• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Speargun advice

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

ramshack

Apr 12, 2020
I'm a small 5ft 1 person looking for advice on a good speargun for a small person. Currently looking for information on size and brand. Right now Im looking at the Frivvansliv brand and want to hear peoples experience with this brand.

Hi. Where are you spearing? What size fish? What is visibility like? I.e. your size is not the most critical factor, esp as some shorter people are very strong and/or have excellent technique.

Reactions: foxfish
Hi. Where are you spearing? What size fish? What is visibility like? I.e. your size is not the most critical factor, esp as some shorter people are very strong and/or have excellent technique.
Hi there, Thus far we've been going for flounder, cod, and other white fish around 3-10 lbs but hope to size up as I get better. I ended up going for a Frivvansliv sneaky hunter roller gun 85 cm with the option to change with my husband who has a rob Allen 75 cm railgun if it is too difficult to load. I have been fishing with a spear pole for the last several months and am excited to move up :)

Reactions: Mr. X
Cool :) Having the option of your husband's shorter, probably less powerful, more conventional speargun takes the risk out of it.

BTW Are you sure it is 75, RA railguns used to go up in tens, e.g. 50, 60, 70, 80, 90., 100. 75 is more usual for other companies though. Or is it a scorpia?

BTW Your rollergun appears to be exactly the same model as my Apnea Amorak roller Speargun! :) Great minds...

Great choice, I hope. See my Apnea Speargun discussion threads, for my thoughts on it so far (haven't dived with it yet, so just initial impressions). They are made in Turkey by Apnea and sometimes rebadged (e.g. for Australia and apparently for Norway). Let us know how you get on with it. :)
74859_Frivannsliv_Frivannsliv_Sneaky_Hunter_Roller_1.jpg

I opted for the 95cm version as I already have a 75 and a 90 which I am very happy with, so looking for a longer speargun ( although it is actually almost exactly the same size as my 90, albeit much heavier). I think the 85 and 75 versions are likely a better choice for most spearos with UK conditions though: more versatile and easier to load.

Last edited:
BTW If you start going after those humungous Norwegian halibut you may want to use the Rob Allen, possibly a longer one. With a break-away. :DSee Dan Mann's YouTube videos!

BTW If you start going after those humungous Norwegian halibut you may want to use the Rob Allen, possibly a longer one. With a break-away. :DSee Dan Mann's YouTube videos!
We will have to check the videos out! We average about 10 meters or less on the majority of dives we take currently-- halibut typically like the deep water so perhaps we will make our way down there eventually.

Anyway, the Rob Allen is a 70 cm (good catch), which my husband really likes so far. The new roller gun is a good upgrade for us because I think once the bands get some use I will be able to load it. Plus we wanted the option of a bit more power. Two things we have in question just after receiving it are that the body appears to be plastic externally and the bands are SUPER tight and rolls up past the roller (hopefully with time and use this gets better). Visibility varies here. It was excellent during the winter but with spring and warmer temperatures is varying from greater than 15 ft to 3-5 ft. Thanks for the advice and I will post some pics with the first fish we get with the new gun!

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT