in with a foldable kayak, have a taxi drop me off at the shore, paddle out to some of the very small uninhabited islands, and then just do some kayak camping. Sleep in a tent at night, and freedive-spearfish for food during the day.

Anyone out there have any idea on the likelyhood that I would be hassled under this kind of scenario?

Thanks.

hey doug!

when did you go to cuba? how was it? tell me, por favor! i'm very intrigued!

anderson

Cuba

Hi Anderson,

We were in Cuba last June. The trip was really good, clear water, friendly people, and great rum and cigars. One wreck we were on
was in 120' and from the surface you could see the groupers on the deck, pretty clear. We were lucky weather wise, and had a number of almost flat days interspersed with some pretty fair storms. We mostly ate real simple foods, and drank a lot of water, which is fine right out of the tap. I was totally impressed with how long my wife could stay in the water, the heat really helps on that . A typical day would be a morning dive, an early lunch, nap on the beach, and then walk a few miles down the beach against the current and then hop in and drift divd back to where we started. The local divers were pretty impressive, they would swim 2-5 miles off shore to the reefs, hunt all day and then swim home towing their catch, yes there are sharks there. Even if you caught the right currents to get off shore and to come home, it would still be quite the day, and they seemed to do it everyday, or most days. We did not see much of the island, just lots of beach. We may return this spring. The only down side was the Air Transat flight, which felt like a cattle car.

Best wishes,

Doug

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT