• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing Video Review

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
GTB. nice trailer, let me at that school of Grouper any day. What depths were they at? here, big ones, 15+m. although some are around the 10m mark.

I figured you would like that GrouperMaddness!

The school of grouper was at 20m

We have other devices for getting great footage other than freediving. We use mixed gas rebreathers to be able to sit on the bottom for over 3 hours with no bubbles comming out. It makes it possible to get footage that you would not normaly get.

GTB
www.spearfishingvideos.com
www.gonetobaja.com

I highly recommend SOGNI BLU

Its the best underwater footage i have seen and all taken on Apnea.

NO guns, no aqualungs just a monster breathhold and an awesome cameraman.

This.

It means Blue Dreams (I have those quite often rofl rofl)

sogni_blu.jpg

http://www.imagovideosub.it/video/009_sogni_blu/index_homepage_foto.htm

gonetobaja said:
We have other devices for getting great footage other than freediving. We use mixed gas rebreathers to be able to sit on the bottom for over 3 hours with no bubbles comming out. It makes it possible to get footage that you would not normaly get.

I often thought about to use a rebreather for shooting (filming) underwater someday.
But with an open circuit (?) mixed gas rebrather you have some bubbles,too.
Not very much but you have some . And you also have breathing noises.
No problems with the fish while shooting???? Or did you use it for some editing footage?

Shane - I think that I have seen sogni blu ... it is awesome - just starts off with grouper shots and music - all around Sardinia ? And the shots of those dentex about mid way through ... wow. No spearing just great fish shots... I thought it was shot on scuba.

Not my fav. kind of music but the images...

Anyway I think this is the same film.

Ed
(Also planning on making a short film with some mates... tried really hard to persuade a friend to use her camera but despite mine and Pete's efforts (and alot of red wine) she still said 'how much you gonna pay me...' Guess I will start saving for a camera or get better at sketching... mind you 25 frames a second to sketch... hmmm)

---------

Oh - also seen the L'Aguatto Profundo one - that's with Dapiran ? And a large tuna at the end ? And the Costa Smerelda one is quite good too - deep diving and a mixed bag o' fish - My mate Fabio has a growing collection but when I saw them him and his wife were feeding me amazing Italian food and wine so I don't remember all the details :)

Last edited:
THats the one Ed.

The guy that filmed Sogni Blu is the same one that filmed dapiran in Aguatto Profondo 1

He uses a Big Professional Camera and has a HUGE apnea.

I sort of like that indian tribal music. Great for crashing ;)

Pretty sure those dentex would have not come so close if it was on Scuba.

The rebreathers we use are PRISM Closed Circut. They let out no bubbles whatsoever except when you are on asent from the bottom. They make no noise with the exception of the occasional solenoid from the O2 system giving you a blast of O2. You can breath very gently into the system and just lay on the bottom and the fish come right up to you. We are shooting with the new Sony Z-1 HDV camera with a Sea and Sea FX-1 housing.

To make a good spearfishing video you have to have a great apena like Shane said or you can cheat like me and get your Closed Circut Rebreather. I got tired of mising shots on trips. With the bigger HD cameras it is much harder to freedive with them and the shooter cannot hold them and shoot at the same time.

We have a section on our DVD that is just fish and music. its different from the actual Show. You can get in on the index. Its 8min and just fish and music.

GTB

ajwaverider said:
I have that one .Not a bad vid but not number on my list .It does show a variety of fish being shot and some scenes of some rig diving in the gulf.The models in there are pretty hot ,still to much talking and not enough shooting . I would like to see a spearing vid with more unknown spearos in the lime lite .Just imho.

Im partial to that one b/c Im in it...and Im about as unknown as it gets rofl

Re: How's the viz??

icarus pacific said:
Yeah well, being in Tennessee isn't going to help. :blackeye

Nope, but it is a nice change of pace for a little while. :) But how much was I getting to dive when I lived on the coast? The problem with being a charter boat captain is too much time ON the water and not enough IN it! The only days off are when it's too rough to go out! :duh

Think Im makin a migration south in a couple of weeks to moisten up...be on the lookout for a report.

Bluewater Hunters... This is definetly not what I wanted to get out of a spearfishing movie. It is more like a documentary on what a bluewater hunter consists of, but not any action at all. Not a recommended buy.

Gone to Baja: Speafishing 101... if you are just starting out in spearfishing, then yea i would recommend it because this film definetly goes over the basics and gives some good pointers for people just starting out. But if you are anything more than a brand new diver, then I would not recommend this. Recommended buy for beginners.

Wet Dreams... THIS IS AWESOME!!!!!!!! this is by far the best film I have seen yet. The headhunter spearfishing team is awesome, the guys are so good at shooting. they also hunt fish that i can relate to and also fish that i dream about, grouper, cobia, snapper, mahi-mahi, wahoo, hogfish, tuna and much more. Perfect mix of talking and action. RECOMMENDED FOR EVERYONE!

Hawaiin Skin Diver_Volume 1... This film is different from all the others I own in that a "play-by-play" commentary is given by the diver as each sequence is showing. They do not really hunt many fish that i can relate too but it is still a fairly cool movie because their hunting styles are very cool. They also have a segment on three prong hunting which is very awesome! The have some awesome footage on mahi-mahi hunting too (as does Wet Dreams). Recommended for everyone, as long as you dont mind the foreign fish (unless those are the fish u relate to lol).

Hope this helps but again, its just my opinion. Later,
-Nick

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT