• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Tenerife

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

griff777

Dec 6, 2010
Im going for 2 week holiday to Tenerife (costa adeje) in Jan 2011 does anyone know any spearfishing info on the island ???

Hi Griff777,

I am heading over to Tenerife in a week and from what I gather there are restricted zones to fish and you will also need a license. Obtaining a license sounds a rather difficult affair needing a Spanish doctors certificate of health, insurance and around a 40 Euro fee.
Mediterranean Fishing • View topic - Need some info on Teneriffe spearing...
May offer a little more info...
I will take my gear but will more than likely just have a good old snorkel about..;)
Hope you have a good trip.

Max

Hi Did you end up getting any joy with Permits when in Tenerife, and what was it like...Contemplating a holiday there but would be good to be informed before making a decision..Thanks

Hi Boogabund, unfortunately I did not manage to obtain a permit and just satisfied myself with some snorkeling and Surfing. I did literally bump into a spearfisher while snorkeling in one of the excluded zones-he was very flustered when he saw me and later in the car park was very quick packing up! Crystal clear water and a good amount of fish leaves me to believe that it would certainly worth obtaining one should you visit. Good luck!

Hey Boogabund, did you end up getting a license? Heading up to Teneriffe in October 2023 and trying to get some info.
Cheers!
I *might* be on the Canary islands in November - December so I spent a tremendous amount of time on the licensing issue. Here is the situation.

1) You MUST get a medical certification from the local doctor which is very easy. It must contain the words: “apto para la pesca submarina a pulmón libre”.
To find a doctor for the checkup Google the term “certificados medicos” or “reconocimientos medicos”, and you will find the nearest one.
They are usually strategically located near government buildings, especially near the department of motor vehicles, which in Spain
is called “Direccion General de Tráfico”. Here is example for Tenerife:
Address: Gomermedi Los Cristianos Driver Recognition Center, on Avenida Ámsterdam, 1. Local A-34 Edificio Valdés Center
However I believe this one is too far from the “Consejería de Pesca”. Not sure

2) Obtain a license at “Consejería de Pesca”. On Tenerife there is only one place:
Edificio Multiples 1, planta 0, Avenida Francisco la Roche, 35, Santa Cruz de Tenerife
Phone: +34 822 17 19 73

- Visit the fishing office, known as “Consejería de Pesca”, with your passport
- Fill the application form
- Pick up the bank payment form Canarian Tax Agency Form 700
- Go to the bank, and pay the licence registration fee
- Go back to the fishing office, and present the application form, bank payment slip, and doctor’s certificate
- Pick up your license, on the spot

3) There are on-line service that will get the license for you provided you supply them with your medical certificate. I got in touch with one of them and he said that he DOES NOT RECOMMEND his own service because it takes up to 6 days. He said that they give priority to the foreigners so if you do everything by yourself it might take only a day in total. Maybe two since the government offices close early.

4) Read more information here: https://pescarecreativatenerife.com/en. Based on that you *might* need to schedule an appointment at “Consejería de Pesca” through a phone call. Make sure you have your passport with you everywhere you go. Overall it is a pain in the ass. I beleive on Gran Canaria you do not have to schedule an appointment.

Cheers!

I *might* be on the Canary islands in November - December so I spent a tremendous amount of time on the licensing issue. Here is the situation.

1) You MUST get a medical certification from the local doctor which is very easy. It must contain the words: “apto para la pesca submarina a pulmón libre”.
To find a doctor for the checkup Google the term “certificados medicos” or “reconocimientos medicos”, and you will find the nearest one.
They are usually strategically located near government buildings, especially near the department of motor vehicles, which in Spain
is called “Direccion General de Tráfico”. Here is example for Tenerife:
Address: Gomermedi Los Cristianos Driver Recognition Center, on Avenida Ámsterdam, 1. Local A-34 Edificio Valdés Center
However I believe this one is too far from the “Consejería de Pesca”. Not sure

2) Obtain a license at “Consejería de Pesca”. On Tenerife there is only one place:
Edificio Multiples 1, planta 0, Avenida Francisco la Roche, 35, Santa Cruz de Tenerife

- Visit the fishing office, known as “Consejería de Pesca”, with your passport
- Fill the application form
- Pick up the bank payment form Canarian Tax Agency Form 700
- Go to the bank, and pay the licence registration fee
- Go back to the fishing office, and present the application form, bank payment slip, and doctor’s certificate
- Pick up your license, on the spot

3) There are on-line service that will get the license for you provided you supply them with your medical certificate. I got in touch with one of them and he said that he DOES NOT RECOMMEND his own service because it takes up to 6 days. He said that they give priority to the foreigners so if you do everything by yourself it might take only a day in total. Maybe two since the government offices close early.

4) Read more information here: https://pescarecreativatenerife.com/en. Based on that you *might* need to schedule an appointment at “Consejería de Pesca” through a phone call. Make sure you have your passport with you everywhere you go. Overall it is a pain in the ass. I beleive on Gran Canaria you do not have to schedule an appointment.

Cheers!
Thanks, that‘s the thorough guide I was looking for.

I contacted some locals and even them did give me really different info.

One guy even said you could just go with your medical certificate to a fishing shop and they would do it for 38€ (within one day).

But your version is the one I have read the most of.

When will you be there?

Thanks, that‘s the thorough guide I was looking for.

I contacted some locals and even them did give me really different info.

One guy even said you could just go with your medical certificate to a fishing shop and they would do it for 38€ (within one day).

But your version is the one I have read the most of.

When will you be there?
Well, going through a tackle shop would be good because while you must do your medical exam in person, a tackle shop will save you
- a trip to the licensing place where you fill out the application
- a trip to a bank to pay the fee
- a trip back to the licensing place to submit all paperwork
- and possibly yet another trip to the licensing place to pick up your license if they don't give it to you right away!!!!!!

However I was told by one German guy who live in Gran Canaria that while he recommends going through a tackle shop - it will take a week to get your license. He is a spearfisher and told me he would even help me through the process. So it might be better for you to go this way. Driving around in a taxi to all these offices will be expensive. Unfortunately I will be on a boat (if I come after all) and I am not going wait a week to get my license - it might not be even possible.On top of that if you want to get fish - stay away from Tenerife and especially Gran Canaria. Places are overfished and over regulated. Other islands are way better.
As far as when I will be there - do not know. The yacht that I am supposed to join is now in Croatia and slowly going to the Canary island. When and if I know it will be there - I will buy an airplane ticket. According to a preliminary calculation - late Novemeber

Here are addresses of ALL places where a class 2 fishing license that you need can be obtained (one on each island)

Gran Canaria

This office has plenty of parking space right in front of it.
Remember to put a coin in the parking ticket machine if you’re taking a car.
Next, place the receipt inside the car, where it is visible.

Avenida Alcalde José Ramírez Bethencourt, nº22- Edificio Jinamar
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
Phone: +34 928 11 75 67
=
Fuerteventura

Cabildo de Fuerteventura

C/. Lucha Canaria, nº 112. Puerto del Rosario.
Phone: +34 928 53 11 84/+34 928 53 12 03
=
Lanzarote

The Lanzarote fishing office is next to “El Reducto” beach. It is a nice yellow building. You can’t miss it.
Cabildo de Lanzarote
Oficina de Información y Atención al ciudadano:
Avenida Fred Olsen, s/n.
Arrecife.
Phone: +34 928 81 01 00 (Ext. 2359)/+34 928 81 01 00 (Ext. 2103)

=
Tenerife

=
La Gomera

Cabildo de La Gomera
C/. Profesor Armas Fernández, nº 2. San Sebastián de La Gomeria.
Phone: +34 922 14 01 02

=
La Palma

Cabildo de La Palma:
Avda. Marítima, nº 3. Santa Cruz de La Palma.
Phone:+34 922 42 31 00 (Ext. 1175 y 1176)

=
El Hierro

Cabildo de El Hierro
C/. Doctor Quintero, nº 11. Valverde.
Phone: +34 922 55 01 01/+34 922 55 00 78

I attached the map where all these offices are marked - might be handy to visualize.

Cheers

Attachments

• CANARY_FISHING_LICENSE_PLACES.png
    CANARY_FISHING_LICENSE_PLACES.png
    917.5 KB · Views: 57
Reactions: Bjoern | Spearzen
Well, going through a tackle shop would be good because while you must do your medical exam in person, a tackle shop will save you
- a trip to the licensing place where you fill out the application
- a trip to a bank to pay the fee
- a trip back to the licensing place to submit all paperwork
- and possibly yet another trip to the licensing place to pick up your license if they don't give it to you right away!!!!!!

However I was told by one German guy who live in Gran Canaria that while he recommends going through a tackle shop - it will take a week to get your license. He is a spearfisher and told me he would even help me through the process. So it might be better for you to go this way. Driving around in a taxi to all these offices will be expensive. Unfortunately I will be on a boat (if I come after all) and I am not going wait a week to get my license - it might not be even possible.On top of that if you want to get fish - stay away from Tenerife and especially Gran Canaria. Places are overfished and over regulated. Other islands are way better.
As far as when I will be there - do not know. The yacht that I am supposed to join is now in Croatia and slowly going to the Canary island. When and if I know it will be there - I will buy an airplane ticket. According to a preliminary calculation - late Novemeber

Here are addresses of ALL places where a class 2 fishing license that you need can be obtained (one on each island)

Gran Canaria

This office has plenty of parking space right in front of it.
Remember to put a coin in the parking ticket machine if you’re taking a car.
Next, place the receipt inside the car, where it is visible.

Avenida Alcalde José Ramírez Bethencourt, nº22- Edificio Jinamar
Las Palmas de Gran Canaria.
Phone: +34 928 11 75 67
=
Fuerteventura

Cabildo de Fuerteventura

C/. Lucha Canaria, nº 112. Puerto del Rosario.
Phone: +34 928 53 11 84/+34 928 53 12 03
=
Lanzarote

The Lanzarote fishing office is next to “El Reducto” beach. It is a nice yellow building. You can’t miss it.
Cabildo de Lanzarote
Oficina de Información y Atención al ciudadano:
Avenida Fred Olsen, s/n.
Arrecife.
Phone: +34 928 81 01 00 (Ext. 2359)/+34 928 81 01 00 (Ext. 2103)

=
Tenerife

=
La Gomera

Cabildo de La Gomera
C/. Profesor Armas Fernández, nº 2. San Sebastián de La Gomeria.
Phone: +34 922 14 01 02

=
La Palma

Cabildo de La Palma:
Avda. Marítima, nº 3. Santa Cruz de La Palma.
Phone:+34 922 42 31 00 (Ext. 1175 y 1176)

=
El Hierro

Cabildo de El Hierro
C/. Doctor Quintero, nº 11. Valverde.
Phone: +34 922 55 01 01/+34 922 55 00 78

I attached the map where all these offices are marked - might be handy to visualize.

Cheers
Then I think my first stop will be at the Medical Office to get the certificate and then I will check at the tackle shop how long it would take for them to get the license. If they can do it within one or two days, I will do other stuff in the meanwhile.

If it does take longer I will drive up to the offices and try to obtain the licence the way you described.

Well then I wish you a great journey.

I will let you know how it went with the licence and the fishing.

Then I think my first stop will be at the Medical Office to get the certificate and then I will check at the tackle shop how long it would take for them to get the license. If they can do it within one or two days, I will do other stuff in the meanwhile.

If it does take longer I will drive up to the offices and try to obtain the licence the way you described.

Well then I wish you a great journey.

I will let you know how it went with the licence and the fishing.
Seems logical. By the way, how will you get weights for your belt? Bring with you?

Seems logical. By the way, how will you get weights for your belt? Bring with you?
So far I have distributed the weights in my hand luggage, and my Big (checkin) Luggage (trips to croatia, cyprus and greece). The weights were checked in 1/3 flights. I have heard they are a little cautious in Teneriffe though. So I will probably put it all into my sporttube with my spearfishing gear (I ceck this in as fishing equipment/ sports equipment). Maybe some in my checkin luggage.

So far I have distributed the weights in my hand luggage, and my Big (checkin) Luggage (trips to croatia, cyprus and greece). The weights were checked in 1/3 flights. I have heard they are a little cautious in Teneriffe though. So I will probably put it all into my sporttube with my spearfishing gear (I ceck this in as fishing equipment/ sports equipment). Maybe some in my checkin luggage.
I see. So you are bringing your own. I will try to get it while I am over there. By the way I had trouble carrying weights in my hand luggage so I stopped. In the USA they went crazy with restrictions - I had my luggage ARRESTED because of a tube of neoprene glue!!!! It delayed my luggage by three days (was flying to Azores) and I landed on a special suspect list. So my luggage was checked by the agents not only on departure but also on arrival!!!! probably for 2-3 years.

I see. So you are bringing your own. I will try to get it while I am over there. By the way I had trouble carrying weights in my hand luggage so I stopped. In the USA they went crazy with restrictions - I had my luggage ARRESTED because of a tube of neoprene glue!!!! It delayed my luggage by three days (was flying to Azores) and I landed on a special suspect list. So my luggage was checked by the agents not only on departure but also on arrival!!!! probably for 2-3 years.
I‘ll let you know when I see some shop for weights.

Haha that‘s crazy. So I better put my neoprene glue in my sporttube with the rest of the stuff.

I‘ll let you know when I see some shop for weights.

Haha that‘s crazy. So I better put my neoprene glue in my sporttube with the rest of the stuff.
No, it is a prohibited substance since it is flammable. Since you are not flying from the USA - you might get away with it. In the USA you can not bring it with you. It is explicitly prohibited. I am afraid to take it with me so I am forced to buy it locally.

Reactions: Bjoern | Spearzen
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT