• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing buddy in the Christchurch region

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

jpb69

Jun 21, 2007
Hey all, need a spear fishing buddy for trips to banks peninsula and kaikoura. I'm based in chch. Got the gear and while I'm not one of these extreme, hold my breath for 4 minutes sorts, I get my fair share of fish. 027 333 11 22.

Hey there

I'm not exactly in chch. But just a few hours north in Blenheim.

I'm also looking for fellow Spearo's who would be willing to show me a thing or two.

I may be totally green at this stage but I find that the steep learning curve of "keep up or get left behind" means I learn really quickly.

Please look at my post "New Zealand Newbie" in the introductions category for a bit of my background story.

Flick me a TXT on 021 045 1284 if you'd like.

Last edited:
I'll be there (new zealand) sometime this (your) summer and would greatly appreciate a trip out to do some spearing..and to learn a bit about what fish constitutes a good meal. I'm leaning towards bringing my mini-gun along (won't be able to pack the bigger gun) so I can have some fresh fish for dinner once in awhile.. any links to spearing regulations in new zealand you can direct me too?

Yeah, sweet, what part of NZ you planning on visiting??

* As far as I'm aware the only regulations for spearfishing are.
No spearing in freshwater, or freshwater species (ie: Trout and Salmon)
* Any fish landed must be of legal size (300mm for Cod, 250mm for Trumpeter, 350mm for Terakihi etc etc)
* The standard daily bag limit applies to all fisherman (this varies from area to area)
* No spearing of Krayfish is allowed.

Other than that you don't need a lisence and the sea is your Oyster so to speak.

we're going to try and visit as much of new zealand as possible.. no itinerary set.

thanks for the info on the spearfishing.. I'm seriously considering bringing my mini-gun but I'll have to soup it up some before hand.

Does the "No license required" include us non-residents?

Fred

Yip No lisence required.

But us locals may require all tourists to undergo an initiation before we show you our top secret dive spot. I should point out our spot is so secret that it's listed in the places to dive/fish hand book available from any good book shop here in NZ.

Tell anyone where you dived and we may have to dispose of you ;)

You should definatly check out the east coast of the south island when you come over.

North of Chch is a place called Kaikoura. One word describes the diving at this place when conditions are right. AWESOME.

For breathtaking scenery for lookie lookie diving. I've been told (by a pretty reliable source aka my father) that Milford sound is the place to dive. (although it's no where near chch, and not on the east coast)

Flick me a PM closer to the time when you come over and I may be able to (depending on exactly when you're over) arrange a non-charter, take you to the real spots dive with my Dad and our crew of scallywags down south. Look up Moeraki on a tourist NZ website to get an idea of where I'll be diving over summer, the reef is about 7miles off the coast.

Last edited:
Heya guys, Yeah head to kaikora fjohnson. Easy enough to find two hours by car or bus north of Chch. Would need to soup up your little gun. How big is little though 80cm? Two rubbers and you'd be fine. Got a single butter fish today yay for me. Had he girl in the car so had limited time in the water, passing through. Sorry I did not get in contact Spanner hectic. So spanner can you get yourself to kaikoura at some stage? Would be keen for a mission over the next few weeks. Would have to be sunday or monday though. Can take you to the few spots I know of up there. Oh and I'm not too extreme either. I dive from the shore, head out around the rocks and generally get a fish or two (conditions permitting)

well, the mininini (40cm) is souped up and ready to go.. yeah, it sounds small but packs a good whollop...fine for table fair for sure! We still don't have much for an itinerary set.. and still don't have our route picked from the fiordlands to the nelson area.. whether east coast or west coast. looks like most of our water time will be in the nelson, bay of plenty, and bay of islands area, but we'll hit the water all along for sure.

I would definitely go with the east coast. When you hit kaikoura ask the local dive shop wheres good. There is tonnes of kelp up and down the coast though. Good paua (125mm min) and butterfish or greenbone (35cm) on reefs throughout. Kaikoura is a major zone of upwelling, due to two current convergences. Nutrient rich deeper waters make it cold but teaming with sea life (by our standards, its no tropical reef). Have fun if you need any assistance 027 333 11 22.

Sorry I did not get in contact Spanner hectic. So spanner can you get yourself to kaikoura at some stage? Would be keen for a mission over the next few weeks. (conditions permitting)

No worries mate, I haven't been home anyhow. Over the last couple of weeks my family and I rented a house in Picton and spent our time diving for as many Schallops as I we could get in the Marlborough Sounds:D.

I managed to get 20 good size in the time that my Girlfreind burnt a tank on SCUBA. I was snorkling down to 16ish meters and my new Immersion Esclapez fins are great!!!

I can get to Kaikoura any weekend that suits. I go back to work on the 7th so won't be able to dive during the weekdays any more :(

But any weekend is all good :), I have just bought a IRB to use as a dive platform (Thankyou Santa!!!!) or we can do some shore dives, whatever suits.

TXT or ring me on 021 0451284
or alternativly email me JAWallace82@hotmail.com with your phone number and I can call you.

Cheers

Jared Wallace

Feb 23-24: Spearing buddy in the Christchurch region

Well, I'm writing the message just before I get on the plane. I'll be in Christchurch on the weekend of Feb 23 & 24, and would really enjoy teaming up with a fellow spearo.

As I'm on my own for these days, I'll probably rent a jeep with a tent kit and head up to Kaikoura to see what I can find...

If someone would be willing to put me up for Sat Sun night, I'll chip in $100 a night for a place to rest my head, and hopefully a day or so of diving.

First time to the South Island, and I'm looking forward to a memorable trip.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron
+1.818.614.4124

Hey there Aaron,

John (another spearo I met here) and I meet in Kaikoura for a dive sometimes. He travels up from Christchurch and I travel down from Blenheim. The sea is very stirred up at hte moment. Vis is really rubbish at the moment and to make matters worse there is a depleated Tropical Cyclone parked off the coast which is generating HUGE swells.

Hopefully things improve in the next couple of weeks.

Feel free to email me at JAWallace82@hotmail.com and some plans can be made from there.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT