• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Laws in Ontario

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Xerius23

Jan 24, 2013
Hi everybody and especially those in Ontario, Canada. I joined this community to find out why Ontarian's don't try to do something about changing the spearfishing laws in Ontario. Personally I use a Pole spear but would it not be great if we have better spearfishing laws we could follow in Ontario. As of now we can spearfish only during a certain time in July and its only for Carp and Whitefish and it has to be 100 feet from the shoreline. Why not give us a limit on other fish anyway and let us show the old time anglers that there are cooler and more cardiovascular ways to catch fish. I learned to pole spear fish in Kauai but it would be great if once in a while I could pole spear a fish or two in Ontario. So if anyone is thinking the same thing...please convey your thoughts.:cool:

Hi Xerius,

Big-time welcome to DeeperBlue!

A lot of the spearos don't read the introductory posts. Why don't you put up a thread in the speardiving forum

The Spearo Board - DeeperBlue.com Forums

Have you thought of also checking out

www.spearboard.com/

Lots of spearo action there.

Anyhow, as an Ontario guy, I would say I'd love to see changes to the regulations. Without a massive campaign I don't think it would happen with the current crop of politicians. Any member of the public other than freedivers (and that even includes SCUBA types) I've talked to is opposed to spearfishing of any kind. A lot of them aren't aware that only speargun use is banned, and are even against pole spearfishing

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome SROSS. Man that sucks that people here in Ontario are so against spearfishing. I guess a petition would not be enough to change these old school thinkers...that is too bad. I guess I have to get my pole spear over to Quebec or Manitoba. I'll take your advice though and post on the spearo board. Maybe if I start the ball rolling now my grand kids will get a chance to pole spear fish here in Ontario.

I'm sure we will be up going to Quebec in the summer to spear some pickerel. You in??

hello. I'm new to the site. New to pole spearing also.
I just made a 6 foot bamboo pole with a wire coat hanger 3 tips paralyzer head. All we can shoot is carp and white sucker. No white fish . That's zone 16 .
Ie .lake st clair .. I bowfish for carp all spring n don't get in trouble, But activities like this r scrutinized n r rights r being lost...

Then again I herd a story from a guy who knows a guy etc... That dive st clair river n spear 6 lb smallmouth near wrecks n weed beds..... They breaking the law but been doing so for years...

I don't advocate breaking the law*and there r tons of factors to say when, type and amount of fish can b speared .. But if u eat what u kill n follow limits n buy a liscense u should b able to harvest fish with a spear ..
My two cents....
Now Im heading to test my spear. On carp*

Enjoy your "carp". The local dive shop tells me of a guy who makes beautiful teak custom multi-band guns and shoots bass and pike, lumbering across a public beach in full scuba gear and offering the fish to one and all.

With my luck, I'll have the garlic breath of the MNR officer over my shoulder at the mere sound of a pole spear being screwed together. There is no justice, my status as an officer of the court notwithstanding.:head

Tested out my bamboo pole spear. I don't know how a real spear hits but this one seems slow n floats too much. I did manage to get a 4 inch sucker n fed it too a not so shy dog fish.
The homade paralyzer killed the sucker but didn't spear it . More like impact kill.
Waiting on clear water n will head back out .

Hi Guys..

I'm new to Canada, but I emailed the Minister of Fisheries and Forestry in Ontario to speak to him about legalising spearfishing in Ontario. His deputy called me back. We spoke for almost an hour and he seemed to be quite supportive of the idea towards the end if our conversation and stated that he will put up a propsal to the committee on changing the law. Then COVID19 stopped everything.
Anyone interested in thus plight, pls. Call me.

My name is Ashraf. My number is 647 xxxc

Ps. We've changed the law in Dubai and I see not why we can't change it here.

Cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: marco15499
Historically In all the countries where spearfishing regulations have been established, this fight was done by dealing with pro fishermen lobbies which lay down the law. This is why in most of the countries spearing while scuba diving get banned.

Historically In all the countries where spearfishing regulations have been established, this fight was done by dealing with pro fishermen lobbies which lay down the law. This is why in most of the countries spearing while scuba diving get banned.

I was a pro fisherman lobbiest myself once.. so they'll be talking to the right guy.. No issues there

For your own safety please don't post phone numbers or email addresses on the.open forum. Use the private Conversation feature instead. ;)

Reactions: TorontoMowgli
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT