• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

speargun rack

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

David Biron

Feb 2, 2003
Looking for good ideas on fabricating a speargun rack for the boat. Must be able to hole 90cm euro gun with reel as well as larger mid handle wood gun.

Not sure what you're looking for as far as advice, but definitely look into making it out of starboard.

Anderson

there is a company called Spearfishing Specialties that makes racks for some of Floridas commercial hunters. Try a search for them on the web...

gunrack

rigdvr - I have tried to find information on spearfishing specialties company without any luck. Their rack looks simple enough to build , however I'm not sure it will accept a gun with reel mounted too it? I've heard of people making standup racks using 3-4"pvc tubing.
My boat has rod racks moulded into the sides of the boat. These racks are virtually useless for a spearfisherman. I'm interested in how others have solved the "too many guns on the deck" dilema.

if you have a t-top you can bungie them to the post...be careful not to puncture your top! If not Im sure there is a grab rail or something you can use as a bungie location. Cheap and simple:cool:

gun rack

Hi David

I built a 4 gun rack for my boat that mounted the guns vertically along the gunnel, hand grips towards the center of the boat. It should adapt to any size gun. Starboard should work fine and you need a router with a starboard bit. The base is a block about 1 inch thick, routed out to fit the butt ends of the guns you expect to be using. It doesn't have to fit real tight. you make a separate piece, a retaining block, to mount as high on the side of the boat as reasonable, parralell to the base. Route out cut-outs to fit the barrels of the guns, plus about 3/4 inch on the outer edge of the starboard and about 1/2 in. wider than the gun slots. This outer slot is filled with a starboard block that is secured with a screw on one side. It swivels up and out of the way to remove a gun. In the down position it prevents the gun from falling out. When the gates are down, everything is flush across the front of the retaining block. Make sure you leave some material on the retaining block to keep the swivel block from falling below horizontal. For someone skilled with a router, this is dirt simple, for me it took some time, but makes a great rack, best I ever used. My boat at the time was twenty foot and we fished in some pretty rough weather. If you are in a similar situation, make sure the retaining block fits the guns snugly. The only worry on this type of rack depends on placement and the height of the guns, sharp spear tips may get the unwary.

Good luck

Connor

gun rack

Thanks for the information Connor. I would love to see a picture of what you made sometime. I'm pretty sure I could build what you described, however a picture would bring that certainty to 100%. Thanks again... your rack sounds great.

David

gun rack

David, sent you an email, need an address or fax to send diagrams. Let me know if you don't get it.

Connor

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT