• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing spots in Cabo San Lucas, MX

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

matej.vacik

Nov 7, 2010
Hi I found couple of threads about spearfishing in Cabo but most of them just say, you should better go to La Paz or that local pangas wont allow you to bring speargun on the trip etc.

I am going to Cabo in 3 weeks and I would like to do some shore dives. I will have the car so can travel between Cabo and San Jose. I dont want to drive 2 hours to La Paz though :) I am looking for location/dive spots advice.

I will appreciate any tips!

I was in Cabo 2 years ago and did some decent shore dives/spearfishing in Santa Maria and Las Viudas beaches. I was not 100% sure if it is legal there :) I know that the Chileno Bay has "no speargun" signs and I fully respect that, but I noticed that there is a small secluded beach on the very right (south) side of Chileno bay, where nobody goes and probably does not belong to Chileno beaches protected area? Anybody has any experience with that?

I heard that there is some decent beach access on Palmilla beach, but have not tried it. Any experience?

I saw some spearfishing videos on youtube that look like they were shot on that inlet beach at the end of San Jose Marina/port - next to the stone wall protecting the marina where locals go to swim. Anybody tried that?

Again, I will appreciate all your comments and sharing your experience.

Thanks

Spearfishing is legal in Mexico, freediving only, and you must carry a sportfishing licence with you (better have it in a drybox on your buoy, i know people who have been controlled by authorities offshore San Jose.)
One can buy one day fishing licence for 120 pesos at the marina.
One year spearfishing licence can be purchased for about 600 pesos on the first floor of puerto paraiso shopping mall, at a distributor that sells all kind of government papers.
Spearfishing anywhere between Land's end and Punta cabeza de Ballena is illegal.The bay of Cabo being a national park/no take zone.
Also ,one cannot spearfish at less than 200metres from the shore of a public beach (santa maria, chileno etc)
There are also minimum size limits, which are hard to find in english, but as long as you stay within the limit of 3 fish per person per day,you ll be fine.
I never had a problem to get a panga or a water taxi to go out freediving/spearing.Some sportfishing companies don t like it and may try to tell people that spearing is illegal, but it's b.s.
Just walk in the marina and people will propose you to go out.
local guys do shore diving from Las viudas,El Tule,la playita in San Jose.
there are also a lot of shore access between the hotels in the corridor area ,between Chileno and San Jose.
Depending on the conditions ,it is also possible,when the Pacific waves are not too big,to drive to Todos santos or Cerritos and do shorediving there.

Reactions: Jussi Laitinen
Spearfishing is legal in Mexico, freediving only, and you must carry a sportfishing licence with you (better have it in a drybox on your buoy, i know people who have been controlled by authorities offshore San Jose.)
One year spearfishing licence can be purchased for about 600 pesos on the first floor of puerto paraiso shopping mall, at a distributor that sells all kind of government papers.
Spearfishing anywhere between Land's end and Punta cabeza de Ballena is illegal.The bay of Cabo being a national park/no take zone.
Also ,one cannot spearfish at less than 200metres from the shore of a public beach (santa maria, chileno etc)
There are also minimum size limits, which are hard to find in english, but as long as you stay within the limit of 3 fish per person per day,you ll be fine.
I never had a problem to get a panga or a water taxi to go out freediving/spearing.Some sportfishing companies don t like it and may try to tell people that spearing is illegal, but it's b.s.
there are also a lot of shore access between the hotels in the corridor area ,between Chileno and San Jose.
Depending on the conditions ,it is also possible,when the Pacific waves are not too big,to drive to Todos santos or Cerritos and do shorediving there.

Many thanks to Lobo Marino, very helpful.

I'll spend 22-28 in Los Cabos and look for freediving & spearing opportunities. A buddy would be the best.

I'm thinking about bringing all the gear except gun and weights. Can I rent them somewhere?

Saludos,
Jussi

Lobo, care to go spearing around Christmas? Beers are on me!

Cheers,
Jussi

For whomever wants to meet up.

Feb 17 - Cabo San Lucas, Baja
Mar 15 - La Paz, Baja
April 12 - Lima, Peru
May 2 - Machu Picchu, Peru
May 20 - Costa Rica

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT