• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearfishing water safety (Scotland)

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

Verdant

Apr 24, 2017
Hello, been on this forum a while just looking at various aspects of spearfishing, what gear to get etc. Something I haven't yet seen is much information on staying safe in the water, specifically in regards to finding new spots to visit.

If I'm at a popular beach then I generally know its safe to swim in the water,but what about unknown places? I do a lot of wild camping and I want to travel to a remote Scottish island soon, find a good spot and do some spearfishing but I'm slightly apprehensive about getting in the water in case there's dangerous currents. I'm considering buying an open-top kayak which I'll stay tethered to underwater in case I run into trouble, then at least if I got swept out to sea I would be able to climb out the water and phone for help.

Basically, for everyone here who picks an unknown spot on a map to visit, how do you stay safe? What potential problems should I be wary of and how can I pick a safe fishing spot to dive in?

I would say do some research of the general area that you intend to go to with regards tidal direction and heights. Depending on the coast, the tide could be running parallel to the shore or directly in and out, or something between the two. Also the tide heights will give you an idea into how strong the tidal flow will be, you will know how you perform in your normal spots, compare that to the general area of the new place and adjust your swims/dives accordingly;) Knowledge is power.:D

Reactions: foxfish
I live on a remote Scottish island and the way i do it is to anchor the Kayak and then have a line from the Kayak to yourself. I actually use a fibre glass white water canoe which is more manoeuvrable and takes the waves better than my friends sea kayak.
I agree with the above though i use sea charts to look at the specific area i am going to go first other wise it would be like going out into the hills with no up to date maps. Local knowledge if it can be obtained when going to a new area is a big plus.

Last edited:
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT