• Welcome to the DeeperBlue.com Forums, the largest online community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing. To gain full access to the DeeperBlue.com Forums you must register for a free account. As a registered member you will be able to:

• Join over 44,280+ fellow diving enthusiasts from around the world on this forum
    • Participate in and browse from over 516,210+ posts.
    • Communicate privately with other divers from around the world.
    • Post your own photos or view from 7,441+ user submitted images.
    • All this and much more...

You can gain access to all this absolutely free when you register for an account, so sign up today!

Spearo knife Spearfishing knives 2019 - 2020 ?

Thread Status: Hello , There was no answer in this thread for more than 60 days.
It can take a long time to get an up-to-date response or contact with relevant users.
I won't buy a knife without a hole in the handle for a bungee. No knife is so good that it works after its dropped.

We'll, I've had a few chances to try carrying and using my 3 new knives - and my old flat knife.

Quick summary.

Old flat knife - failed to cut kelp root when I missed a fish but speared the tough kelp root. :(

New Immersion mini dagger, although much smaller, made short work of freeing my spear :). In fact, I found myself reaching for this knife, on my belt, most often. I really like it. The positive click when inserted into it's sheath completely is a reassuring key feature. :) I dropped it once but watched where it fell and recovered it - no lanyard hole :(. It has replaced my homemade ike jimi spike :).

The Spetton medium spearo dagger was more reassuring on my leg than the old flat knife but it did occur to me that, for a leg-mounted safety/backup knife, a larger knife would be more reassuring. The large version of this dagger perhaps or the classic Mares Snake (the ultimate spearo dagger?) or perhaps just a slightly meatier bowie-style blade with sharp, serrated back - for cutting kelp, rope, strong fishing line, net, etc.

The little samurai stayed in place on my wrist. I forgot it was there. I didn't feel confident that the Velcro would hold it securely. I found myself leaving it behind sometimes. Need more time to evaluate this one.

I have liked the look of these Salvimar Goemon knives. They are a bit pricey though. Anyone try one? I like the idea of having a spear extractor on the knofe and this tends to rule out many of them.

I just got a custom Polosub suit from Italy and the knife pocket on the thigh is not long enough for the knife I've been carrying in the old suit. Sending it back to Italy isn't practical, so I guess I need to find a smaller knife. A lanyard hole is a must for me.

Last edited:
I just got a custom Polosub suit from Italy and the knife pocket on the thigh is not long enough for the knife I've been carrying in the old suit. Sending it back to Italy isn't practical, so I guess I need to find a smaller knife. A lanyard hole is a must for me.

I can't believe you finally got a TRUE spearfishing wetsuit!

Show us some pictures!

Come on, black suits are the original true spearfishing suits. It’s just hard to find one any more.

Attachments

• 1951D007-29CB-4E25-B86D-842C4E9FE946.jpeg
    1951D007-29CB-4E25-B86D-842C4E9FE946.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 210
Reactions: Mr. X
I will tell everyone in here right now if you ever move anywhere warm you will never wanna put on, or even look at, another wetsuit again.

I will tell everyone in here right now if you ever move anywhere warm you will never wanna put on, or even look at, another wetsuit again.

I grew up diving in Florida in the early 1950s and wet suits hadn't been invented as far as I know. We dove in trunks all summer and just didn't dive in winter. This photo from 1953. But I like California, and wet suits are a necessity here.

Attachments

• Drum.jpg
    Drum.jpg
    130.4 KB · Views: 203
Reactions: Mr. X
Nice! I'm glad you finally got a good wetsuit. I'm sure you're going to enjoy it! :)

I have liked the look of these Salvimar Goemon knives. They are a bit pricey though. Anyone try one? I like the idea of having a spear extractor on the knofe and this tends to rule out many of them.
Pretty:

...but I prefer smaller and thinner point for dispatching and bigger for emergency cutting. But if you only carry one knife, perhaps a good compromise.

I don't think I'd heard of Salvimar a year or so ago. They seem to have become very popular very quickly with their crisp hi-tech designs. I see their spears are also rated highly by at least one forum member.

I've not yet encountered a the need for a spear puller. I once unclipped my spearline and pulled a spear forward through a fish - not worth the hassle unless you have no other option.

DeeperBlue.com - The Worlds Largest Community Dedicated To Freediving, Scuba Diving and Spearfishing

ABOUT US

ISSN 1469-865X | Copyright © 1996 - 2024 deeperblue.net limited.

DeeperBlue.com is the World's Largest Community dedicated to Freediving, Scuba Diving, Ocean Advocacy and Diving Travel.

We've been dedicated to bringing you the freshest news, features and discussions from around the underwater world since 1996.

ADVERT