• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearing Monday June 28th

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.

StretchArmStron

Jan 19, 2004
Decided to head up to Murrels Inlet and check out the jetties there...1st spot held nothing but sandy water...

Waited for the tide to roll in a bit better and the south jetty cleared up.

Shot a few fish and decided the viz was clean enough for the little lady to tag along...she didnt' have her fins or wetsuit so I took my weight belt off and she stayed on my back while I crawled us along the rocks. We were entertained by various small fish until the 1st sheep came out of his hiding place...Making sure Ashley saw it I lined up the shot and pulled the trigger. Now it was Ash's turn.
We strung the fish on the float and resumed the slow crawling along the rocks. Within short order we were graced with a brace of sheeps. To my surprise Ash slipped off my back and let herself sink down while smoothley extending the gun...everything was perfect... except the shot...the fish tore off :-( I told her not to worry and we again started more rock crawling (by now I was pretty tired...but we were nearing the end of the jetty). All of a sudden I see her ease the gun to the left and the spear flys...right into a small sheep STONING it dead.

I don't know who was more happy/excited...her or me.

Sorry no pics of her sheep, just a big one I got last week. (that is a 5 gallon bucket it is being held up to)

Last edited:
Reactions: island_sands
I don't want to get caught up in semantics John, but technically that's "in front of..." not "up to".

Nice fish. I was going to give you a ring, but figured the torrential down pours would make diving a wash, literally.

Way to go Ash!!!! I heard her screaming in the background of the phone message. Does this mean we now have three freedivers in this state? Also, who's going to drive the boat while she's winning the women's division in the Picasso open? Rig her up one of your extra cannons and maybe we'll try for friday if your both still around.

Hey! How are we supposed to give karma to Ashley? You go little girl, nail them fishies!

haha,
Chris..the cannon is already rigged...I just cut that 1/4 shaft into a flopper...now to rig the float line and float.

I need ur damn schedule!

ps. Trust me...it was up next to the bucket. lol

where'd you shoot that fish? Not seeing any holes. Was he quartering away or didn't go all the way through?

the other side...right where the lateral line starts from its head...didn't go all the way through...stoned him dead

Nice shot! Send some of that beginner's luck my way ;)
Erik Y.

Defo,

If the fish is big that means meat is tight...That is why you can not see a hole on it...

fyi

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT