• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing north wales 2020

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

conn4000

Jun 11, 2008
Wow it’s quiet and don’t know if I’ll get in this summer with the corona virus lock down, who’s still about

Well I am always around watching from a far but we have the same issues as you do!
Nobody really knows what will happen but fingers crossed we can get in the water before the season ends!

I'm still crazy for it! Itching to get in but playing it safe and staying at home looking forward to healthy times with blue sky's warm air clear seas loaded with unsuspecting fish and crustaceans.working my way through the freezer from last year finds .Nice to hear from you and to all near and far take care .see you in the sea soon I hope .

Reactions: foxfish
Well I am always around watching from a far but we have the same issues as you do!
Nobody really knows what will happen but fingers crossed we can get in the water before the season ends!

Hey Foxfish, with all this time inside, do you have any of your epic gun builds planned or in progress? Would love to see some pictures!

Hey Foxfish, with all this time inside, do you have any of your epic gun builds planned or in progress? Would love to see some pictures!
I can show you plenty of guitars that I build but the last gun I built was this time last year!
I always built one or two a year as prizes for the Guernsey spearfishing competition but last year was the last competition we were organising although hopefully it will be back next year with new guys in charge.
Chris Mills an aka Trelawny on the forums won the gun, I will see if I can find some pictures ....
B8B96005-85B8-4065-A084-E0405DE72ACE.jpeg
8256B99D-C18A-41C0-97AC-601A600970E8.jpeg
87B7E06E-6910-403A-B625-1C656C7D1F65.jpeg
3206BBCC-BF7E-49D8-AD8E-43F46D518833.jpeg
31B92EC8-3A88-401A-95AB-7671BD3EC76B.jpeg
8945DC41-9B5C-471E-AC16-F234F0BD819D.jpeg
8B8F64C0-10C9-4291-B7D2-5EE6EA6830E3.jpeg
2C5608A3-94EB-4817-9CBC-A6F379552C67.jpeg

Last edited:
That thing is beautiful. Almost too pretty to get wet. Kudoes!

My old gun looks like something that was left out in the yard for a year after the dog chewed on it. Shoots good though.

What are the coronovirus rules in your area, relative to spearing? in Florida, fishing (spearing) is still allowed, even though a lot of boat ramps are closed.

Reactions: foxfish
In my area , nothing that puts a threat on the emergency services is allowed, this is a little controversial but basically... people can swim in the sea and fish from the shore but spearfishing is deemed to much of a threat sois not allowed, no private boating either .
On the positive side, only a few small fishing boats are operating and the whole commercial fishing fleet is in dock.

I can show you plenty of guitars that I build but the last gun I built was this time last year!
I always built one or two a year as prizes for the Guernsey spearfishing competition but last year was the last competition we were organising although hopefully it will be back next year with new guys in charge.
Chris Mills an aka Trelawny on the forums won the gun, I will see if I can find some pictures ....View attachment 55791View attachment 55792View attachment 55793View attachment 55794View attachment 55795View attachment 55796View attachment 55797View attachment 55798
9C726700-D49A-43E3-B80F-B768787398FF.jpeg
A342A9C4-4EAE-419C-9F5C-74EF9626EDC3.jpeg
0217196E-8377-4B63-9B6A-C3A3438BC3BC.jpeg
13368EA4-A4EA-455A-982D-DCE6517B2F8A.jpeg
54CC0E06-3D2E-44F7-ADB4-2F4332E2F894.jpeg

Much to everyone’s consternation, the gun is going to be used for its intended purpose when the lockdown is eased.
I’ll only be using it on the boat, well away from rocks and barnacles!

What a fantastic bit of workmanship and art , I have no doubt works stunningly,and it's gone to the right man who deserves such a masterpiece well done and stay safe and safe hunting !

Reactions: Trelawney
Wow ^^^^ amazing bit of craftsmanship @foxfish well done!

I'm still about, desperate to get in the water, I don't recon it will be too long now, hopefully just a few more weeks.

Just stocked up on some new kit for the season, cant wait to get in.

Hi guys,
I've been wanting to get into spearfishing for a long time, did a freediving course a while back and fell in love. I'd been hoping to do a spearfishing course this summer but looks like everything's suspended due to coronavirus. I was thinking about just taking the plunge, buying the gear and having a go myself, however I live in north west england and have absolutely no friends that are interested in wild swimming never mind spearfishing. Would be really great to be able to go out with someone experienced. If anyone wouldn't mind a newbie tagging along for a socially distanced session sometime please let me know!

Hi guys,
I've been wanting to get into spearfishing for a long time, did a freediving course a while back and fell in love. I'd been hoping to do a spearfishing course this summer but looks like everything's suspended due to coronavirus. I was thinking about just taking the plunge, buying the gear and having a go myself, however I live in north west england and have absolutely no friends that are interested in wild swimming never mind spearfishing. Would be really great to be able to go out with someone experienced. If anyone wouldn't mind a newbie tagging along for a socially distanced session sometime please let me know!

Hi Alex - take the plunge. I was in the same position 10+ years ago and spent my student loan on gear.

Watercraft and awareness of safe conditions/tides etc is only developed by spending time in the water - there are so many safe, shallow spots that you can jump in and as you start to get more competent, you can start to venture further afield.

The safety aspect of diving itself is another issue which I personally think can be developed safely on your own by spending just a short period of time reading the plethora of information available on this forum or others.

Confidence will come with time aswell - I still think there are sea monsters lurking in the deep but so far have not seen any! I used to make my mates come a long and sit them in the pub (some where like Morfa Nefyn hah) until I had finished!

As is the way of the world and Internet forums, people will disagree so take it as you will!

With the border finally open, Broseidon and myself had a lovely days fishing a few spots over the Llyn last week with bass, gentleman’s bass, mullet, pollock and a Gilthead bream all seen!

Reactions: alex95
Drop me a pm I’ll give you a bell when I’m next going I’m based in Ellesmere Port if that’s near you

Hi Alex - take the plunge. I was in the same position 10+ years ago and spent my student loan on gear.

Watercraft and awareness of safe conditions/tides etc is only developed by spending time in the water - there are so many safe, shallow spots that you can jump in and as you start to get more competent, you can start to venture further afield.

The safety aspect of diving itself is another issue which I personally think can be developed safely on your own by spending just a short period of time reading the plethora of information available on this forum or others.

Confidence will come with time aswell - I still think there are sea monsters lurking in the deep but so far have not seen any! I used to make my mates come a long and sit them in the pub (some where like Morfa Nefyn hah) until I had finished!

As is the way of the world and Internet forums, people will disagree so take it as you will!

With the border finally open, Broseidon and myself had a lovely days fishing a few spots over the Llyn last week with bass, gentleman’s bass, mullet, pollock and a Gilthead bream all seen!

Great, thanks for the advice! I did a freediving course a while ago, but I'm going to go over all the safety info online before I head out. Gonna try and sort some gear asap, so let me know if you have any advice re what gun to get! Can't wait to get out there! Thanks again!

look for a gun around 75cm mate best for welsh water or a 90cm at a push, those pathos laser pros at fins4u look good guns 75 I say mate

As Conn says, a 75cm gun is absolutely perfect for North Wales. I use a slightly different version of the Pathos but still has the reverse trigger mech which effectively makes it an 82cm gun. The length of shot achievable with a single wrap of shooting line between a 75cm gun and a 90cm gun (other common size for UK) is around 50cm which honestly will not make that much difference when vis is often around 3-4metres! The manoeuvrability of a shorter gun in the shallows, when it comes to tracking fish will be MUCH more beneficial than a slightly longer shot.

However, without a shadow of a doubt, the most important bits of kit is your wetsuit and rubber dive belt. Don’t try to get by with a surf wetsuit thinking it will do. Get a spearfishing wetsuit that is warm, comfortable and supple that will allow you to stay in for hours at a time and actually give you a chance to learn how to fish and dive Without freezing your nuts off. The rubber belt is essential aswell as it keeps your weights around your waist where they are meant to be rather than around your thorax when you dive!

You also don’t need to dive deep or find extreme spots. Bros video is in about 2metres of water on perhaps one of the most over looked spots on the llyn.

Last edited:
Reactions: alex95 and DuncanD
As Conn says, a 75cm gun is absolutely perfect for North Wales. I use a slightly different version of the Pathos but still has the reverse trigger mech which effectively makes it an 82cm gun. The length of shot achievable with a single wrap of shooting line between a 75cm gun and a 90cm gun (other common size for UK) is around 50cm which honestly will not make that much difference when vis is often around 3-4metres! The manoeuvrability of a shorter gun in the shallows, when it comes to tracking fish will be MUCH more beneficial than a slightly longer shot.

However, without a shadow of a doubt, the most important bits of kit is your wetsuit and rubber dive belt. Don’t try to get by with a surf wetsuit thinking it will do. Get a spearfishing wetsuit that is warm, comfortable and supple that will allow you to stay in for hours at a time and actually give you a chance to learn how to fish and dive Without freezing your nuts off. The rubber belt is essential aswell as it keeps your weights around your waist where they are meant to be rather than around your thorax when you dive!

You also don’t need to dive deep or find extreme spots. Bros video is in about 2metres of water on perhaps one of the most over looked spots on the llyn.

Amazing, thanks so much! I'm on the hunt for a good wetsuit now, had been going back and forth in my head as to whether or not I should invest in a proper spearfishing wetsuit, so thanks for making my decision easier hahah

that’s an amazing video!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT