• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Knives: What Do You Use?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

zenmedianetwork

Oct 15, 2013
I just wrote a roundup article about a few dive knives for spearfishing and I'm curious, which ones are your favorites?
http://www.thespearfishingacademy.com/2013/11/06/spearfishing-knives/
timthumb.php

Kershaw Amphibious; short pointed blade, small size but well enough designed to be held securely.

Reactions: Mr. X
Salvimar ST. Short, sturdy blade. Clip in pressure kinda latch can be released with one hand and feels safe.

stilletto and a pair of scissors Tusa knives which I have used is made with ss420 and it rusts, not recomended currently using a Ti Stilletto

The Speardiver Skene knife. It incorporates all the important points you mentioned; stiletto blade, serration, slim profile but with enough of a molded grip that it feels secure in your hand unlike the skeleton knife, and a slim profile flexible sheath that molds to the inner calf (that's where I keep it). I use a bungee looped through the top hole in the handle to secure it in the sheath for safety reasons.

speardiver-skene-spearfishing-knife.jpg

speardiver-skene-spearfishing-knife.jpg

Reactions: DuncM
i always carry 2 the cressi killer (arm) and cressi vigo (leg)the vigo as a safety knife and the killer for dispatching fish

I'm using the Killer now and I'm happy with it.

I wear it in my belt and installed a bungee also to avoid loosing it. It had lasted several years since then.
Cinturon cuchillo.jpg
cuchillo fuera cinturon.jpg
cuchillo bungy.jpg
cuchillo desarmado.jpg
cuchillo mano.jpg

By far my favourite is the Omer Mini Laser. Small and compact yet sturdy enough to brain even the most thickly armoured fish head.
weightbelt.jpg

@landshark, how did you remove it from the arm band part? Or is it also sold standalone? I was thinking of getting it with the arm band since that is where I want to put it but if it is modular that is even better. How is the maintenance on it? The specs say it is stainless steel but I saw a picture somewhere where it had rust on the blade...

Hiya Gab,

Over here (SA) they are available with or without the arm holster. I don't like the arm holder much, so always buy them without.

As for the maintenance, I have one on each of my 4 weightbelts and not one is showing any sign of rusting and the oldest one has seen use a for a good few of years now. I do however usually rinse my weightbelt after diving.

After using it for a bit the black coating does become scratched and show a bit of wear but other than that, as far as I'm concerned, besides sharpening them once in a while no other maintenance is needed.

Does anyone have the plastic arm piece part of the mini laser that they don't want? Mine broke whilst in my bag and I'm struggling to find a replacement.

Got the knife super cheap from scubastore.com and they wouldn't replace it. It broke in my dive bag. Possibly crushed by weights.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    61.5 KB · Views: 263
I saw that they sell it somewhere, I will check if I still have the link.

Does anyone have the plastic arm piece part of the mini laser that they don't want? Mine broke whilst in my bag and I'm struggling to find a replacement.

Got the knife super cheap from scubastore.com and they wouldn't replace it. It broke in my dive bag. Possibly crushed by weights.

Sigalsub sell a good velcro strap. It's easier to use than the rubber strap I think.

http://www.scubastore.com/scuba-diving/sigalsub-cordura-elastic-arm-band-for-knive/135897456/p

I have the whole arm thing for a mini laser in the garage. I broke the knife in a kingfish head. The problem will be I am in New Zealand so postage will not be cheap.

It was the second laser that broke on me so I am not a fan TBH. I now use the cheapest stiletto point / serrated knife I could buy and it has lasted for a year or so. (And I have two others as back up - cost $15 NZD each so I am not too bothered if they get lost).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

John_Askew, I've got an arm piece here in Finland. PM if interested. For example only the plastic piece in a letter wont cost much to send. The whole thing costs nothing, I lost the knife in a thick reed. Since then my knives are secured with a bungee, thanks to Bruner for the tip.

Thanks for the replies guys. I like the mini laser arm sheath as the curved plastic part is quite large and hold the knife really firm without being too tight. Definitely interested Japppo, will PM you now

Got it. I liked the mini laser as well on the arm. Despite its size I have dispatched even larger pikes with it. Goes through the skullbone nicely. It did have a little bit of rust though, even with mostly freshwater diving and post washing and drying.

Currently I'm using Salvimar ST Atlantis on the belt for braining and RA X Blade on the inner calf for backup and emergencies.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT