• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Trips - El Salvador C.A.

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

walterrieger

Apr 9, 2004

Attachments

• gallo11.jpg
    gallo11.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 349
Niiiiice. That's a beauty.
What kind of fish is it? where did you get it/how deep?
Was it good tasting? :)

Hi Michael!

This is a Roosterfish. They like to hunt in sandy bottoms with reefs close at a depth of no more than 12'. This is the strongest and smartest fish we have around on coastal waters. This one was 32 lb, I shot it in 6' of water and he was strong enough to drag me for abot five minutes until he got tired.
Big Male Roosterfishes (up to 80 lb) travel in small grous of 3 to 6 individuals and even if they have no teeth, they have an curious-aggressive character. I know some places where Roosters always hunt, when I enter in their hunting zone they come to check you out and try to intimidate you to leave their hunting area. I have never paralyzed one of these, no matter if I try to hit them in a lethal area, they always drag me around for a while.
The meat of Roosterfishes is not particulary good, it has a strong taste and is very dark. Even so the local people like them and prepare them like tuna. I like to shoot this fishes because of the fight, but I always give them to some local friends who like them and need the meat. We shoot nothing that is not going to be eaten.

Walter!

Reactions: DeepThought
So big, that shallow, curious and hunts in groups! if it would've tasted better it would'nt have survived I guess. :)
Looks like they have an impressive presence down there...
10x for the info.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT