• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo from Socal

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
Well you might find someone as we have a few Californian members.

Welcome to DB. I'm from San Clemente and keep my boat in dry storage at Dana Point Harbor. Do a search of my old posts to get an idea of what kind of diving I do, but I mostly target white sea bass and yellowtail. I just turned 78 yesterday, so I prefer to dive with people who have enough to experience to help me rather than need my help on things like cutting white sea bass out of the kelp at 50-55 feet, which is sort of a typical depth in the coastal kelp beds were we hunt. Strong backs for pulling anchors are a plus too. :)

I probably won't start diving again until late February or early March when the white sea bass show up. Since I'm retired I have the luxury of avoiding the weekend crowds at the launch ramp and the dive spots, so I generally dive on week days. This is a problem for the working classes, so sometimes I have difficulty finding anchor pullers.

Welcome to DB. I'm from San Clemente and keep my boat in dry storage at Dana Point Harbor. Do a search of my old posts to get an idea of what kind of diving I do, but I mostly target white sea bass and yellowtail. I just turned 78 yesterday, so I prefer to dive with people who have enough to experience to help me rather than need my help on things like cutting white sea bass out of the kelp at 50-55 feet, which is sort of a typical depth in the coastal kelp beds were we hunt. Strong backs for pulling anchors are a plus too. :)

I probably won't start diving again until late February or early March when the white sea bass show up. Since I'm retired I have the luxury of avoiding the weekend crowds at the launch ramp and the dive spots, so I generally dive on week days. This is a problem for the working classes, so sometimes I have difficulty finding anchor pullers.
I've been spearfishing for about 7 months. Mostly polespear. I have mostly freedive equipment. I tap out at 30ft and my breathe hold is 2min. So...I have til early March to get to your level. Challenge accepted!

If your breath hold is two minutes, you're way out of my league.

If you would like to come by my house some time and look at equipment that we use
bench.JPG
, listen to lies, etc., shoot me a PM. I have photos over my tool bench in the garage, and some of them provide inspiration for stories (if I can remember :)).

There are two clubs relatively close to Dana Point where you can meet divers. The Orange County Spearos meet in Costa Mesa and the North County Depth Finders meet in Carlsbad. Both clubs welcome non-members at meetings. I belong to the North County Facebook group and frequently see guys looking for buddies for beach dives.

There are two clubs relatively close to Dana Point where you can meet divers. The Orange County Spearos meet in Costa Mesa and the North County Depth Finders meet in Carlsbad. Both clubs welcome non-members at meetings. I belong to the North County Facebook group and frequently see guys looking for buddies for beach dives.
That's all great stuff man. I live near Costa Mesa and it'd be great to find some follow spearos. I'll see if I can invest in a gun so I can fit in. Just tough on my college budget to fit in a gun. Do you know where I can find a good bargain on one?

Here's the link for the web site.

http://www.ocspearos.org

And they have a FB group, OC Spearos and Friends.

Its hard for me to give advice on guns for beginners. I like wood guns, and have four Wong Hybrids from 50" to 60" and two rear handled Abellans, 110 cm and 130 cm. You can finds Wongs at bargain prices now and then, but even a bargain on those guns might be beyond your budget. They come with a lifetime warranty, even for second or subsequent owners, but you are not concerned about lifetime- you just want to get started. Probably the best bet would be a "rail gun" of 110 or 120 cm length, but I'm not qualified to point you to the best brands. However, there will be a lot of young guys in the club who are in similar circumstances, so I'm sure they can make suggestions.

If you are going to shoot white sea bass or yellowtail, you will need a reel or float line. Its my impression that many of those rail guns won't float with a reel attached, so that will be a question to ask. Almost all guns sink with the shaft in them, but you definitely want the gun to float after you shoot a fish.

Just for the hell of it, here is a photo of me with my first real gun, a Champion Arbalete. I think this was in 1953 when I was 14. They didn't make speargun reels back then, so that is a Penn Senator reel attached to the barrel with hose clamps and filled with heavy steel cable. It definitely didn't float with the shaft out. I shot goliath grouper (aka jewfish back then) over 100 pounds with that gun.

Attachments

• Drum.jpg
    Drum.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 116
Here is a possibility I saw on another board.

"Riffe 50 Inch Hawaiian Midhandle - bands need replacing, comes rigged with 55 inch 5/16 threaded shaft, tricut double flopper tip $250

Can meet anywhere from Marathon to Ft. Lauderdale, will ship at buyers expense.

Call of text (305) 509-2104"

And then later he said "make me an offer".

I could make new bands for you.

Happy belated birthday, Bill. That seems like a good deal on that Riffe.

Happy b/d Bill. Many happy returns. It's comforting to know someone older than I is still diving, even if it is less than a year older. Petted a shark yesterday for my first time, if basking sharks count.

Thanks Bill. I may still be diving, but I doubt I do it as well as you do.

Yes, basking sharks count. I'm jealous.

Reactions: Bill
DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT