• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Cape Verde???? Help!

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

tamoshee

me and the deep blue sea
Jan 1, 2004
Anyone ever been to the Cape Verde Islands and been spearing. Is it legal? hows the water? what species might you catch? Wheres good? any comments or stories would be great..... Thanks, David.

Hmm funny i'm going to Cape Verde in two weeks!

But my friend and I can't decide if we even want to go spearfishing because of all the Bull and Tigersharks. My brothers friend is living on Fogo and runs a fishing boat. He said the spearing is very good, but they do it with scuba.

So anyone who have experience with sharks, should we go in the water or not? Or should we just stick to above surface fishing?

*Edit* On the note "Is it legal" apperently it is so legal there is even a season for turtle hunting! And May-July is primetime for Marlin

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply seal. Post a full report about the islands when you return. I'd be really gratefull for any tales or descriptions about the place from a fellow spearo. The sound of turtle hunting is dismal ! be carefull mate they may have a season for seals!

David

Howdy
We are also in Cape Verde at the end of this week for a few weeks. Will be staying in Snt Vincent though. Hopefully avoiding those sharks and greeting the Wahoo.
Why not taking the speargun???????? You know what they say about pelagic fishing - No Sharks, No Fish.
Hoping for a big Amberjack or a nice snapper as well.

Hi all!

Ok so i'm just back from Cabo Verde (Fogo Island)

We only went fishing. Got a lot of wahoo and 3 Tiger sharks, one being 1100 pounds! And we saw plenty of Manta rays and a couple of Whale sharks.

The diving is very possible and the vis is about 100 feet, but there is many sharks at Fogo.

I have a good friend down there, and I will be running a small boat (25feet) there from middle August. And will be able to take 4 spearfishers at a time if anyone would be interested. More on this will be posted later, but feel free to ask any questions. :)

In August there will be plenty of Yellow fin tuna, Dolphin (dorado), Amber Jacks, Trevally, Bonito, Skip Jacks, Wahoo and sharks

Well he doesnt take spearfishers on his boat, and only does Big Game fishing.

However I have bought a smaller boat from him, and will be running it from septembre this year at Cape Verde (Fogo Island). And since i'm a spearo/freediver myself I will run it at a very cheap price.
It will be possible to stay at his lodge for about 35 euros a day, all included, pool, servants and food. Or at a hotel in the town, at a cheaper price.

I would say that it would be about 70-100 euros a day for the boat and me as a captain. That's VERY cheap considering he takes about 500 euros a day for fishing.

Feel free to ask about anything.

The water is about 23-26 at top level and 20 at lower levels

The vis ranges from 50 to 100+ feet depending on conditions. I was able to see about 75 feet when I was there. At the beaches it was aprox. 10 feet because of waves and sand.

Hi Seal
Good to get your report ... all sounds excellent. I think MUST visit now! A friend of mine has just bought an appartment on Sal and this is what triggered my interest in Cape Verde. Your trip in August sounds good, I'd like to keep in touch and who knows if I manage to visit at this time come out for a day on the boat.

davidedgell@gmail.com

Well looks like I will be there from Septembre fishing yellowfins for a living.

And I am going to Florida/Alabama looking for a 24-27 foot centre console boat, so if you guys know anyone there with a boat for sale (7.000-15.000 usd) that would be great.

Last edited:
Hi Seal, Are you still in Cape Verde? I would love to come over for a week of spearfishing. Could you please tell me if it is any good to come in early December and what fish is around at this time of the year. Is it possible to use your services for arranging the spearfishign tours for us and we also need a place to stay (lodging)
Could you please let me know if it's possible or maybe you could recommend someone who is able to help us.
thanx in advance
Max

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT