• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing red deer

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Tubsmgrubs

Jul 12, 2015
Anybody know where there's any kind of decent spearfishing around the red deer area? Or at least somewhere to get the fins wet? [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 403Jeeping
There are lots of quality spots Round the Calgary area if your interested in coming up to join a buddy and myself. we head out a Couple times a week.

Elbow river is a good place for Suckers, pike brown trout.

The bow river is another good option although it is a fast flowing large river with some nice deep holes in places. Lots of Suckers, trout whitefish and pike in the lower section below Calgary.

Bears paw Dam (middle Bow River) Above Calgary has some good fishing for Sucker Fish, trout, whitefish and the odd pike

I have been up to check out the little red deer river where the dog pound meet up... which is west of Dixon dam, she's a little creek with a few deep holes that hold a good population of fish (Suckers pike and trout)

We are also looking for other bodies of water to fish as well. And always other spearos to hit the water with. As its hard to find people with like minded passions.

Sylvan Lake seems promising from what I've read. It's a shallow lake with good weed beds on the west side of the lake if I recall correctly.

I've heard the Red Deer River has invasive Carp through out its course. And they can legally be harvest like Sucker Fish. Sadly suckers are the only fish we Albertans are legal allowed to pursue.

Remember Sucker Fish is the only fish species we Alberta Spearos are legally allowed to target.

uploadfromtaptalk1437075586181.jpg

We use spearguns and pole spears. Been really digging the pole as of late.
uploadfromtaptalk1437075915011.jpg

Actually we can shoot burbot, lake whitefish and perch too :)
No pike, trout, mountain whitefish, grayling, sturgeon or walleye.

Reactions: 403Jeeping
Really thought lake whitefish, perch and burbot were concidered game fish. Good to know I'll have to confirm that before I begin shooting those species.

Know any good places for burbot? .

Where abouts are you located Erik?

All those I mentioned are correct I assure you :)
I'm in Edmonton. Been spearing for years here and elsewhere, off the forums for quite a while.
You might want to check out Twin Lake just north of you near Warburg. Clean, clear usually, lots of pike and perch in the shallows and burbot deeper if you look.

Reactions: fernando fajardo
"Spearfishing / Bowfishing

A special licence for spearfishing or bowfishing is not required. Spearfishing and bowfishing is allowed under the Alberta Sportfishing Licence.
arrow_red_1.gif
Only spears propelled by spring, elastic, compressed gas or muscular power are permitted.
arrow_red_1.gif
Only persons who are swimming may spearfish.
arrow_red_1.gif
Spears or bows cannot be used to take trout, mountain whitefish, Arctic grayling, lake sturgeon, walleye or northern pike.
arrow_red_1.gif
Spearfishing or bowfishing are not permitted in Gods, May, Seibert, Winefred, Andrew, Gardiner and Namur lakes."

Also no spearfishing in the National Parks which sucks :(

Burbot are easy to shoot but generally hard to find. They go deep and sleep in the daytime (30 feet or more) and come up at night to feed on perch and little jacks.
If you find them they usually will sit there believing you can't see them as they look just like the mud and weeds on the bottom. *thwip* and there you go. Good eating!

Thinking of heading to gleniffer lake northeast of Calgary tomorrow. Anyone ever been there? Supposed to be lots of suckers at least...... Bringing the fishing rod to try for some pike too [emoji14]

Hey Folks,

Buddy of Mine (Lethbridge) and I have recently gotten into spearfishing and are looking for more spearos to go with. Let me know when you head out and we would love to join you. Have been going to lakes in BC and out to Sask lately but would love to go more local.

Located in Calgary currently.

Me and a buddy are kicking around the idea of a lake close to calgary and fairly close to you. Travers Dam. Always looking to meet like minded people as well.

We are in the Calgary area I'm a little west of the city. Would be willing too travel to check out new places as well.

I went to West Twin Lake this past Sunday.
Vis was good despite the previous day's rain, especially below 10 metres. Saw a few Burbot, about 50 pike, and hundreds of perch.
Didn't shoot anything but very nice morning in the water. I was trying out a new suit I bought from Speardiver in Fla. Excellent 7mm suit, not a custom but fit like my custom Ellios's.

Gonna go to Meadow Lake Park for August Long Weekend and look for splake :)

Reactions: fernando fajardo
Never been to travers dam - we would be happy to join you. We had the idea of macgregor lake too. A couple scuba divers mentioned it was good vis and lots of fish but I have never actually been out there. Any thoughts?

You'll be lucky to find anywhere with decent vis unless you start going north towards the Canadian Shield. I was just in Meadow Lake park last weekend and vis was nice. Didn't shoot anything but beautiful and quiet up there.
Lake Minnewanka and Jasper lakes have great vis but no spearfishing.
June in the lakes is best as the vis can still be good before it blooms up, the fishing season's open and the fish taste better.

You guys should really check out West Twin Lake. Spring fed, 35 metres deep, tons of fish in the top 5 metres and usually 5 to 8 metre vis.
Also there are tons of things sunk in the lake by scubadivers over the years that can be fun to dive to.

Awesome! Thanks for the tip Erik. Will make my next trip there. Thats in Sask? By Lloydminister?

Awesome! Thanks for the tip Erik. Will make my next trip there. Thats in Sask? By Lloydminister?

Twin is not far northwest of Red Deer, go north on Highway 2 to highway 13, hang a left and go about 50k west. You'll pass Pigeon Lake on the way.

Sounds good, I think I found it on the map. Think I will head there next Saturday (August 15th). Free to join?

Might be able to meet you there. Initially I thought it was this weekend...

If you go, when you get down the gravel road that leads to the campground, the best place to get in is to the left just where the road forks at the registration box. Hang that left and the road goes to the end of the lake where there's a nice little beach. Go in, swim straight out and it will drop off sharply. Go left at that drop off and work your way around. This side of the lake is the most prolific. That drop off is about 1 metre to 5 metres deep. This is where the pike are usually. If you go into the shallows where the weeds are, take your time and watch the perch show up- they are very well camo'd. They're small but good sport and you can take 15/day. If you are using a JBL or similar with the ring-retainer on the shaft you might blow the perch apart. Better to have a euro gun/shaft for them, but it'll still work. I shot lots of fish with my JBL's before I gave them away.
This drop off goes around the whole lake and you will see fish all the way around.

If you want to hunt Burbot then dive off the drop off into 5-10 metres. It's damn cold below 5 metres though! A 3mm suit will be fine for the shallower stuff but if you want to work deeper you'll need more suit.
If, by chance, you accidentally shoot something you're not supposed to, be careful getting it out. There's a stupid law about pike in Alta (as you know) that I can't comprehend. Keep a rod/reel in your car. There is a board at Twin Lake where there's a sign that prohibits shooting pike, as this is a scubadiver site and people have abused the right that we used to have (pike was legal to shoot a long time ago before some scuba assholes wrecked it).

Also: if you go to the right when you come in you will see a large scuba shack with a pier and dock going out towards the middle of the lake. There is lots of sunken stuff to see there.

Last edited:
I may have said it's near Warburg, sorry. It's near WINFIELD :rolleyes:

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT