• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing In Canada?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Krakenlimns, I would be glad to join you in exploring underwater life here. I have just moved to Toronto and absolutely new here, but I'm full of desire to continue my hobby spearfishing / free-diving.

Luckily I live in Saskatchewan and our rules say we can take any specie of fish with a speargun that you can take will a hook. Our only challenge is finding good visibility which is usually not a problem in Northern Saskatchewan. Nothing better than diving into a freshwater lake knowing you can shoot whatever you see, gotta love it. :)

hi Ustas, if you PM your canadian phone number i can phone you when i’m over there, and send me your email address too, cheers... so i can i take my gun and shoot fish in ontario lake?, is there fish there? will they taste nice? I think Saskatchewan is too far away, dunno how long it would take to get there from toronto, but we do plan on going to a national park somewhere where there are lakes etc, dont know which...

Please get your facts straight before to post to the web, spearfishing in ontario is legal for certain species.
http://www.mnr.gov.on.ca/stdprodconsume/groups/lr/@mnr/@letsfish/documents/document/198219.pdf

From your linked document:

It is Illegal to:

Possess a spring gaff, snagger or spear gun within 30 m (98 ft.) of any waters. A spring gaff includes any spring loaded device which sets the hook for an angler. No person shall take fish with a gaff, snare, snagger or spear gun. A gaff, other than a spring gaff, may be used to assist in landing fish caught by lawful means.

Possess a spear for the purpose of fishing on or within 30 m (98 ft.) of the edge of any waters except when fishing in accordance with the regulations (see Non-angling Methods, page 11).

Spears cannot be possessed on or within 30 m (98 ft.) of the edge of any waterbody except when fishing for carp and white sucker as described on this page. Northern pike spearing is not allowed.

So carp and sucker, and can't be a Speargun. When i lived in ontario, Ten years ago, I called the MNR and was told you could not spear while in the water, you had to be standing out of it.

Hi all!
My name is Dmitry. I live in Ukraine. I am the chief designer of the project-UBL- www.ubl.dp.ua
I have been in the manufacture, upgrade, development of pneumatic and pneumovakuum guns for underwater fishing about 10 years. with my guns armed national team of Ukraine, who finished 5th in the world classification of the World Championship in Spain in Vigo 7-8.07.2012g. In the autumn of this year, moving with my family to Canada. I want to develop my business, which now can be called international. My guns are used in the United States, Australia, N.Zeland, South Africa, Italy, France, Norway, Spain, Russia and Kazakhstan. I did not know the market for such equipment in Canada. How do you think I would find buyers for my products in Canada?
Regards
Dmitry

It's a tiny market in Canada.

Some in Manitoba, a decent amount in Quebec and I'm just guessing that there's the largest population on the west coast.

Canadians go to the Caribbean, Mexico, Mediterranean, Florida, Cali, etc to go spearfishing.

We spearfish here in Alberta, with a restriction of not taking certain species of fish. Although, Sask. is close and spears can take anything a rod can.

Where abouts in Alberta Are you located Feign? I'm also from Alberta and an active spear fisherman.

Only know one other guy around the Calgary Alberta area. Always looking to meet like minded people to spear with.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT