• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Samoa

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

alastairmcg

Apr 16, 2013
Im heading to Upolu Samoa next week with the mrs and packing my spearfishing gear. Has anyone got any recommendations on places to dive etc and places to stay hopefully with a reef! Have heard there can be lots of swell on the southern side this time of year?? Is it worth taking a big gun ( 4 rubbers ) for pelagic fish or just a 1200? Are the fish ok to eat (Ciguatera poisoning.) Be keen on any info u can share or contacts up there for some spearing.
Cheers Alastair.

Hi there,
we had a cyclone last December and much of the south coast reef took a real pounding. This is just after recovering from the tsunami a few years back. there are still a few spots with good fish and the open ocean fishing is always good. I mostly dive from shore but I can put you in contact with some of the guys who do bluewater if you want to bring your bazooka. I'll PM my contact details.
cheers, Sean

Hi there,
we had a cyclone last December and much of the south coast reef took a real pounding. This is just after recovering from the tsunami a few years back. there are still a few spots with good fish and the open ocean fishing is always good. I mostly dive from shore but I can put you in contact with some of the guys who do bluewater if you want to bring your bazooka. I'll PM my contact details.
cheers, Sean
Hi Sean, how was your trip to Samoa, I would like to plan a trip there to shoot fish. is it a worth while destination? Regards
Owen

Hi Sean, I'm heading to Samoa today, last min thing. Have you got any advice or locations for spearing of the beach? Hope it was a good trip. Guy

Hi Guy, just came across your post. Hope you had a good trip though this is the middle of the rainy season and visibility is pretty crap at moment. when shore diving Upolu basically just look out for a safe looking channel in the reef and chances are you'll come across some GT or snapper once you reach the drop off. If you head to the off shore reefs (there's some good once just out from Apia harbour) then theres dog tooth & the odd mahi mahi.
cheers
Sean

Hi Guy, just came across your post. Hope you had a good trip though this is the middle of the rainy season and visibility is pretty crap at moment. when shore diving Upolu basically just look out for a safe looking channel in the reef and chances are you'll come across some GT or snapper once you reach the drop off. If you head to the off shore reefs (there's some good once just out from Apia harbour) then theres dog tooth & the odd mahi mahi.
cheers
Sean
hi smee
i was wondering if you were still around Upolu. i have recently moved to Apia and looking to get back into spearfishing but could do with some advice on where some good places are to get started. any help would be much appreciated
cheers

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT