• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing meetup groups

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Zach123

Oct 11, 2017
Hey guys I was wondering if there are any spear fishing groups for people who want to learn about spear fishing as well as take you out? The reason why I am asking is that all my friends don't want to get into spearfishing with me. I live in the Point Loma area in San Diego.

I know there is a club in your location because just this week my club in Sydney was contacted by a member from up there with a couple of days free down here. I'm pretty sure someone would have helped him out with some kit & some company. Being in a club is also thr safest & fastest way to learn to spearfish, & then to continually improve ones skills, not to discount the comradere either.:)

Reactions: Zach123
FYI I've moved this thread to the USA regional area of the forum - where it might be more likely to find members in your area - but I left a link at the original location (Beginner area).

Yes, spearfishing is not everybody's cup-of-tea, that's for sure (although most seem to appreciate the fresh seafood it produces! :D). Clubs are a great idea and can be lot fun and a source of friendship. However, living in a rural area, I learnt to spearfish from these DeeperBlue.com Spearfishing forums, and by spearfishing of course. While that might not be for everyone, with care and diligence and the helpful forum members, it is possible. DeeperBlue.com's forums are a great reference to search and a place to ask questions. I would suggest reading up on shallow water blackout (SWB) and look for calm, sheltered, fairly shallow conditions to start with. Be careful. The Spearfishing for Dummies, Speargun Rigging for Dummies, etc. guides on DeeperBlue.com - written by Miles - are excellent and have discussion forums associated with them ;) Len Jones Spearfishing booklet is also a good reference.

Another option, I suppose, would training courses (esp. for freediving) &/or paying to dive with professional guide. Or find one or two dive buddies.

What Mr X said (y) Also, read the multi part freediving guide here on Deeper Blue, written by Emma Farrell I think, it is excellent and highlights some of the hazards connected with not breathing whilst underwater.............:D have fun, keep safe and remember, baby steps, even the very best start at the beginning ;)

Reactions: Mr. X and Zach123
I took some classes with a pro and learned a ton. It really made me feel better. From there, I slowly went further and further. Having dive buddies is critical though. Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT