• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing Barracuda

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

drunkinbda

The boys are back in town
Jul 11, 2004
hey all, just checkin on what ever thinks about the behaviours of barracuda. i know people shoot them all the time, but here in bermuda we are only allowed to use pole spears. every time i go out i see at least one cuda, and i really really want to get one but im unsure about if i miss. I guess i good quote for it is "how do you shoot the devil in the back.....what if you miss?"
basically im lookin for opinions on whether its gonna come attacking if i didnt get it first time, or if itll just be scared away.
any thoughts????

oh yeah.i guess ill add, in case it helps, that the cuda's i see are usually 3 feet long, not the big 6-8 ft that i see in most pics

when i was like 14 in the bahamas I baited one in and shot him in the head w/ a 1/4 shaft and HI sling. The spear bounced of and the 'cuda shot off leaving a trail of caviated bubles behind. Very impressive.

Lesson? 1) he didn't attack something 10x his size
2) go for a body shot w/ a pole spear. You might even consider some poly rope and a float to make sure you don't loose your gear.

cuda

We shoot big cuda here in the Persian gulf and my experience (5 footers) is that:

-If I miss, they do not come after me.

-They WILL leave with your spear if given half a chance (a friend lost his Riffe C2 spear to a small barracuda)

-They DO NOT LIKE TO DIE and will thrash and try to bite until they can no longer move

-As you pull them in, they normally come after you (in my experience) This makes it exciting so have a knife ready, grab the spear when you can and hold the things mouth away from you. Have a real good knife (preferably something that is more need like <ice pick style> and brain it quick... again, they will bite hard and while the teeth are small, there are 10s of them and you end up bleeding like a stuck pig (trust me). The last one I got (only 10-12 pounds) I had to ride to the botton with a knife in its head and holding on to the spear with the other hand... It would not give up.

-They cut up into large steaks for the BBQ quite nicely :)

From what I remember, barracudas cannot see from above. We use to dive down on them as they glide pass us and shoot for the middle of their backs (with a speargun). Usually we stone them or even get a kill shot. If you don't emobilize them, get ready for a fight. I think they will get away from you unless you have a good grip on that pole or have some strap that securely attaches the pole to yourself.

I have never been attacked by barracudas, even after swimming in the midst of a school of about a thousand. What I've heard is that they attack shiny objects in the water (rings, necklace, wristwatcher etc.) So you might not want to wear jewelry while hunting them.

Last edited:
awesome. i guess another follow up question since you guys are sayin they fight a lot is should i go with a standard tri-cut w/barbs tip, or a paralyzer?? and how strong do they pull? these are small compared to the average cuda, but im sure they got some strength to them....

tri-cut w/barbs tip! paralyzer is a waste of time and energy because cudas will tear it loose as they initiate their run. as with any other fish, a good solid shot is really important with cudas, and watch-out for their mouth, the little "innocent" cudas have smal razor sharp teeth that will really mess up your hand if given the chance

good luck

Well guys, i saw one today. Scared the crap out of me though cause i turned around and there he was. unfortunately i chickened out and started swimming the other way(had the thought of my shiny earrings lookin good to it). of course, as cudas are he followed for a lil bit, tauntin me and my buddy. I keep telling myself that come winter when i have a wetsuit ill have more balls and go get one, but not today.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT