• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing/Clarity Report - Central Wisconsin

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
If I am not working I am coming,,(don't know yet) I have seen Devils Lake only from above

Scott,

I will try to make it. Of course it depends on what I have for work and family obligations. Are you meeting at the north or south end?

Dan

Change of Plans- My sitter told me she can't watch my little one tuesday- due to Family emergency- So, I cannt go- I usually would enter in at North End.

Hey Guys,

My name's Ben and I'm from Tomah.
I just got into freediving and spearfishing this summer. I love it and can't get enough!

I've been to several lakes in WI but definitely NEED HELP and advice finding good lakes to go to.

I love shooting carp, but getting some panfish would be cool too.

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Hey Ben- Welcome to Deeperblue.com! There is a load of information on this website. I hope you can find or get help with what you are looking for and maybe see you out there.

Hi Ben,

Have you found any lakes near you with good visibility this time of year?

Dan

Wazee, but I use that mostly for freediving and practicing. Haven't had much luck finding decent sized panfish or carp. Saw 1 alright crappie & 1 carp (2 occations, didn't know there was carp in there). I always see a ton of bass and sometimes a few walleyes. My speargun doesn't get much action there.
How do you guys do there?

A Carp?- I've never seen a carp there- I see SUCKERS, but not carp. The Fish in Wazee are undersized. It's a Diving Lake not so much a spearfishing lake.

I don't know, sure looked like one to me. It was at least 24". The 1st time it really caught me off guard. I was diving and had my gun in the truck. After that, I always had it while diving. Just before Labor day I saw one again, but this one was BIG. I came around some trees, there was probably 8 nice bass, 2 walleyes, and then I saw the carp or sucker. I took a fast shot while it was moving away because I was about out of air and 30 down. I either missed or it didn't penetrate good enough.

What's the difference between carp and suckers? I've seen suckers before, maybe 12-16", but never any big ones. I've shot plenty of carp w/ a bow to know what they look like, common and buffalo.

What about lakes guys? I'm going out Saturday. I REALLY want to take a bunch of carp. Should I hit up Monona or where?

Hey guys I am looking to hunt on the weekend of the 3 or 10 south central south east up to about Milwaukee. Any info/imput

Anyone going out today? Sunny and going to be almost 70. Low last night was 50.

I had one cold/flu after another all last month, so I would really like to get out one more time this year.

I am thinking about some of the lakes by Oxford.

Dan

Well I went out..........well sort of. I drove the hour to the lake. This is my first year spearfishing so it was a new experience to see how the lake changed after all the plants died back. The lake looked twice as big. This lake is usually teaming with fish, but I couldn't see any. They must go deeper this time of year. Anyways after paddling around in my homemade diveyak, trying to find the fish, I decide to dive in and see if I could find them in the deeper water. Just then I heard a crack and my diveyak sagged down the middle seam :( So I decided to paddle back before it totally broke in two.

I will have to make a minor repair and change to it, and it should be better then before. It is probably better for my health that I didn't get in the cold water anyways, as I am not totally recovered from the cold/flu. At least my wife was happy.

Dan

Last edited:
That sucks Dan. When we were at wood lake last week- I found most of the pan fish in about 15-20' FOW. Except for the super large PIKE and BASS- those were real shallow.

Hi Scott,

Have you ever tried Deep lake just west of Wolf. It only has walk in access from a parking lot. I will have to get a small inner tube to put my flag in before I can try it out.

There are so many lake I want to get into next spring. My suit is only a 3/2 mm. I don't know if it will be warm enough when the season starts. I also have a rash guard suit I put on first.

Dan

Tass jumped in Deep lake ONCE - it was summer, so, the vis at that time was not the best. haven't tried it in Spring or Fall.

Man, I have to get back into the groove of spending time on here - looks like I've been missing opportunities in my backyard. I will go check out Deep Lake this morning. Not sure if I'll swim it, but I'll go look.

Checked it out and it didn't look too clear. It is really hard to tell there from the one vantage point though.

A Carp?- I've never seen a carp there- I see SUCKERS, but not carp. The Fish in Wazee are undersized. It's a Diving Lake not so much a spearfishing lake.

Confirmed: There are CARP in Wazee! I went out Saturday. Saw a bunch of trout, a couple smallies, and some BIG CARP. Saw the carp on 3 different dives, close encounters too. There was NO DOUBT they were carp. And they were all big (ranged from 20-30 lbs).

1st time I saw 3, hit one, but it didn't penetrate good enough. 2nd time there were 5 or 6. I shoulda just plugged the one right beneath me, but I tried to get a shot at the biggest one and couldn't. 3rd time I saw 2, but I wasn't able to get a shot off when they were within range.

The water clarity still isn't very good yet, ~10-12 ft or so where I was at. Water temp was 60 by the shore, so probably a little cooler if I would have taken it out a little bit.

Here are some pics from the day before Easter this year at Wazee. Water temp was 40. I found these two, Trout & Walleye, hung up on branches underwater, snags & broken lines from fishermen.

Attachments

• DSCN0575.jpg
    DSCN0575.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 208
  • DSCN0589.jpg
    DSCN0589.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 206
  • DSCN0568.jpg
    DSCN0568.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 206
Twenty pound carp? Those would have to have been planted.

I guess we now have a reason to bring the guns. Chara is a major part of Wazee's ecosystem. And carp ravage chara.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT