• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Cuba

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Milhouse...boy you let your true colors shine through there. How can you call Rolo stupid then call him out for "sinking more and more"? Your signature already showed how open minded you are.

I am not Cuban but I think that given the numbers that decided to flee that country in the 80's and the many more that that risk their lives crossing in the nightthere must be something to it...plus I dont appreciate you calling them stupid either. The cubans are very nice people, and very oppressed. Certainly they will welcome you, they are desperate in alot of cases. The Iraqis are great people for the most part too, it is the minority in control that isnt so nice.

Im not saying Rolo is right you are wrong, what I am saying is open yourself to try to understand why he might feel the way he does and appreciate the gravity of that. Usually if you take a second to try to understand where someone is coming from you can at the very least appreciate their view. That doesnt mean you will agree with it but nothing is accomplished throughthe defensiveness you have shown.

Reactions: portinfer
I started asking for infos on spearing in cuba, cause I go there in vacation, and want a try on shooting something. Look where it is now.

Nobody answered my question. Only judgements and social teaching. I said that I understand the opinion and the situation in Cuba, but what did I get?

And for the signature, It was there at my beginning here, and my thoughts on it all changed since (thanks to RockBottom).

I will ask again:

I'm going to Cuba on 5 to 12 feb. Is it possible and legal for me to spearfish there, and if yes, can I have some tips?

(please, for moral, politics or insults, send me an PM, and don't bash this thread.

G'day Milhouse
It is a problem with this forum, political views should be banned, along with moral or religious views. Otherwise I would ask what is an American Prison Camp doing in Cuba. Obviously paying the Cuban Government a fortune for being there.
So I wont mention it.
Have fun in Cuba.

Poida said:
G'day Milhouse
Otherwise I would ask what is an American Prison Camp doing in Cuba. Obviously paying the Cuban Government a fortune for being there.

Just for the story the lease on Guantanamo has been a fixed rate of $4,085 per year, since the lease was put in paper in 1934. Hardly a fortune. Reputedly, the Cuban government doesnt cash in the checks either as a sign of protest.

Stop being political! spear fish...
About spearing in cuba I can´t see why it should not be ok. The waters are not heavily fished and most fishes that you will get in the keys should be there too. any info about gear tecniques that work in the keys should work in cuba

I got an answer ( from somewhere else...), and it's legal to spearfish there. I got the infos I needed.

Hi all, what is going on with this forum?! I've enjoyed reading it for almost a year and since the last month the issues discussed here have had very little to do with spearfishing...
A guy asks for an advice on scuba spearfishing and he is immediately attacked… Another asks if it is possible to go spearfishing in Cuba and there you go again… the heavy artillery – repressions, poverty, Castro.
Is this the most constructive SPEARFISHING conversation – Politics?! Cuba?! Bush?! Iraq?! It degrades slowly but constantly...
I expected from guys like rigdvr, who have over 1,500 posts here (most of them very informative and interesting) to stay on topic as a newbie (in spearfishing) like myself has many things to learn from their experience. I don’t think the rest of the users enjoy the political talks as much as the spearfishing ones… It is a spearfishing forum after all…
And pls excuse me for my poor English, I suppose I'm better with the spearfishing terms then with the political ones.

milhouse said:
I got an answer ( from somewhere else...), and it's legal to spearfish there. I got the infos I needed.

hiya milhouse :wave .... i can anderstand the cubans (esp ronaldo) its most
important to anderstand the way people feel about things !!!!
the cuban pepole are great also the island and esp the music..
compay segundo (r.i.p) pio leyva ext.....
like someone said the same ways for spearfishing in the keys are good for
the island cuba , and if its legal i dont see any problem at all ..
in egypt red sea is prohibited to spear but some local guys will take you out
for spearfishing on their boat for a nice hand with money!!! , in canada 2 boys
offered me to go fishing on their boat with no paying the fishing lisence...
if you have such information why cant you just write it down so me and
others can get better information about spearfishing in cuba ??
i hope you will enjoy your stay in cuba and gett some good fish !!

its most important to leave the politics out , always will get us into the lines
we dont like to see here ....
regards
eyal

This thread is about spearing in Cuba? rofl
Just glad it wasn't me looking for advice...

Hey milhouse, I came back from cuba on february 6th. Didn't see your post until now. I did spearing in trinidad and on two cayos west of havana, cayo jutias and cayo levisa. Of those places cayo levisa had the best fishing.
I spent three weeks in cuba, travelling, and never had any problems with spearfishing. I met cuban spearos everywhere, and not one time did anyone say that it was illegal. I met guys that did spearing for a living, openly, selling the fish to paladares. Some fish were not allowed and bugs were not allowed but everyone caught them and nobody I met seemed worried about fines. It is possible to get a license. Some areas are protected marine parks. In those areas it's not allowed to do spearfishing, just like in other countries. Hope you had a nice time in cuba. I had a great time and I will go back.

Hi,

I just get back from cuba. Like you Takeshi, I met spearfishers and everyone told me it was o.k to spearfish. Locals need a license to do, like in many places.

I'm off to Cuba (Cayo Coco?)on the 22nd of Feb is it worth taking my spear?

you are going to paradise!

Saludos

Cayo coco looks nice, as far as I can tell it's not a marine park. It seems like a resort place, if I were you I'd take a cab some night and eat at a paladar, they have the best food and you get to get out and meet regular cubans. See if you can find a local spearo and ask about good spots. I stayed at a resort for some days and one of the guys working there had speared on that reef for years. I never went diving with him but he pointed me to some good places.

I've been to Cuba twice and have met spearo's walking home with their gun and gear for all to see. Yes, it's technically illegal for locals. I did talk with the 2 locals and they claim they have no problems. I've also seen spearo's in Havana harbor (yuck! I would get in that water if you paid me!). They put food on the table for their families. If you go, maybe give ALL your fish to the locals and leave some good gear, medicine and clothes. You'll travel lighter on the way home.

I was invited back to spear with one of the guys I met, tho' I'm worried about breaking laws in that country as a foreigner.

I know the politics are tricky. However, the US allowed trade and travel with Eastern Europe and that helped 'tear down the iron curtain'.

BTW, I'm the son of a "Pedro Pan" and went to Cuba with the blessing of my father, uncle and aunt (all Pedro Pan alumns). But mi' Abuela would have killed me if she were still with us.

We all have our opinions.
Respectfully,
Pancho

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT