• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearfishing spain, italy, greece

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

dravid h

Feb 1, 2004
me and some mates are planning a trip to the med in september onwards, does anyone have experience of spearfishing in spain, italy and greece that can give us good advice on places to go and places not to bother with.

Hi Dravid,

I am off to Italy for some spearfishing in March-April I'll let you know as soon as I can how it is in there. I would imagine the south is better hunting than the north part of the country. But fear not, my plans include hunting south and north and Malta.. so I'll let you know how it is as soon as I have experienced it..

Pekka

hello Dravid.my name is Emre.I am planning a spearfishing trip to europe between 20 sept and 20 oct.I am also looking information about italy?we can talk

Hello spearfishers,

I want to travel to the north of Italy, Livorno. Which is the closest spearfishing spot nearby?
Does anybody know if there are problems in entering Italy with a speargun in the luggage?
Thank you very much for any hint.

I will also be hitting the med next year, and want to take my speargun. Any useful tips on customs, and locations suitable for hunting would be great.

Maybe a hit list of the top 10 species to keep an eye out for. Possible dangerous species... jellyfish, poisonous fish etc.

Also what is the general attitude to spearfishing out there? For example if i was to walk down to the beach from my house with a speargun in my hand, would this be frowned upon?

Are floats common practice? is a wetsuit needed for prolonged hunting sessions? Are the tides dangerous in particular ares?

I think spaghetti would be a great help on this thread... PLEASE RESCUE US!!!:D:D:D

Thnaks alot,
Huw :D

for adicora:
Livorno? Why Livorno? If you have a particular reason to go right there, the favourite place for spearfishing is Antignano, a small coast village ten minutes drive south from town.
I think you may contact the local spearo club Ci.Ca.Sub "Garibaldi" Livorno, and ask if some of those guys will take you spearfishing with them. Not sure they will, but why not trying?
Email: livorno@cicasubgaribaldi.it Phone:0586 895356.

While if Livorno is just an idea like many others for you, please let me know what sort of trip is on your mind: only sea and spearfishing? Or also arts, sightseeing, museums and so? let me know this, then I would be happy to give you some interesting suggestions. (and this is also for Huw)

I KNEW THAT SPAGHETTI COULD HELP!!!

Thanks my friend... i have lots of questions that i am dying to ask you!!!

Huw.

So Guys, I have been living in italy for 10 years and the main attitude toward spearfihing is really good, you won´t have any problems with your speargun in your arms while you´re going to the beach, and the tide isn´t really important unless you are not next to a river (at low tide very bad vis.), just pay some attention on scorpion fish and (in italian tracina) don´t really know this fish in english.
I´m planning a trip to sardinia in oktober, so if anybody is interested , please contact me!

Spearfishing in Sardinia is not a problem at all, it`s a wonderful place and you will love it.
Spearfishing in Elba is also a great experience. Crystal clear water and nice people.
Enjoy

John

ive been there but i didnt see ne fish has any1 got any tips john have you and thanks for replying
Spearfishing in Sardinia is not a problem at all, it`s a wonderful place and you will love it.
Spearfishing in Elba is also a great experience. Crystal clear water and nice people.
Enjoy

John

ive been there but i didnt see ne fish has any1 got any tips john have you and thanks for replying

If you arrive with the ferry, went to Cabo Enfola. It is not far away from Portoferraio, about 20 minutes. There is a divingschool and around Enfola it`s really wonderful for diving and spearfishing.
There is a big rock and around that rock you will be successful.
I am :inlove with this place

Hope that helps

John

yes that helped i dont come by ferrie but im sure i could go there if anyone esle has tips please reply and thanks for replying john

Whats on..

I just got back from my trip to Lanzarote.. We scored a load of class hollow waves and when the surf went flat the diving was simply epic. Some of the most beautiful crystal clear waters I've ever seen.

Bagged some Red Mullet, Parrot Fish (Viejo), Bream (Sargo) and some big yellow things from the Mega Herd! Also saw some rays, some Angel Sharks and few other fish.. unfortunately no big Grouper.. but they'll be there for next time!

Enjoy! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: spaghetti
Cool vid, must have been lots of fun!
The "yellow things must be this fish, boops salpa (not 100% sure due to messy action in the clip). Is it it?
BoopsSalpa.jpg

Yep thats the Fish alright.. Boops Salpa eh.. I just did a search under that and the English name is "Cow Bream"

The ones I had were about 4/5lbs.. and there were about 10,000 of them!!

Cheers for that.. we were wondering what they were called!! :)

They always get around in numbers: very social fish, always in schools. In our waters, where the concentration of spearos is pretty high, the've become very aware of the dangers od spearguns, and got quite difficult to get close with a direct approach: it takes a stealthy, agguato style undirect approach to get them in range. Believe it or not, groups of salpae over here have developped a system of sentinels ready to alarm the whole school soon as a spearo gets close, no matter how slick you dive onto them.

Hi there,

could anyone offer some pointers on spearing around Ibiza - my boss has a little place in portanatz and Im hoping to advantage but I dont really know anything about Ibiza or its fish?

Any info warmly received! :)
Thanks

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT