• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing in Denmark

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

mortenkv

Jan 14, 2008
Denmark

All kinds of spearfishing is allowed, even night hunting (but scuba is frowned upon). Night hunting is ethical done in Denmark - and trouts are nearly only caught at night.

You have to have fishing license ( buy it at the post office - cheap and easy)

Terrain is primarily sand, sand, mud and some rocks and stones.

Temp is 4 in april, 6-7 in may - 8-11 in jun 13-19 July, 18-23 in august. Autumn is best time of year with fat fish, better vis and temp from 5-15 celsius.

Most common are all the flatties.... Flounder especially, some plaiche, turbot, sole and few others ( Limanda Limanda and "Scrombetrus" - similar to Turbot)

Then we have some Cod (1-8kg) on deeper waters and rocky terrain. Lots of mullets in summertime (2-5kg). Few and small Seabass (1-2kg - many on Westcoast, thou) Lots of Trouts 1-9kg (common, but nearly impossible to shoot at daytime). Some garfish in season (300g-1kg). And in the brackish parts ( fjords and Sealand) we have Perch (0.5 -2kg)and Pikes (1-12kg).

Visibility is in general bad. 3-4meters is a good day. I have experienced + 10 less than 10 times. We hunt primarily with 90cm guns single band.

All of this above doesnt apply for Westcoast and Island of Bornholm which is totally different from the rest of Denmark.

Feel free to ask,

I will see If I can make somehing like this for Norway as well (fantastic place) - and make som HOF post too

Oh, and the area around Copenhagen called "Øresund" is forbidden, but that is likely to change (work in progress)

Morten

Reactions: jimy286 and Erik
Interesting, I am particularly interested in the Turbot, how big do they grow in your area & how deep do you find them, are they buried in the sand, day time or night time?

The fish of the year 2007 was a Turbot of 6.25kg - in North Sea they grow to veeery big. But coastal areas is 6.25kg massive.

They are in the heavy sand, small stones well camouflaged from 0.5m-3m in spring and late autumn. in summer they are at 1-15m of depth on same bottom structure.

They are easier to spot at night ( but less sporty spearing)

You can easily catch them with hands.

Locally Turbot is common. And in the right season you can find + 5 fish +1kg at the same trip. But I have never really gone into shallowwater swimming for turbot. Thou its really fun, and very enjoyable spearing...

Morten

Reactions: UK Spearo
we get them where I live too but I have never speared one, my brothers have though big ones too.
I do love to eat them, they have a certain smell & taste that I just love.

Great thread Mortenkv. Love to hear more about flatfish as they are my favourite prey. Would be great to have some entries in our HoF. Keep up the good work.

Dave

There’s some very nice fish in the photos mate, the Cod looks tasty and like Dave said I’d love to find flatfish like that in my home waters.
More Pictures Please!!!:)

Welcome Mortenkv. Welcome Denmark, from Wessex where Alfred ruled and Danelaw didn't reach.

Denmark
Night hunting is ethical done in Denmark - and trouts are nearly only caught at night.

Tricky b*ggers they are too! I have Danish family, Morten, and go to Fyn quite often where the have a summerhouse. I spent 2 weeks wondering where all the trout were diving in the day, and then saw (but missed) more trout than I'd ever seen in one night dive!

Good to see some Danish spearos on here - maybe we could meet up for a dive when I'm next over (September)?

Just finished a video about Freediving on wrecks in Denmark - and there are quite a few cods on the last part. These wrecks were from 1-16m, no current (unheard of!) and 4-5 degrees...

Enjoy,
Morten

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Old Man Dave
Great bit of video there and yes those fish looked TASETY.:D
What was the backing music, as it was very mellow?

Dear all,
My husband and me will come to Langeland for spearfishing from 17.-24.10. we would be glad to dive with somebody of you.b
Regards Anett and Max

Hey dear folks!

for work i will spend december, january and february around the flensburg fjord and i wounder if it would make sence
to bring my spearfishing equipment. some of you guys ever went out for a dive in january?
I guess i will not come much further then flensborg or als-fjord.
please tell me about your experience or if anybody is up for a attempt.

Lg
Mo

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT