• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Records

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

GreekDiver

Aug 5, 2004
I was talking with someone the other day, and i mentioned sheepshead. They said that the spearfishing record was about 13lbs? I personally have shot them up to 20lbs. This last summer i got one about 17lbs. I didnt even know they had spearfishing records. How would i register a fish like? Here is a picture of the 17lb Sheepshead i shot. Im not the guy in the red shirt. He was the driver for that day. Im taking the picture.

Last edited:
I believe the record holder is Richard Martin. He dives the breakwater in Lewes, Deleware. Met him a few times out there, he's a really good guy. Anyway, if you want to boot him out of the record books you need to go to the IUSA website. Just do a google search for "spearfishing world records". They'll have insturctions there. Good luck.

thanks i did some more researched today and found that info. I STILL cant believe the world record sheepshead is only 13 lbs. Thats crazy small for a world record.

Harry,

Keep in mind a World Record is only as big as the biggest fish that somebody bothered to submit. Additionally, for the IUSA this also means the length of record keeping has not been very long. A few year's back (around 2000) the IUSA decided to start it's records over (doesn't make sense to me) but because of this there are plenty of fish species that don't have any fish submitted yet (hence the low weights of some 'World Records'). Hopefully in time as more and more people find out there is such a thing as freedive spearfishing world records (such as yourself) weights for all fish will become more in line with what a World Record should be.

Scott

Ya no wonder. It makes sense now. When i go back to Virginia in June, im gonna submit a Sheepshead.

Harry

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT