• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing in perth?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

liam.slug

Jan 22, 2012
hey ive just started spearfishing and i was wondering if anyoone knows of any good shallowish(im still working on my freediving) places around perth. i know that the marmion marine park is in the way and for now ive been going to burns beach on the other side of the rocks outside the marine park. but there isnt much there and im afraid if i do get something decent that il have to walk along the beach back to my car and someone will accuse me of taking the fish from the marine park. if you could help me out that would be great. :D

hey man. mm. personally, i've found spearing decent fish from a perth shore dive to be quite difficult. a dive at burns beach will tell you a lot, because, despite being a protected zone, there aren't a lot of spear worthy fish in it. the odd king george or flathead being two exceptions.

there are a few decent spots around two rocks, where you might get lucky and snag a decent breaksea or (if you're really lucky) queenie, but i've learnt not to get my hopes up.

crays are a bit easier to come by, and abs, and it's almost possible to snag a dhuie from the beach (almost) just before the demersal ban, when they come in to about 13m in some spots. i've also seen some undersize baldies on occasion, so you mgiht get lucky there too.

but that being said, i'm mostly in the same category as yourself, a beginner looking for better spots. there are some really good looking spots to practice your diving around perth. be careful showing your speargun around burns, unless you don't mind everyone glaring. same goes for the area behind yanchep lagoon (which has a deep ledge right where the waves break, which can be quite dangerous). leeman's landing in two rocks is another good practice spot, if none too fruitful and north of there is durr's, a good few kms of shallow reef. all those spots are rarely deeper than 5m.

freo, on the outside of the harbour (rous head) is a bit deeper, 6 or 7m, but again scarce on the scaly side of things. mosman and cottesloe beaches have some good dives, but are protected, and i'm not sure about north beach as far as its protection status goes, but that's a good dive too.

anyways, let me know how you go (or if you find any good spots!:D).

yeah two rocks sounds good. even if i dont get anything its just awesome being in the water and worse case scenario i just ste up a target.

by the way you can legally go to burns as long as you walk past the rocks. ive seen some banded sweep which can b tasty given a chef. otherwisei sometimes shoot morwong if i know of people in need of good bait. ive seen a wobbiegong which are apparently great to eat but didnt spear it because i was afraid id have no proof to say that i had walked outside of the marine park.

otherwise i might try out some places in cockburn once i find out where/where not i can go as iv got a potential dive buddy up there

cool. i've tried banded sweep (didn't taste bad. didn't taste like anything really) and i've tried drummer (same thing) and morwong (pretty much the same, but a bit worse). wrasse, all kinds (same again), stingray (terrible). wobbies and flathead are pretty damn good though and king george are a delicacy.

and yeah, burns past the rocks is legal, but hostile too.

good luck with it man.

i'm exaggerating a little bit probably. pretty much it's just everyone you walk past staring like you've just murdered a dolphin or something. personally, it's water off a duck's back, but i thought you might like to know in advance. i've actually never taken a speargun or gidgee there, but i always dive with a knife and that turns quite a few heads usually.

also, i remember there being rules about bringing your catch through restricted zones. i read it on the fisheries site about cockburn sound and pink snapper. might be worth a look. i wouldn't like to test the fisheries around perth. or anywhere, even if they weren't enforcing pretty well researched rules and restrictions.

don't let me put you off or get your back up about anything, it's just info, really. i just smile and go about my business usually. it's not worth getting righteous about or anything, because the starers probably have their hearts in the right place. if they saw the stingrays etc trailing hooks and 50m of mono, perhaps they'd redirect their concerns, but what can you do?

let me know if you need a buddy for a practice dive down at burns sometime. i think the leeuwin current is stuffing with visibility atm, but whatever. i don't let it stop me usually. or the people i drag out:D.

good luck with it man

yeah im 15 i cant dive very deep im trying to find out where i can learn freediving. so it might be a bit of a hassle to you but if your still interested id be very grateful to have a dive buddy. thanks

cool man. i'll keep you posted. do you live near burns?

also, there's a freediving course coming up in March I think. Dive Ski and Surf Supplies Fremantle are running it: www.diveskisurf.com ; or you can try their email info@diveskisurf.com . Not sure if they've posted it on their site yet. It's going to be pricey (nearly $700 i think) but in other ways I imagine it'd be priceless. A definite kickstart into the discipline. Maybe you've got a birthday coming up?

yeah i live near hillaries so its not too far. and i was looking at doing a freediving course for $550 at welshpool.

i'd say go for the course and, if you can manage it (i haven't been able to so far), get someone of a similar skill level to go with you, or at least to dive with more often. in fact, get as many as possible, but one's a start. incidentally, when's the course at welshpool?

any good spots around hilaries? probably easier for me to drive to down, if we're gonna buddy up.

Stage A Freediving Course - Dolphin Scuba Diving Perth thats the place that runs the course. the next ones on the 10-12th of febuary i think.

unfortunately hillaries is a no go. the marine park runs from trigg point to burns roccks. so the whole area around hillaries is illegal and mostly fished out. which makes me wonder what the point is of restricting spearos but not line fishermen. if you go 1.6km out ul still be in the marine park but you can spear (but not off compressed air). but im not sure how good it is. if u can find a buddy with a boat u could check it out (it gets a bit deeper than i can dive) u should give it a shot. Perth Metro there are some of the reefs out there.

oh and by the way i was at burns the other day and i saw what looked like a lone sea mullet about 35cm long i thought it was pretty weird.

hey man. mm. personally, i've found spearing decent fish from a perth shore dive to be quite difficult. a dive at burns beach will tell you a lot, because, despite being a protected zone, there aren't a lot of spear worthy fish in it. the odd king george or flathead being two exceptions.

there are a few decent spots around two rocks, where you might get lucky and snag a decent breaksea or (if you're really lucky) queenie, but i've learnt not to get my hopes up.

crays are a bit easier to come by, and abs, and it's almost possible to snag a dhuie from the beach (almost) just before the demersal ban, when they come in to about 13m in some spots. i've also seen some undersize baldies on occasion, so you mgiht get lucky there too.

but that being said, i'm mostly in the same category as yourself, a beginner looking for better spots. there are some really good looking spots to practice your diving around perth. be careful showing your speargun around burns, unless you don't mind everyone glaring. same goes for the area behind yanchep lagoon (which has a deep ledge right where the waves break, which can be quite dangerous). leeman's landing in two rocks is another good practice spot, if none too fruitful and north of there is durr's, a good few kms of shallow reef. all those spots are rarely deeper than 5m.

freo, on the outside of the harbour (rous head) is a bit deeper, 6 or 7m, but again scarce on the scaly side of things. mosman and cottesloe beaches have some good dives, but are protected, and i'm not sure about north beach as far as its protection status goes, but that's a good dive too.

anyways, let me know how you go (or if you find any good spots!:D).

I was wondering if you could go out at leighton dog beach and were are some good places were other spearfishers go

hey ive just started spearfishing and i was wondering if anyoone knows of any good shallowish(im still working on my freediving) places around perth. i know that the marmion marine park is in the way and for now ive been going to burns beach on the other side of the rocks outside the marine park. but there isnt much there and im afraid if i do get something decent that il have to walk along the beach back to my car and someone will accuse me of taking the fish from the marine park. if you could help me out that would be great. :D
Many moons ago when I lived in Perth we used to spearfish at Naval Base , good cobbler , flatheads but if a climb down the cliffs though

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT