• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Mask.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Unless you are fighting a strong current in shallow water swimming up a river with your monofin :) (me, yesterday!)

I used many different masks, but the current Technisub Mikromask is probably the best I ever had. Being so low volume and close to the eyes, having hence only little reserve for compressibility, it is exremely important keeping the strap quite loose, so that the mask keeps on your face only very lightly when on surface. It is a very common error of many divers who fasten the strap quite tightly to prevent leaking. In fact you need to do the exact opposite, and at the Mikromask it becomes quickly more apparent than at other masks.

i've just bought an oceanic shadow has anyone had any problems with the glass squeezing your forehead,i use a dacor normally its 18 years old now and still as good as new with a clear skirt it does reflect but that reflection has helped my spearfishing in the past by letting me know there is a fish behind me,i guess it works a bit like a car mirror in a disjointed way both masks are single lens

Aloha Mr. X,

I am looking to purchase a new mask for Spear Fishing, 5 to 20 meters. I believe in another thread you also mentioned the Aqualung Micromask.

Between the Omer Alien and the Micromask (hope this hasn't been beaten to death) which would recommend as a better Spear Fishing mask (I understand that fit and comfort is the most important)? Also does the compressibility of the Alien allow one to save more precious air? Better field of view??? Any durability issues it can get rough on some reefs.
8 years later, I now have both an old Alien mask & a new model Technisub Aqualung Micromask. I have tried the latter against my face but not dived with it yet. My initial impression concurrs with Fondueset's more timely response:
I've got the matrix, alien and micromask ... The matrix is a fine mask for those depths. The micromask beats the alien for visual field, volume and the nose pocket is larger - it also beats or matches the much larger matrix for visual field. Volume (which is not so critical above 20 meters or so) is so small ... The alien has very soft silicone but a 'michael jackson' style nose pocket. ...

I use the micromask or a sphera most of the time. In my opinion the micromask is the best of the lot - provided it fits. It also does leave some fearsome lines in your face for a few hours. ....
I haven't so far noticed much difference with the silicone softness, most current masks are pretty soft. I haven't used the Alien recently though, as a lens popped out - due to supersoft silicone? - so I switched to using a Seacsub combat X-mask. I did manage to repair the Alien though - not easy and it leaked after my first attempt, which was unfortunate as my son was trying it out at the time :( but I managed to fix that :) so it is now my spare.

I have a big conk and the Alien mask's odd nose pocket never bothered me, so not sure what all the fuss is there.

I agree that the micromask (& matrix) both seem to have a slightly wider field of view than most spearo masks, which is most welcome. :) As is the ultra-low volume; the internal volume is tiny for all these masks but the Micromask is noticeably lower.

They all fit me well enough (large-ish face), the Micromask looks rather small & narrow for me (Matrix might be a better fit for me - I'll probably end up buying one one day) but that won't stop me using it. The strap & buckles on the current Micromask are superior to the old Omer Alien but then it costs several pounds more (but it does include a half decent mask box, not as good as Seacsubs but better than the Alien which had no re-usable box).

Yes, the Alien was the worst mask for fogging up - and it has that reputation. Eventually it stopped steaming up (it took several years) but then was never a problem again. Toothpaste did not seem effective on it - I suggest carefully applying a lighter flame to the inside of the lens to burn off any silicone from the moulding process [see Mako's excellent youtube video on this ;)]. I treated the inside lenses of my new Micromask with a lighter flame & finished off with Colgate toothpaste (no need to scrub, according to the video, it is supposed to work chemically, which surprises me).

Last edited:
Its interesting that the Omer Alien seems to have such a bad fogging issue, the Omer Bandit certainly doesn't. I gave it the toothpaste treatment once and it was absolutely fine, in fact its been an awful lot less prone to fogging that my Hollis M1.

I expect the silicone left on the mask during the manufacturing process is a bit thicker than normal. I expect that the lighter flame treatment would have resolved the problem quickly - but hard to be certain at this point. My Seacsub X-combat mask didn't fog at all, I don't think I even treated that one with toothpaste, it just worked out the (excellent, tough resusable mask) box - it has been an excellent mask, the only thing I could fault it on is that the mask strap is tad short for my big ol' head (i.e. I would be happier with a little more strap spare at each end - like most other masks have).

BTW I got my Micromask from Amazon (other vendors are available) as the price seemed a bit lower than I recall seeing when it first "hit the headlines":
Technisub Aqualung Micromask - Diving Mask

Unsurprisingly it gets excellent reviews.
Note: as it is not possible to choose the colour on the above page, I suggest that you email Amazon - or do what I did and ask them to call me back immediately (a surprisingly great feature) - and ask for the "all black" one (assuming that is what you want); the agent can add a note to your order for the warehouse staff. The person I dealt with was first class. On the other hand, "all black" seems to be the colour most/everyone gets anyway! :D

Last edited:
Unfortunately I'm one of the few who has the wrong face for the Micromask. I've tried all sorts of masks and most make my brow ache after a while so I end up going back to my Sporasub Mystic. It fits most peoples faces. It's extremely small, low volume and the lenses are so close to your eyes that you almost forget you're wearing it. More like a pair of goggles. Doesn't need equalizing until 20m+. The FOV is incredible. Another good thing about it is the access to the nosepocket with even the thickest of gloves and it's big enough for the largest of conks. The silicone is soft, seals very well and it doesn't leave any marks on your face after wearing it for a few hours. Did the flame trick, a bit of Sea Buff and using baby shampoo formula hasn't fogged once.
It's not the latest on the market but all in all a mask to check out.
mystic_verde.jpg
copia_di_schermata_2014-04-10_alle_15.55.59_1.jpg

Reactions: Mr. X
I had expect the FOV (field of view) for the Sporasub Mystic to be pretty bad because the lenses look so small compared the rest of the mask . So interesting to discover that it is in fact a major strength! Should have known Omer would not put out a dog, especially under their Sporasub brand. Had I read William's review before, I might well have opted for one too. [Did it come with a re-usable plastic mask box? My Omer Alien didn't but my other masks did.]

Last edited:
Good link. Yes, the Sporasub Mystic looks good but the Mares X-Vu also caught my eye. I think I considered one those (from Diving Direct in the UK) as I seem to be using a lot of Mares gear this year for the first time. It looked promising but it seemed quite expensive at the time & I hadn't heard of it before or read any reviews. Googling now, I see they can be had for a better price now (e.g. Mike's Diving, in Bristol).
411036.0c021460.jpg
Mares X-Vu
image_14227.jpg
Mare X-Vu liquid skin variant (more expensive)

Not sure about the hard plastic bits over the bridge of the nose, that might be a problem for some - seems a bit lower & larger than necessary (& same comment for the Sporasub).

Last edited:
The X-Vu doesn't look bad.
If you fancy a Mares mask you can buy my new Viper mask off me. Bought it beginning of Feb and only tried it once in the Red Sea mid Feb. I tried it on at the Boot Trade Fair in Düsseldorf and it seemed to fit, so I ordered one. Bloody thing leaks under the nose, like almost all the newer masks I've bought and tried (Subgear Steel Comp, Omer UP-M1, Omer Zero 3). Somehow they've all resorted to shortening the lip under the nose, which is maybe OK for some people, for me it's not. Now it's going on Ebay.
I buy a bit of gear from Scubastore and usually everything goes to plan. I was looking for some fins recently and I saw the "Lowest Prices Guaranteed" icon and clicked it. In the end I got a pair of fins (Cressi Gara Modular LD) for the cheapest price I could find online. Instead of 89 Euros, I paid 66 Euros :joyful:
I didn't think they would match it but they did. So if you want to buy anything from Scubastore it's worth keeping that in mind.

I expect the silicone left on the mask during the manufacturing process is a bit thicker than normal. I expect that the lighter flame treatment would have resolved the problem quickly - but hard to be certain at this point. My Seacsub X-combat mask didn't fog at all, I don't think I even treated that one with toothpaste, it just worked out the (excellent, tough resusable mask) box - it has been an excellent mask, the only thing I could fault it on is that the mask strap is tad short for my big ol' head (i.e. I would be happier with a little more strap spare at each end - like most other masks have).

BTW I got my Micromask from Amazon (other vendors are available) as the price seemed a bit lower than I recall seeing when it first "hit the headlines":
Technisub Aqualung Micromask - Diving Mask

Unsurprisingly it gets excellent reviews.
Note: as it is not possible to choose the colour on the above page, I suggest that you email Amazon - or do what I did and ask them to call me back immediately (a surprisingly great feature) - and ask for the "all black" one (assuming that is what you want); the agent can add a note to your order for the warehouse staff. The person I dealt with was first class. On the other hand, "all black" seems to be the colour most/everyone gets anyway! :D

That is an excellent mask!

I hope it is OK to mention our "mini" mask and discuss a feature that distinguishes the MAKO minimus mask from the one above.

In the photos below, you can see that the masks look very similar (and they are) except for the means of attachment of the mask strap. In the mask above, a hard plastic buckle is affixed to the sides of the frame of the mask. A very common means of construction.

If you look closely at our mask, you will see that the mask buckles are NOT connected to the frame at all. Attaching the buckles to the frame, make them vulnerable to impact when the mask is dropped or handled roughly. We supply a plastic mask box with each mask, but that doesn't prevent all accidents or rough handling.

Our strap attachment is secured on an integrated tab that has been molded into the mask skirt. This has shown to be a very rugged and reliable means of connection and if/when the mask is dropped on its side, the tab (and mask buckle) just bend inwardly. Almost zero potential for damage due to the flexible attachment configuration.

http://www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm

MMM-2T.jpg

mmm-buckle-mount_dtl.jpg

mmm-side-view_dtl.jpg

Reactions: Pinniped72
I'm also contemplating on getting the Mare Viper, looks awesome and I read somewhere it works well with breaded spearos.

Check on-line reviews of that one - not all good ;)
I have a big conk and the Alien mask's odd nose pocket never bothered me, so not sure what all the fuss is about. ...
Son tried Alien on and didn't like it said it made his nose feel blocked, prefers Seacsub combat mask.

Tried Aqualung Technisub Micromask today, very clear, no fog, very good FOV, comfy but left a significant mask impression on face. Good when diving too, nice mask.:)

Check on-line reviews of that one - not all good ;)

Which one, the Mares Viper or the Mako?

I know the Viper had a faulty pre-release and was re-designed after that taking into account the feedback and issues.

Mares Viper. Only heard good things about Mako products so far.

Torn skirt.

I find that most new masks i.e. Omer UP-M1, Zero 3, Subgear/Scubapro Steel Comp and the Mares Viper (which is still for sale by the way and no, it certainly isn't good for bearded divers) have all done a great job of reducing the pressure on the brow, which was a big factor for me. They mostly have a frameless design with the straps attached to the silicone instead of the eye sockets. You can even bend the Steel Comp in half. So far so good, but, and this is the big but, they have also, in their competitive endeavour to reduce volume, reduced the amount of silicone around the edges. These masks almost look like goggles compared to the good old Cressi Superocchio for example.
On my travels, mostly North Sea, Med and Red Sea, I've recently bumped into people, especially ones who are over 40, who are experiencing the same thing as me. These masks are leaking under the nose pocket, where the silicone is just a thin strip. They work great when dry but in the water they start leaking. It goes without saying you should always take your snorkel with you when trying on a mask, but most people don't. That and most people buying gear on the internet without the possibility of trying it out because there is no dive shop who stocks this type of gear near them. Then when they think the mask is ok dry, they take it for a dive and find it's not working, but now that they've defogged/toothpasted and used it they can't give it back. :(
I've come to realise that all these new super low volume frameless masks are made primarily for young, babyfaced divers who are competing for maximum depth. Anyone with a few mature laughter-lines is probably going to have a problem.
I dive to a max of 30m recreationally and at 55 that will probably be it. A quick puff and I've equalised my mask, even a scuba mask.
I also still have an old Subgear Steel where the volume is just average, the silicone is ample and the mask is very comfortable. It actually fits everyone. It's not snazzy or cool but it does the job. Maybe the hunt for the perfect mask is just an illusion.

There you have it, I've written a huge post which wasn't my intention, but my take on modern masks.
Cheers
Greetings to all.

Last edited:
I had a massive icecream headache for 10-15minutes when I first got in, the first time I dived this week. Reckon one of those bigger skirt masks might help avoid/reduce that.

FOV and comfort are more important to me than low volume. This week, I doubt that I have dived much more than 25' / 8m and usually less. That's not unusual.

Last edited:
8m is 8m more than I've dived this week. Lucky sod. Living 200kms from the sea I wish I could just don the suit and jump in. Temps wouldn't bother me. I envy everyone who lives beside the sea.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT