• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

spearing swordfish

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
well.. at least you will be in one piece at the end of the day :ko rofl

Count me in ;), i would shoot

I'm with freedivesniper, although i would have a buddy with a second gun just in case my theory was proven wrong.

I have an old issue of Apnea where two guys speared a nice swordfish and it's a big ole article. I'll see if I can't dig it up and the tips contained within for you -- will take time as I'll have to translate a bit -- and most importantly, find it first!

Now that I think about it -- I believe it was Marlin

Thanxx Everybody

Had a talk with a friend of mine (whom lives in Greece) and it is ok by law to hunt for swordfish... I am working on the set up now.... I think I will first go and have a look at the spots with the fisherman and then make my planning... I will have 2 of my friends in the water whom will not let me do it without them.... Trying to get one to film the whole thing... Butt it will still take some time before this will happen.. I will post it when I have my planning and my descisions made up about it... followed by pictures and film if I am succesfull and survive :)

Thanx again for the input
notis

Hi Notis

Legal size for swordfish catch is 120 cm (not counting the sword) in Greece. Good luck.

This guy is still preparing as I said before in this threat this wil take me a lot of time. I have been verry busy with work lately so have not had a lot of time to do anything. But thank you for your concern. :hmm :hmm

I swam with a large swordfish two years ago off the coast of southern Italy.
We were pulling a line with several fish on it about 18Nm offshore in about 300 meters of water off Capo Palinuro when someone noticed the fish, around 100kg inspecting the (now dead) fish on the hooks. I quickly put my fins on and grabbed my mask, then rolled off the marlin board at the back of the boat as quietly as possible. I levelled off around 3 or 4 meters under the boat and the huge fish came toward me, circling me a total of three times, no more than 2 meters away and level with me.

It was an awesome expecrence. The fish was very calm and moved slowly and gracefully. With each stroke of his tail you could see a the muscles ripple the length of his body, his huge eye turning in the socket watching me as he circled.

Had I had a gun, I would have taken him, but only because I was as close to %100 sure I could have made a kill shot in him, so close, and so slow.

I will always be ready in case it happens while deep sea fishing again, as it does from time to time in that part of the world where I spend a lot of time at sea.

I would use a breakaway rig, and plenty of floatation.

In my particular case, where the gear should be ready on hand if needed I think I will rig up a spear to a basket of line (the same we use for tuna) on board the boat for this year.

The gosh darn fishes actually knows when you have a spear gun!! Maybe the corporal signs of a lousy hunter like me, but they are real clever. That swordfish is not an exception. And Maybe is better for you that you haven`t a gun handy, otherwise maybe you couldn`t apreciate it from close!!!

Hi

Back from greece in Holland again. I did not succeed in catching a swordfish :waterwork I went out a couple of times but no luck in finding a nice size swordfish. I did see some smaller ones butt had to find one which was legal size and then get close to it. It was not easy.. In my whole three weeks I saw may be 2 of good size and they did not let me come close enough for a shot.

May be next vacation to greece. I rather shoot one good one than 10 whom are too small.

Thanxxx
Everybody

Good to hear that you are allright. Hope you get one next time. There are different techniques for bluewater hunting even different technique for different species so search and find someone who knows how to hunt them so you can get few usefull advice that will serve you good next time :)

I think picaso has a side-by-side spear gun proabably doesnt handle verry well but would be nice if you needed a quick second shot. If youre worried about getting charged try wearing one of thoes chest plates you see motocross riders wear proabably more trouble than it's worth but one did save my friends little brother from getting skewered by a fence post while they where out riding once (pretty nice buise though)

The problem with swords is that they can swing the bill side to side not just run straight into you.
I doubt that a chest protector would protect you much if an angry sword came at you.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT