• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Video Review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I know here is the Riffe dealer.Probably you don`t know anything about god damned politics here. There is two nationality in island and it split into two region.We are not allowed to pass other side just like the border line between two country and the Riffe dealer is in the other side:waterwork .I want very much to see Riffe guns but i can`t.With car it is just one hour away to me.

Geee Murat, I thought where I live, the politic is number 1 from the bottom. Looks like u r in a worse place.Poor boy. Anyway the Berlin wall collapsed eventually. Hope ur place get better next time. Get ur passport and ur dad 2 drive you. Are you living on the more comfortable side of the island or .... ?

IYA

Worst side. It is the one of the worst place in the earth (in my opinion) . I hope this don`t blame any one

hi guys

what abou spearfishing the coral sea and freediving adventures vanuatu I own them both great videos.

cheers

Hi Andrew,

Can u tell us what are the footage available on the videos ? Fishes types and the location of the hunt.

Thanks
IYA

hi Iyadiver

Coral sea is as it says the Coral Sea of queensland first the vis in the movie is awsome way over 100ft in one place when they go blue water hunting, guns used are all Piccasos, Divers are australian champ rob torreli, Andy Ruddock, Arnie Piccoli all are awsome divers and hunt at unbelivebale dpths for god knows how long fish include all the tropical reef species such as coral trout, job fish etc then they also spear some good size dog tooth tuna, and one wahoo there is footage of Ian puckerige swimming his 83kg world record dog tooth tuna back to the boat, few stone shots on doggies and barracuda at a good range, if you have any other specific questions just ask.

Freediving Vanuatu, divers are Chris Cartwright, Steve Crabtree, vis is again awsome, guns used are one huge Tuna gun wooden with 5 rubbers and slip tip and all that, the other is just a long wooden gun with 2 bands, Main fish targeted is Dog tooth tuna they shoot a few good ones Chris also gets the spear into a 70kg monster but in pulls his floats and bungees under and breaks the 600lb line on the reef 50m below, other fish are a few wahoo, job fish and 2 missed shots a sailfish, They dive on the fads , monument rock and a bommie that is 80ft down Steve swims down and waits on the bottom do these guys have gills, again any specific questions just ask

cheers

Thanks A Lot Andrew,

The Vanuatu sure sounds damn exciting. So comforting to know I am throwing my hard earned currency-converted-to-expensive -USDollars for some good action footage.

IYA

Last edited:
Spearfishing in the Coral Sea

Good!!

Hana Paa Hawaii Skin Diver Epic
Lots of action, culminating in Gene Higa's 3 prong action, good!

L'Agguato Profundo
Italian video in Mediterranean, diver with 3 min breathholds, Camera man is EVEN MORE IMPRESSIVE!! GREAT!!!

L'Agguato Profondo di Dapiran is the best spearfishing video I have ever seen period.
:)

Is L'aguatto Profondo 2 out? "la vendetta?" I saw a trailer for it just now... was wondering. Dapiran is a smooth diver with great bottom times, attacking some of the hardest fish! Great spearo and cameraman on the job!!

Erik

not sure about this info but camera man may be Pelizzari on some of his videos, i geuss :hmm

I admit that I haven't seen most of the videos being discussed here but they sound like shots of really advanced spearos doing really advanced spearing. The only one I have seen is Terry Maas' and that makes me think that they are for moderately advanced spearos with ambition and beginners with dreams. What about those of us still standing on the beach (waiting for the rain to quit! :vangry)? I read the announcement of Dale's Gone to Baja and bought it 'cause it seemed aimed at me, the middle-aged ignorant. If any of you out there are in the same catagory, even if not middle-aged, I recommend it. It isn't Stephan Spielberg, technically, and you can see that it was shot by divers with a camera rather than cameramen with flippers. No problem. I can relate better that way, anywho. The interview with Jay Riffe and his (yummy!) daughter are straightforward and honest, look-you-in-the-eye kind of things. The dive sequences make it look possible to anybody in normal health and the pictures of cooking fish leave drool all over the couch. If you're already good at the sport, you don't need this one (unless you just like looking at Julie) but I've run through it more than once already and will again (at least until the rain stops :vangry)

Another great and very inspiring movie is: Pedro Carbonell - Un campeon en Galicia.
The movie shows a hunting trip of Pedro Carbonell and a friend of his, a guy who has lost his leg in an accident but still dives regularly and with great success. The way he dives and shoots over 5 kilo sea basses despite his handicap is reaaaaaly impressive. Pedro is also great though, I have never seen anyone shooting so fast without aiming for a second! Looks like a western movie:)
Great stuff!!!

I have the new one "Gone to Baja" as well and I would recommend it to someone thats just started or hasnt yet started, or maybe is looking to go on one of Gone to Bajas trips. Otherwise I personally didnt think it was that good; again my opinion.

Overall though, the best vid Ive seen is "Blue, spearfishing the Californias", some really nice footage giving me dreams of visiting Cali oneday for myself; but until then my Wyoming freshwater hunting will suit just fine.

Any Q's shoot me a pm.

Cheers,
Justin

Last edited:
Reactions: feign
I agree with Justin about "Blue - spearfishing the Californias". Of the half dozen spearfishing shows I have seen Vanuatu, coral sea, searching, gone to baja, breaking the barrier, blue - it is by far the best movie I have seen. It is available through various online vendors. I found myself re-watching it over again several times. I hope those guys in No. Cali make another movie like that one.

Lee

The Spearfishing 101 video is more of an instructional video, it is designed for the first timer or no timer. We are in the process of shooting another video and Julie Riffe will be in it.

It will be on our expdition for the world record Lepoard grouper in Baja.

As our production budgets get bigger so will the action. Thanks to all of you out there that have checked out our project, and for your reviews.

GTB

Sounds great GTB. Your video 101 was well done. Like you said, it was made for the first timer. I look forward to your next videos.

Lee

Watch Victor Abellan's "Al Acecho"

Its simply awesome. Extreme dentex hunting with a few AJ ang grouper included.

All using the aspetto and aguatto (ambush) technique. Victor is the strongest disciple of superjedi Dapiran.

Murat: Aguatto profondo cameraman was Sheilo Pisciottu. His apnea is incredible. And his camera skills even better. Watch "Sogni Blu" where he films in apnea in nature reserves around italy. Spectacular images of dentex, groupers, barracudas, monster AJ and tunas .

Shaca Zulu, its good to hear from you again mate. Where you and memo were been all that time? I hope you and he had a great time over there. Thanks for the video clips, and liked your galery very much in pescasub :)

ps:It should be hard to move with all that big wood blocks in the water rofl. Are you turning from euro style to american?? :ko

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT