• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing locations UK,

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

josep

May 17, 2017
Hello everybody,

I am from Spain but been living in Cambridge (UK) for over 10 years now. I am quite new into spearfishing but after trying 6 or 7 times and managed to get my first mullet in Portugal and I felt in love with the sport.

I know that Cambridge is not the best place for it, but very happy to drive anywere around wales or south coast for the weekend.

I am planning a weekend for the next May bankholiday and I was wondering if any of you guys, could give me some specific destination for my weekend? I have been looking in Pembrokshire and also in the South coast but could not come out with a specific place :)

Could you also perhaps send any links regarding spearfishing legislation in the UK, as far as I could read on the web there is no need for a licence however not sure if there is any restrictions on spieces and locations?

Many thanks in advance for your help

Hope to hear from you

best regards

josep

Hi Joesp, there are size limits on all the desirable species and other restrictions on certain fish like Salmon.
Certain locations may require a licence although I can only think of Alderney?
In most cases you do not require a licence to own a speargun or take legal sized fish from the sea. Freshwater if different though!
Locale venues may well have individual rules and restrictions. Bass for instance might have a limit or a total ban.
We do have a Welsh thread you can post on ..... https://forums.deeperblue.com/threa...n-and-anglesey-2017.107918/page-2#post-966927
If you fancy a few days in Guernsey then look here.... https://forums.deeperblue.com/threads/guernsey-fish-in-social-2017.107414/page-3

Hi josef, specific locations are not necessary. Pembroke, N. Wales, Dorset, Devon, Cornwall (and, sometimes perhaps, Hampshire, Sussex, Kent) are all decent areas. Find somewhere you like the look of and try it. Explore. Fish swim all around our coast. The time of day can make a big difference, so try vary that as well as location. It is probably not a great idea to publicize good locations as commercial fisherman (including Spanish, British & French trawlers) are able to view these open forums. I have fished "well known marks" and not seen a fish and explored little known areas and had excellent fishing. Trawlers have been known to illegally trawl close to shore, wiping out the angling and spearfishing for miles at a time for years at a time :(. This happened in Devon while I was there a few years ago -- the locals were livid and called out the Fisheries protection speedboat.

BTW Have you ever tried the east coast near you? I visited Felixstowe Ferry recently, the current there was strong and the water muddy - but that can occur anywhere. Didn't get a chance to explore further.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT